British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   iPlayer probs on StrongVPN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/iplayer-probs-strongvpn-758657/)

Nutek May 21st 2012 2:09 am

Re: iPlayer probs on StrongVPN

quickfix...

Leave the lappy parked next to the tv and use a PC Remote to control the laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...te%2Caps%2C197

kins May 21st 2012 2:30 am

We're about to switch off our cable TV and go to just internet TV. Only thing stopping us at the moment (other than inertia) is working out how to watch Patriots games.

Bob May 21st 2012 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 10073041)
...Only thing stopping us at the moment (other than inertia) is working out how to watch Patriots games.

The pub?

If you know anyone with FIOS etc that wouldn't mind you logging into ESPN via their login name, you could watch it that way.

kins May 22nd 2012 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10073730)
The pub?

If you know anyone with FIOS etc that wouldn't mind you logging into ESPN via their login name, you could watch it that way.

I'm sure he'd like the idea of the pub but I need him home to do the ironing :-)

Can he get a login to ESPN? Or do you have to buy it through the cable TV contract?

Nutek May 22nd 2012 11:37 am

Pretty sure you need to go thru the cable company :(

There is some ESPN content available online, but I'm betting the stuff you want is blacked out.

Bob May 22nd 2012 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 10075073)
Can he get a login to ESPN? Or do you have to buy it through the cable TV contract?

ESPN online content, the full content is tied to cable, I think FIOS, Comcast, Time Warner and a couple others, the folks are on Dish or Direct, can't remember but they don't have it.

You use your cable account details to log in to get the streaming content and can't get it alacart.

newadventure May 22nd 2012 4:29 pm

Nutek,
Brilliant, thanks. I have ordered one. In the meantime i have installed TeamViewer on laptop and iPad so can control from the sofa. Now just need it to be able to make a decent cup of tea. Actually next step might be freeing up the laptop, do i need a full-blown PC to replace it here or is there some cut down version that enables browser to be installed and VPN to be set up?
Cheers

kimilseung May 22nd 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 10073041)
We're about to switch off our cable TV and go to just internet TV. Only thing stopping us at the moment (other than inertia) is working out how to watch Patriots games.

I know nothing about this, but would the online NFL game rewind service help?

Nutek May 22nd 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10075999)
Nutek,
Brilliant, thanks. I have ordered one. In the meantime i have installed TeamViewer on laptop and iPad so can control from the sofa. Now just need it to be able to make a decent cup of tea. Actually next step might be freeing up the laptop, do i need a full-blown PC to replace it here or is there some cut down version that enables browser to be installed and VPN to be set up?
Cheers

Probably more elegant ways to do it (proper HTPC for instance) ... I just stashed a laptop in the bottom of my TV stand. That and the Roku do most of what I want. :)

kins May 25th 2012 12:36 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10076010)
I know nothing about this, but would the online NFL game rewind service help?

Hmmm we might give that a go, combined with sports bars for when he's desperate to see a game live.

We cut off Time Warner TV today - will be interesting to see if anyone in the house misses it other than for football.

Nutek May 25th 2012 12:43 am

The only reason we really keep ours is my Formula One addiction. I cant figure out how to get it any other way. (I'm sure some dodgy torrent has em but I'm lazy). :)

fatbrit May 25th 2012 12:52 am

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10075999)
Nutek,
Cheers

While you can mess about for ever hacking secondhand boxes (I like the old Apple TV G1), it's easiest to throw a PC in there. Either an Atom/Ion or an AMD Llano in a similar package is enough for most HTPC needs.

e.g. http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Intel-Ba...dp/B004WO8O9Y/

Bob May 25th 2012 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10080577)
The only reason we really keep ours is my Formula One addiction. I cant figure out how to get it any other way. (I'm sure some dodgy torrent has em but I'm lazy). :)

aye, there are sport torrent sites that have it up, but they are huuuuge...and obviously not live :)