Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IRS 8833, UK SIPP - which IRC specifically?

IRS 8833, UK SIPP - which IRC specifically?

Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default IRS 8833, UK SIPP - which IRC specifically?

Sorry, another tax filing question!

I believe I've gotten my head around the filing requirements for my UK SIPP for me, a dual UK/US citizen.
As far as I can see, since I received no income or distribution from this SIPP, but it did do well and realized some Capital Gains, I only need to file the FBAR/FATCA (Yes it's enough for both of those) and then file the 8833 to invoke article 18 of the tax treaty on the gains.

But where I'm drawing a blank is what to put in the 8833 box "List the Internal Revenue Code provision(s) overruled or modified by the treaty-based position" and also is there anything to put in box 4 on this same form - "List the provision of the limitation on benefits article in the treaty that the taxpayer relies on to prevent application of this article".

Phew, I consider my command of English to be pretty good, who the hell writes this stuff???
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:42 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IRS 8833, UK SIPP - which IRC specifically?

Originally Posted by TexasPenguin
Sorry, another tax filing question!

I believe I've gotten my head around the filing requirements for my UK SIPP for me, a dual UK/US citizen.
As far as I can see, since I received no income or distribution from this SIPP, but it did do well and realized some Capital Gains, I only need to file the FBAR/FATCA (Yes it's enough for both of those) and then file the 8833 to invoke article 18 of the tax treaty on the gains.

But where I'm drawing a blank is what to put in the 8833 box "List the Internal Revenue Code provision(s) overruled or modified by the treaty-based position" and also is there anything to put in box 4 on this same form - "List the provision of the limitation on benefits article in the treaty that the taxpayer relies on to prevent application of this article".

Phew, I consider my command of English to be pretty good, who the hell writes this stuff???
I'd ask this over at uk-yankee.com.

If you've solved the SIPP issue I applaud you, it's a constant area of "interpretation" depending on the ratio of employer to employee contributions and PFIC/foreign trust vs treaty exclusion.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

TexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeTexasPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

There have been no contributions to it at all since I moved to the US - it's totally based on a transferred private pension scheme which was doing deplorably badly and has performed very well since I opened the SIPP.
The trouble with advice from the UK-Yankee forum (and indeed most other sources to get such questions answered) is that most of the answers assume that only non US residents or citizens would ask the question! And the answers are very different for resident US citizens.
It seems to be a grey area whether you even need to file the 8833 but most "experts" seem to agree that it's in your best interests to do so.
The $1,000 fine for getting an apostrophe in the wrong place (yes, I'm exaggerating) is a bitch though!
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:27 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I'd still ask at uk-Yankee.

If you are going to claim the treaty exemption for your SIPP I'd get some professional advice so you have a good argument if the IRS comes knocking. If you get this wrong and PFIC and trust issues arise it could get nasty.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:13 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Beyond the fact that professional advice should be better than well-meaning amateur advice, a professional tax preparer will generally stand behind their work or advice and support you should you be questioned by the IRS. They may even be liable, or accept liability, for the penalties should the IRS rule against you.

Regards, JEff

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by nun
If you are going to claim the treaty exemption for your SIPP I'd get some professional advice so you have a good argument if the IRS comes knocking. If you get this wrong and PFIC and trust issues arise it could get nasty.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a UK stakeholder pension, comprised of contributions from opting out of SERPS in the 90s (about 70% of the total) and then some personal contributions I added myself (30%). It's had no contributions for years, long before we even moved to the US and is a piffling amount, about 8k altogether. I've even moved it into cash within the pension wrapper rather than have the money in funds tracking European and overseas indexes, to try and avoid PFIC-ness (I'm not entirely sure if this applies to the pension wrapper/ company itself, or the funds held... cash just seemed simpler).

It's galling me enormously that since I have no clue how to go about reporting this, I shall end up paying for somebody expensive to do the tax return this first year. I just daren't take the chance of getting it wrong.

Oh well, hopefully they'll take a nice, clear position that I can just copy across onto next year's form.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
I agree. Beyond the fact that professional advice should be better than well-meaning amateur advice, a professional tax preparer will generally stand behind their work or advice and support you should you be questioned by the IRS. They may even be liable, or accept liability, for the penalties should the IRS rule against you

Regards, JEff
Yeah, I'm trying to get a pro to take me on now.
It galls me enormously that this step is necessary but, hey-ho, in the scheme of things I guess it's just one more PIA in life's steady stream of them to deal with!
What's doubly infuriating is the Catch-22 situation:
The US pension funds are a doddle to report.
The UK ones are the aforementioned PIA. But, can you bring the UK ones here to solve the problem, can you hell!
So, Mr. Immigrant,
> if you have a UK fund you don't tell us about - we fine you gazillions of dollars.
> If you have a UK fund AND tell us about it but miss out one tiny detail of our totally incomprehensible forms - we fine you gazillions of dollars.
> If you want to make it simple and just bring it into the US system - Tough!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Wait till you retire. That's when reporting gets really interesting.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:20 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

I'm soooooooooo glad I only have US retirenment accounts.....no UK pensions, just state pension one day.

