British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   IRS Form 8802 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/irs-form-8802-a-425922/)

TRPardoe Feb 12th 2007 12:57 am

IRS Form 8802

This is the "Application for US Residency Certification" to provide the UK Inland Revenue with proof that I am a US resident and tax payer so that my pension (or anything else) is not taxed in the UK.

Does anyone here know how long it takes for this to get processed both by the US and the UK ?

Sentosa Feb 12th 2007 11:52 am

Re: IRS Form 8802

Originally Posted by TRPardoe (Post 4391752)
This is the "Application for US Residency Certification" to provide the UK Inland Revenue with proof that I am a US resident and tax payer so that my pension (or anything else) is not taxed in the UK.

Does anyone here know how long it takes for this to get processed both by the US and the UK ?

We did this last year, started in February and got it all sorted by July/August.We called the IRS a couple of times and they are really helpfull as to what to do and also the Inland Revenue was really helpful.Once you have got it sorted you have to send a form in every year.not before the 1st November we did ours 1st December and we have just got notification back from U.K. Last year we got all the tax back for the year from U.K and then had to pay the IRS some of but we are saving 2 thirds by paying U.S tax. If you don't send the form in every year you will pay U.K tax and of course there is a $35 fee for doing it now.

TRPardoe Feb 12th 2007 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Sentosa (Post 4393046)
We did this last year, started in February and got it all sorted by July/August.We called the IRS a couple of times and they are really helpfull as to what to do and also the Inland Revenue was really helpful.Once you have got it sorted you have to send a form in every year.not before the 1st November we did ours 1st December and we have just got notification back from U.K. Last year we got all the tax back for the year from U.K and then had to pay the IRS some of but we are saving 2 thirds by paying U.S tax. If you don't send the form in every year you will pay U.K tax and of course there is a $35 fee for doing it now.

UK Inand Revenue Expats Department told me recently that they only need the form once and then assume that it is current until told otherwise by me.

I'll re-check that.

Thanks,
Terrence

penguinsix Feb 12th 2007 1:35 pm

A slightly OT post:

Whenever you contact the IRS concerning something, the person on the other end will give you an 'operator number'. It is a good practice to write down the date/time of the call, the operator number, and what the call concerned.

There have been times when people have gotten bad advice over the phone, filed their taxes along that bad advice, and then, when a fuss was raised, been able to use the bad advice phone call as evidence to clear them of 'mis-filing.'

Not sure if that is the same in the UK, but thought I should mention it.

Sentosa Feb 12th 2007 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by TRPardoe (Post 4393171)
UK Inand Revenue Expats Department told me recently that they only need the form once and then assume that it is current until told otherwise by me.

I'll re-check that.

Thanks,
Terrence

We have received notice from the IRS that the form we sent them in December as been sent to the Inland Revenue.It is the IRS that requests that you send in the form each year. We have just filed our taxes since doing this and everything is in order apart from having to pay a few dollars because we had underestimated, but this could happen every year with the flutuation in exchange rates etc. Our neighbours from Germany have to do the same thing every year also and they have lived in the states since 1964.

TRPardoe Feb 12th 2007 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sentosa (Post 4394971)
We have received notice from the IRS that the form we sent them in December as been sent to the Inland Revenue.It is the IRS that requests that you send in the form each year. We have just filed our taxes since doing this and everything is in order apart from having to pay a few dollars because we had underestimated, but this could happen every year with the flutuation in exchange rates etc. Our neighbours from Germany have to do the same thing every year also and they have lived in the states since 1964.

Does this mean that to keep in line with the IRS you should pay your $35 every year and submit this form even if the UK does not need it ?

Sentosa Feb 12th 2007 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by TRPardoe (Post 4395566)
Does this mean that to keep in line with the IRS you should pay your $35 every year and submit this form even if the UK does not need it ?

Just checked with my OH and apparently the IRS want the form every year ,when he filed our taxes he was told also that we needed to send in the form every year as the IRS will inform the U.K . that you are not paying U.S taxes and then the U.K will take out the taxes.

TRPardoe Feb 13th 2007 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sentosa (Post 4395620)
Just checked with my OH and apparently the IRS want the form every year ,when he filed our taxes he was told also that we needed to send in the form every year as the IRS will inform the U.K . that you are not paying U.S taxes and then the U.K will take out the taxes.

If the IRS and IR can cooperate so well, I wonder why the credit reporting companies in both countries cannot do the same ?

Kestrelbms Feb 13th 2007 10:26 pm

Did you check that you're not better off off-setting ur UK tax allowances against the pension income?