British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   iPlayer probs on StrongVPN (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/iplayer-probs-strongvpn-758657/)

newadventure May 18th 2012 2:16 am

iPlayer probs on StrongVPN

Sorry, I know it has been covered loads of times before, but i can only find posts saying how well it works on StrongVPN.

I have tried 4OD, and that works fine. When i go to iPlayer, i don't get the msg saying that it is unavailable outside UK, but i just get a blank screen when i press Play.

I have tried switching server and get the same on all 3 servers i have tried. Is it possible that BBC have flagged these servers and i am just unlucky, or am i doing something stupid?

Thanks

newadventure May 18th 2012 3:25 am

Re: iPlayer probs on StrongVPN

Gah...i tried in IE and it worked. Doesn't work in my version of Firefox for some reason. Sorted

cluedweasel May 18th 2012 7:09 am

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10068102)
Gah...i tried in IE and it worked. Doesn't work in my version of Firefox for some reason. Sorted

That's a weird one. I watch iPlayer in FF using Strongvpn fine. Glad you got a workaround though. Chrome works fine here too.

Nutek May 18th 2012 10:51 am

Might be worth trying a Flash update.

Wish 4oD had a download/record function. I thought it used to, but seems to be missing now.

dinosaur May 18th 2012 1:23 pm

imho, Chrome seems to work best for UK TV services (iPlayer, 4od, itv).

Perhaps not exactly related to original post, depending on VPN provider, bandwidth likely fluctuates....when low, the iPlayer has a useful "low bandwidth" option on each page. However, haven't found an equivalent on 4od (which would be nice). Of course, also there's the iPlayer downloader for those that plan ahead.

Nutek May 18th 2012 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 10068901)
Of course, also there's the iPlayer downloader for those that plan ahead.

Gotta download my Eastenders and (1977) ToTP :D

newadventure May 18th 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks all for replies

RE: Flash update - this might be partly related. When i went to IE it told me i needed a new Flash update. After installing it worked fine, but Firefox still didn't. Probably something specific to my settings/addons etc.

Might give Chrome a try
Cheers

Nutek May 18th 2012 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10069278)
Thanks all for replies

RE: Flash update - this might be partly related. When i went to IE it told me i needed a new Flash update. After installing it worked fine, but Firefox still didn't. Probably something specific to my settings/addons etc.

Might give Chrome a try
Cheers

Did the same to me a week or so ago. i had to reinstall Flash twice, once with the vpn connected, once without. maybe a regional setting or something?

It's worked fine ever since.

newadventure May 18th 2012 4:56 pm

Ok, might give that a go then. I'm about to bite the bullet and order an INTERNET ONLY service from Comcast and rely on iPlayer, Netflix and antenna for our tv. Not sure the kids are going to like it....

Nutek May 18th 2012 5:06 pm

I will be interested to see how that works out.

I have comcast right now (yuck... yay for no choice), but a lot of our viewing is Amazon Prime (Roku) and iPlayer.
The stuff we do watch from comcast is all off of the DVR as i just cannot get used to all the damn commercials.

dinosaur May 18th 2012 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10069336)
Not sure the kids are going to like it....

Cut the cord over a year ago, and the kids are fine with it - they did used to watch the Disney Channel and Nickleodeon, but with Fineas and Ferb on Netflix, plus plenty of other things, as well as CBBC, and PBS via antenna, there's no problem. It's also resulted in them introducing many of their friends to Horrible Histories...

One other thing is that with a Netflix subscription, have noticed when you tunnel to the UK via VPN and bring up Netflix, you get the UK selection - it's a little different than the US selection.

newadventure May 18th 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks for the tip, Dinosaur. I was hoping it would be easier to not give them the option in the first place vs try and wean them off later. And now the wife has found 24 on Netflix, she is happy.

Bob May 18th 2012 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10069278)
Thanks all for replies

Might give Chrome a try
Cheers

When you install Flash, there is a specific version for IE and then you need to install the non-IE version for other browsers.

http://filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/ Links down at the bottom.

newadventure May 21st 2012 1:43 am

Thanks for all replies. Moving slightly o/t here, but wondering if i can still pick your collective brains...

So, i've got my iPlayer etc and can hook up my laptop to the tv using an hdmi cable, but now i'm getting fussy and i want to control what i watch from the sofa rather than get up and walk to the laptop. I'm wondering how these streaming boxes work - can i use strongvpn on these so i can stream from iPlayer? Or are they somehow hardwired to the various streaming sites (netflix etc)?

Or, i would like to buy a blu ray/dvd player - if i get a wireless enabled player, will that be able to connect wirelessly to the laptop and use the strongvpn link on the laptop, and then have the laptop next to me on the sofa.

Or should i get a longer hdmi cable?
Cheers

Bob May 21st 2012 1:59 am

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10073003)
Thanks for all replies. Moving slightly o/t here, but wondering if i can still pick your collective brains...

