Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IRS Filing questions

IRS Filing questions

Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Tigger3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IRS Filing questions

I'm aware this may not be the place to ask these questions but couldn't find anywhere else?
So I'm starting to file taxes with the IRS for the past 3 years. As the tax years in the UK and US are different, how should I calculate my earnings for each year? I don't have the specific information (i.e payslips etc.) to break it down. Also it asks for W2 forms which I know is the equivalent to P60. Again, I don't have any of my P60's and HMRC do not re-issue them. What I do have is one letter from HMRC summarising the past 3 years earnings and tax paid etc. Will this suffice if I attach the same letter to each form?

Thanks in adavance

Siobhain
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS Filing questions

Sounds like you're filing from the UK to the IRS office in London?

Have you looked at the wiki, up top? There's a good article in there about the back filing in the UK that might help.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that!

I have read the article, it's very helpful except it doesn't answer these couple of questions.
If only the IRS people at the London Embassy would ever answer their phones!

Thanks anyways
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

When my wife caught up with her filings as part of my immigrant visa process, she simply pro-rated her income from UK tax years to US. E.g. if she earned GBP36,000 in UK tax year 2008-2009 she applied 270/365ths to US tax year 2008 and the remaining 95/365ths to US tax year 2009.

She didn't send in any supporting documents in place of the W2s, and the IRS unit at the London embassy, nor the IRS in the US, didn't request any further evidence from her. Given that most US ex-pats in the UK are not going to have any tax liability to the US because of the Foreign-Earned Income Exclusion and credits for UK tax paid, I doubt very much if the London IRS cares unless you happen to be close to the FEIE limit.

Last edited by rpjs; Jul 28th 2014 at 8:33 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jul 28th 2014, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Well that puts me at ease! I'm filing them for my husbands visa also. Did you bring copies with you to the interview? Or just send them to the IRS office at the Embassy and that was that?

Thanks so much for the help btw
Old Jul 28th 2014, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you need to have copies for the interview. When you send them to the IRS in London, send TWO copies of the 1040, a stamped, addressed envelope back to yourself and a covering letter asking that they stamp the second 1040s as "RECEIVED" and send them back to you.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 11:58 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea if this is still true -- when I took US income tax law, the professor noted that not only could corporations chose their own tax year, but so could individuals. There was then an additional comment that the only individuals with other than the default calendar year were the children of tax accountants.
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Would be suggest using Fedex vs postal service to return from a foreign country, in my case Canada.

I can send it fedex overnight for 48 dollars CAD.

UPS says the address doesn't exist for the IRS in Austin so skipped them.

I can also use Canda Post XPress post which will then be delivered by the USPS, its 4 business day delivery time for 32 dollars and includes delivery confirmation and tracking.

Or just plain old regular mail for about 5 bucks, no tracking or confirmation it arrives.

I want to just send it normal mail, but not sure mailing with no proof and confirmation is a wise idea.