Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ironing – sin … curse … purgatory?

Ironing – sin … curse … purgatory?

Old Sep 1st 2004, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ironing – sin … curse … purgatory?

late posting as usual but I have to say i detest using the drier, clothes come out crumpled and smelling stale (no i wont use those drier sheets either) I dry my clothes on a whirly line, when the weather isnt so good i dry them inside over a clothes horse. My iron is the first piece of electrical equipment i bought over here, i was visiting and tried to use a travel iron with no luck so went out and bought iron and board.
So my vote is ironing is actually a pleasure, it gives me time to stand and think about whats going on in my life, what needs doing etc ...

Jan

ooooo and i use starch too
Old Sep 1st 2004, 3:00 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really understand all this washing, drying and ironing... a strang thing..
I just drop clothes in my bathroom and a day or two later they are back in the draw all nicely cleaned and folded .. I think its done by the laundry fairy..
Old Sep 1st 2004, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

I iron everything except undies, night wear and sheets and just about everything goes through the tumble drier.

With a house surrounded by trees and hubbies 4 bird feeders in the garden or should I say yard a washing line is not an option.

Ash
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:22 pm
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I iron everything except undies, night wear and sheets and just about everything goes through the tumble drier.

With a house surrounded by trees and hubbies 4 bird feeders in the garden or should I say yard a washing line is not an option.

Ash
I was just going to reply by saying I use the dryer for everything! But then I noticed the advertising underneath the thread, did anyone else notice? How do they do that??

SEARS Irons & Accessories
SEARS Official Site -Huge Selection of Irons & Boards -We Match Prices
Built-In Ironing Centers
Hot iron storage. Portable ironing boards. Free shipping
Iron Away Cabinets
Wall Mounted Fold Away Quality Workmanship for your home
Iron-A-Way Iron Centers
Save space and time with these Wall Mount Ironing boards.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:35 pm

Neathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of lightNeathborn is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Ironing – sin … curse … purgatory?

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
So my vote is ironing is actually a pleasure, it gives me time to stand and think about whats going on in my life, what needs doing etc ...

Jan

Ditto here, I actually enjoy ironing for the same reason (don't send your ironing to me though ). I don't like using a dryer, but do so for convenience; however, our next door neighbour hangs her washing out on the line and I am contemplating getting a whirly line. Virginia is actually the first place I have seen people in the U.S. hang out washing -- Minnesota was too cold most of the time and as someone else mentioned, Texans look a bit askance if you hang out your washing.
Old Sep 1st 2004, 1:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbark
I was just going to reply by saying I use the dryer for everything! But then I noticed the advertising underneath the thread, did anyone else notice? How do they do that??
Built-In Ironing Centers
Iron Away Cabinets
Iron-A-Way Iron Centers
Treat yourself for your 1000th posting ..pay the $10 and you won't get any adverts...
Old Sep 1st 2004, 3:01 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbark

Built-In Ironing Centers
Iron Away Cabinets
Iron-A-Way Iron Centers
Its called content advertising. The page is scanned for keywords and then adverts are selected to match the page.

And no, I didn't notice them since I'm a paid up member
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
late posting as usual but I have to say i detest using the drier, clothes come out crumpled and smelling stale (no i wont use those drier sheets either) I dry my clothes on a whirly line, when the weather isnt so good i dry them inside over a clothes horse. My iron is the first piece of electrical equipment i bought over here, i was visiting and tried to use a travel iron with no luck so went out and bought iron and board.

Jan

I'm with you Jan, must be my age, but I was taught to iron at school in home ec class. Everything in our house gets ironed. Infact I have just left the ironing board after a 2 hour stint. Good excuse to watch the telly during the day without feeling guilty. Oh how I would love to be able to hang my wash out but HOA are a bunch of bastards and will not allow it under any circumstances. My husband is good at it too, he was in the military though. He hates taking his trousers to the cleaners, he goes ballistic when he gets them back, they usually have double creases in them, then he spends hours pressing them all out. I cannot for the life of me see paying the cleaners to launder shirts, what a complete waste of money. If you have to wear a clean shirt every day that is a pretty penny at the end of the week. I guess I am just old.

