Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IRS - FBAR / OVDI / Opt- Out?

IRS - FBAR / OVDI / Opt- Out?

Old May 5th 2012, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

rsharma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IRS - FBAR / OVDI / Opt- Out?

I am participating in OVDI and planning to Opt out - any one here in the same boat? I am struggling to see if IRS is offering anyone 10% penalty if you opt out.

<Snip>

Last edited by Bob; May 6th 2012 at 12:11 am. Reason: Given benefit of the doubt that the link wasn't spam...
Old May 7th 2012, 12:17 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS - FBAR / OVDI / Opt- Out?

I wouldn't count on the IRS being kind...
I entered the VDP as it was in 2009. I had not wilfully avoided filing, I had just never lived in the States and was unaware of the reporting requirement.
In my case, I got fined per account per year, they at least did not fine me 20% of my largest balance, but it was still a fair amount of money.

You probably want to seek legal advice on this as there are many complexities involved including the amounts, potential fine and whether non-filing was willful or not.