Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

IR-1 Approved! TN here i come (with cats)

IR-1 Approved! TN here i come (with cats)

Old Dec 10th 2006, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default IR-1 Approved! TN here i come (with cats)

So, just under 2 years from submitting my application, the US Gov have decided to let me move! SWEET

I have been away from the website for a while now, new job, but am back in a big way now... begging for advice on the move and settling in to the U S of A...

Its looking like im coming over in March, when its warm enough to bring my cats. So if anyone has any basic advice or experiences on moving their pets and shipping their belongings, please share!

Its looking like we will just buy the cats a ticket with US airways and fly with them in the hold, but if anyone has a better idea, im all ears!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:35 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice
Default Re: IR-1 Approved! TN here i come (with cats)

where in TN are you heading to ?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
where in TN are you heading to ?
Heading towards Manchester (wifes family live there) but will ultimately end up in murfreesboro or another Nashville suburb.

a little different to London :scared:
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:46 pm

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by basementwaj
Heading towards Manchester (wifes family live there) but will ultimately end up in murfreesboro or another Nashville suburb.

a little different to London :scared:
true - but you'll get used to it ! ........ I'm in the process of moving the Nashvegas at the moment !
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

true - but you'll get used to it ! ........ I'm in the process of moving the Nashvegas at the moment !
where on earth is Nashvegas!?!? at least that sounds fun and i should maybe head there!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

where on earth is Nashvegas!?!? at least that sounds fun and i should maybe head there!
How have you found the transition between UK and TN?

Whats the job market like in Nashville at the moment?
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:03 pm

How have you found the transition between UK and TN?

Whats the job market like in Nashville at the moment?
The transition is not too bad.... Prices are something that took me a while to get used to - I spent forever workingout what it was in GBP and complaining or say it was cheap, before getting used to just working it out compared to how much I was being paid. Ad even though I sid I'd never complain, my wife does point out to me that I occasionally moan when gas prices go up ! (Since gas is so cheap copared to the UK).

Jobs in Nashville - the market generally isn't booming, but since it's such a big city, there are always plenty of opportunities - I cheated and got a new job in the same company, just in a new office.

How long have you guys been married and what's the story with that ? My ball and chain and I met online about 8 years ago I guess... been married and living here since 2002 now.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

The transition is not too bad.... Prices are something that took me a while to get used to - I spent forever workingout what it was in GBP and complaining or say it was cheap, before getting used to just working it out compared to how much I was being paid. Ad even though I sid I'd never complain, my wife does point out to me that I occasionally moan when gas prices go up ! (Since gas is so cheap copared to the UK).

Jobs in Nashville - the market generally isn't booming, but since it's such a big city, there are always plenty of opportunities - I cheated and got a new job in the same company, just in a new office.

How long have you guys been married and what's the story with that ? My ball and chain and I met online about 8 years ago I guess... been married and living here since 2002 now.
We met in London in 2003, my wife was taking part in the BUNAC programme and spent 6 months working here. We met during her first week and were together till she left. We visited each other constantly for about months till we got married. She has lived here in the UK since, but always wanted to head back home. So TN here we come!

I can imagine im gonna have the same issues with money translations, gas prices, and my biggest fears.... Tax and Health care.
Also, i dont have a credit score so buying a house is going to be a challenge!
I think not having a job will be the biggest culture shock though, so if you have any contacts that need someone, let me know!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:16 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

So, just under 2 years from submitting my application, the US Gov have decided to let me move! SWEET

I have been away from the website for a while now, new job, but am back in a big way now... begging for advice on the move and settling in to the U S of A...

Its looking like im coming over in March, when its warm enough to bring my cats. So if anyone has any basic advice or experiences on moving their pets and shipping their belongings, please share!

Its looking like we will just buy the cats a ticket with US airways and fly with them in the hold, but if anyone has a better idea, im all ears!
We flew in April from London to Memphis with our cat via American Airlines and she was fine. The health inspector just looked at the paperwork and said "One black cat" and his assistant said "check". That was it. However, If you do like we did and attach food packets to the pet carrier ( optional but was advised to do it) make sure that they are NOT Beef or US Agriculture will not be happy.

The problem with travelling with cats is that you have to prepare yourself for the worst. There is a risk that they wont make it. We made the decision to take ours as she would pine herself to death if we left her and we were prepared for the risk.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dan_alford
We flew in April from London to Memphis with our cat via American Airlines and she was fine. The health inspector just looked at the paperwork and said "One black cat" and his assistant said "check". That was it. However, If you do like we did and attach food packets to the pet carrier ( optional but was advised to do it) make sure that they are NOT Beef or US Agriculture will not be happy.

The problem with travelling with cats is that you have to prepare yourself for the worst. There is a risk that they wont make it. We made the decision to take ours as she would pine herself to death if we left her and we were prepared for the risk.
holy shit, do they have a tendancy to die in the hold???????
my cats are house cats and have never been away from me apart from odd weeks for holidays... ive had em for 10 years now!
I was thinking of flying US Airways, was just wondering what the procedure for flight transfers is... i.e. we will probably fly to Charlotte and then onto Nashville... is it like luggage when you collect it at CHLT and recheck them for NSHVL or will the animal reception people look after them in that time?

Did you give your cat a sedative at all? How was it with bathroom issues etc..?

thanks in advance by the way!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:04 pm
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

holy shit, do they have a tendancy to die in the hold???????
my cats are house cats and have never been away from me apart from odd weeks for holidays... ive had em for 10 years now!
I was thinking of flying US Airways, was just wondering what the procedure for flight transfers is... i.e. we will probably fly to Charlotte and then onto Nashville... is it like luggage when you collect it at CHLT and recheck them for NSHVL or will the animal reception people look after them in that time?

Did you give your cat a sedative at all? How was it with bathroom issues etc..?

thanks in advance by the way!
I can't remember the statistics but it was a worrying thing for us when we moved. Do NOT sedate the cats as this increase the chance of death by a lot. They are better when they are aware of their surroundings.

What happened to us is as follows:

Arrive Chicago.
Go through immigration
Collect luggage and cat carrier.
Take cat carrier to health inspector
Go through customs ( this is when the Agriculture people asked about the food)
Recheck baggage and cat for flight to Memphis.
Collect baggage and cat from Memphis.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can't remember the statistics but it was a worrying thing for us when we moved. Do NOT sedate the cats as this increase the chance of death by a lot. They are better when they are aware of their surroundings.

Arrive Chicago.
Go through immigration
Thanks for this, good to know!

Will look into the statistics for shipping them!

thanks again, Karma to you!
Old Dec 11th 2006, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arrive Chicago.
Go through immigration
Sorry dan, just a quickie,

what paperwork did you have to take for the cat?

thx
Old Dec 11th 2006, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Arrive Chicago.
Go through immigration

Our vet in England said the same about sedating our dogs for air travel...said a vet would need to be in attendance.
Old Dec 11th 2006, 3:39 pm
Slight chance of Showers

Sorry dan, just a quickie,

what paperwork did you have to take for the cat?

thx
It was just a signed letter from a UK vet saying that the cat was in general good health and disease free. Don't think there is any official paperwork for pet travel.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.