When I was growing up we did not have a washing machine. Everything was done in a deep sink with a scrubbing board and an old wringer attached to the sink middle. My mum had an electric boiler that she put on on a Monday morning without fail. All the whites went in there. When I got married in 1971, I used to wash all my sheets/large items in the bath and hung them outside. I worked night shift in a factory for a year to get the money for my first washing machine, that was about 1973. People nowadays say they do not have any time to do stuff like this, but with all the gadgets and supposed time saving machines we have I don't understand why not, there are still the same amount of hours in a day. I have always worked full time and managed to do all the ironing etc. Guess I am just an old fashioned saint!!!!!!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:10 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Is it considered bad form to whack one's husband around the head with a cold iron?
Old Sep 1st 2004, 8:11 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sibsie
Is it considered bad form to whack one's husband around the head with a cold iron?
Depends if it's deserved
Old Sep 1st 2004, 9:12 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rincewind
Depends if it's deserved
Hell yes and long overdue!
Old Sep 1st 2004, 10:17 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Hell yes and long overdue!
Just so long as you can convince a jury
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

I iron everything too, even underwear .... An iron was first on my list when I got here, although I have to say it's crap and my board is even crapper (is that a word lol?).... I finally got a tumble dryer a few weeks ago - a friend's mum was moving to Michigan and gave it to me, this thnig is from 1967 and still working It looks like something from an I Love Lucy episode but hey it works.... I had no need for one until recently as I would do my washing in the laundry on site and hang most of my stuff outside on the clothes dryer I bought from Walmart (yes I got strange looks too) until people complained. Leasing office called me and said could I please stop putting my clothes drier on the porch as it was highly inappropriate. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmmm
Old Sep 2nd 2004, 7:38 pm
Franklin

I think so!!!!

Thinking back I remember a good friend having a serious accident with an iron. He had a small flat, his bedroom doubled as a living room and for that matter also an ironing room. I guess he must have been doing some ironing early on, went out and came back late at night ... I suppose he hadn't put away the iron or the ironing board, the iron was sitting on the ironing board and he grabbed it but not round the handle. It was still on. *OUCH* He had a nasty burn injury on the inside of one of his hands.

I was on the same floor and he knocked on my door and said he needed help. I took one look at his hand and drove him in his car to the local casualty unit (OK, "ER"). They took their sweet time to see him, I think we sat for an hour or so before he got taken care of. The pain must have been awful. Yuk-ee-dar is all I can say. (He told me later that he found some of his skin on the base/flat side of the iron .... *grrrrrr horrible*). :scared:

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Sep 2nd 2004 at 7:42 pm.

Old Sep 2nd 2004, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
I iron everything too, even underwear .... An iron was first on my list when I got here, although I have to say it's crap and my board is even crapper (is that a word lol?).... I finally got a tumble dryer a few weeks ago - a friend's mum was moving to Michigan and gave it to me, this thnig is from 1967 and still working It looks like something from an I Love Lucy episode but hey it works.... I had no need for one until recently as I would do my washing in the laundry on site and hang most of my stuff outside on the clothes dryer I bought from Walmart (yes I got strange looks too) until people complained. Leasing office called me and said could I please stop putting my clothes drier on the porch as it was highly inappropriate. Things that make ya go hmmmmmmmmmm

I am the only one in the street that hangs washing out to dry. I can't bear to put dryer on when it is so easy to dry outside.
I think the neighbours just say "its that mad British women!!!"
They think that all the time....
Can't believe they actually complained to you about your washing lol
As for ironing underwear, my mum has always done it & taught me to but sheets & underwear I don't bother otherwise everything else is ironed.
Sue