If I return to the UK all I have to do for HMRC for my IRA, 403b and 401a is write a note on my self assessment form about them mentioning Article 18, job done. The only problem area might be the 457, but I'll roll that over to an IRA before I return.

When I start taking income because I'll be a UK/US citizen taxed on an arising basis by the UK, I'll just use Article 24 and tax credits to avoid double taxation. There's no worry about foreign trusts or non-reporting funds (UK's version of PFIC).

Contrast this to the UK citizen moving to the US and having UK pension plans. The complexity, worry and uncertainty is a million times more.

Last edited by nun; Jan 31st 2013 at 5:40 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The complexity, worry and uncertainty is a million times more.
Not helping nun, not helping

But yes, I really wish there was a system to transfer these or cash them out. I honestly wouldn't mind paying the tax, a penalty, whatever, just to get shot of the problem - the stupid thing is that the amounts are so low it's likely to cost me more in professional advice over the years than the flipping fund will ever generate anyway <sulk>
Old Jan 31st 2013, 6:02 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kodokan
Not helping nun, not helping

But yes, I really wish there was a system to transfer these or cash them out. I honestly wouldn't mind paying the tax, a penalty, whatever, just to get shot of the problem - the stupid thing is that the amounts are so low it's likely to cost me more in professional advice over the years than the flipping fund will ever generate anyway <sulk>
Sorry, just pointing out some inconsistancies.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
I'm soooooooooo glad I only have US retirenment accounts.....no UK pensions, just state pension one day.

If I return to the UK all I have to do for HMRC for my IRA, 403b and 401a is write a note on my self assessment form about them mentioning Article 18, job done. The only problem area might be the 457, but I'll roll that over to an IRA before I return.

When I start taking income because I'll be a UK/US citizen taxed on an arising basis by the UK, I'll just use Article 24 and tax credits to avoid double taxation. There's no worry about foreign trusts or non-reporting funds (UK's version of PFIC).

Contrast this to the UK citizen moving to the US and having UK pension plans. The complexity, worry and uncertainty is a million times more.
The real irony is that we only became citizens to get shot of the damn DHS nonsense (swap one BGO [Brainless Government Organization] for another) and we fully intend ultimately to retire back to the UK - but even then we need easy access to the USA because both our kids live here now.
<Sigh> Life was so simple in our little Dorset village....
Remember ladies, this is the American Dream!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexasPenguin
So, Mr. Immigrant,
> if you have a UK fund you don't tell us about - we fine you gazillions of dollars.
> If you have a UK fund AND tell us about it but miss out one tiny detail of our totally incomprehensible forms - we fine you gazillions of dollars.
> If you want to make it simple and just bring it into the US system - Tough!
Lots of U.S. citizens overseas are in the same situation.

You need to take the tax filing requirements seriously but at the same time don't panic. As long as you pay U.S. taxes due you are unlikely to get fined because you make some mistake on a form. At least - despite all the scaremongering - there aren't any reported cases of this happening (except for those who went into voluntary disclosure programs that they didn't need to be part of ... )
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:18 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Lots of U.S. citizens overseas are in the same situation.

You need to take the tax filing requirements seriously but at the same time don't panic. As long as you pay U.S. taxes due you are unlikely to get fined because you make some mistake on a form. At least - despite all the scaremongering - there aren't any reported cases of this happening (except for those who went into voluntary disclosure programs that they didn't need to be part of ... )
The difficulty with the UK pensions is knowing how to deal with them. Are they pensions under the treaty, foreign trusts, PFIC etc
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
The difficulty with the UK pensions is knowing how to deal with them. Are they pensions under the treaty, foreign trusts, PFIC etc
When faced with excessive complexity, you have no option other than to take a reasonable approach, file your returns, pay any tax due and move on. Even if challenged, the IRS will have to find one of their employees who knows the law too ...

Longer term, there will be political pressure on the IRS to make it clearer how different foreign investments - especially retirement funds in specific countries - fit into the U.S. tax system. In the meantime, there is no real evidence to suggest the IRS are out to penalize otherwise compliant taxpayers just for the sake of levying penalties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.