So, i've got my iPlayer etc and can hook up my laptop to the tv using an hdmi cable, but now i'm getting fussy and i want to control what i watch from the sofa rather than get up and walk to the laptop. I'm wondering how these streaming boxes work - can i use strongvpn on these so i can stream from iPlayer? Or are they somehow hardwired to the various streaming sites (netflix etc)?

Or, i would like to buy a blu ray/dvd player - if i get a wireless enabled player, will that be able to connect wirelessly to the laptop and use the strongvpn link on the laptop, and then have the laptop next to me on the sofa.

Or should i get a longer hdmi cable?
Cheers

If you get a blu-ray player, the Sony one will have most of the movie sites built in and work well and you can use serviio or whatever to stream stuff from your laptop, but the current version doesn't stream webcontent so there's a bit of a shit work around. If you used a media box to stream, you'd have the issue of either firmware hacking it to use the VPN, or you'd have to set up your router to auto switch the VPN on depending on the content.

Nutek May 21st 2012 2:09 am

quickfix...

Leave the lappy parked next to the tv and use a PC Remote to control the laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...te%2Caps%2C197

kins May 21st 2012 2:30 am

We're about to switch off our cable TV and go to just internet TV. Only thing stopping us at the moment (other than inertia) is working out how to watch Patriots games.

Bob May 21st 2012 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 10073041)
...Only thing stopping us at the moment (other than inertia) is working out how to watch Patriots games.

The pub?

If you know anyone with FIOS etc that wouldn't mind you logging into ESPN via their login name, you could watch it that way.

kins May 22nd 2012 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10073730)
The pub?

If you know anyone with FIOS etc that wouldn't mind you logging into ESPN via their login name, you could watch it that way.

I'm sure he'd like the idea of the pub but I need him home to do the ironing :-)

Can he get a login to ESPN? Or do you have to buy it through the cable TV contract?

Nutek May 22nd 2012 11:37 am

Pretty sure you need to go thru the cable company :(

There is some ESPN content available online, but I'm betting the stuff you want is blacked out.

Bob May 22nd 2012 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 10075073)
Can he get a login to ESPN? Or do you have to buy it through the cable TV contract?

ESPN online content, the full content is tied to cable, I think FIOS, Comcast, Time Warner and a couple others, the folks are on Dish or Direct, can't remember but they don't have it.

You use your cable account details to log in to get the streaming content and can't get it alacart.

newadventure May 22nd 2012 4:29 pm

Nutek,
Brilliant, thanks. I have ordered one. In the meantime i have installed TeamViewer on laptop and iPad so can control from the sofa. Now just need it to be able to make a decent cup of tea. Actually next step might be freeing up the laptop, do i need a full-blown PC to replace it here or is there some cut down version that enables browser to be installed and VPN to be set up?
Cheers

kimilseung May 22nd 2012 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by kins (Post 10073041)
We're about to switch off our cable TV and go to just internet TV. Only thing stopping us at the moment (other than inertia) is working out how to watch Patriots games.

I know nothing about this, but would the online NFL game rewind service help?

Nutek May 22nd 2012 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10075999)
Nutek,
Brilliant, thanks. I have ordered one. In the meantime i have installed TeamViewer on laptop and iPad so can control from the sofa. Now just need it to be able to make a decent cup of tea. Actually next step might be freeing up the laptop, do i need a full-blown PC to replace it here or is there some cut down version that enables browser to be installed and VPN to be set up?
Cheers

Probably more elegant ways to do it (proper HTPC for instance) ... I just stashed a laptop in the bottom of my TV stand. That and the Roku do most of what I want. :)

kins May 25th 2012 12:36 am

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10076010)
I know nothing about this, but would the online NFL game rewind service help?

Hmmm we might give that a go, combined with sports bars for when he's desperate to see a game live.

We cut off Time Warner TV today - will be interesting to see if anyone in the house misses it other than for football.

Nutek May 25th 2012 12:43 am

The only reason we really keep ours is my Formula One addiction. I cant figure out how to get it any other way. (I'm sure some dodgy torrent has em but I'm lazy). :)

fatbrit May 25th 2012 12:52 am

Originally Posted by newadventure (Post 10075999)
Nutek,
Cheers

While you can mess about for ever hacking secondhand boxes (I like the old Apple TV G1), it's easiest to throw a PC in there. Either an Atom/Ion or an AMD Llano in a similar package is enough for most HTPC needs.

e.g. http://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Intel-Ba...dp/B004WO8O9Y/

Bob May 25th 2012 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10080577)
The only reason we really keep ours is my Formula One addiction. I cant figure out how to get it any other way. (I'm sure some dodgy torrent has em but I'm lazy). :)

aye, there are sport torrent sites that have it up, but they are huuuuge...and obviously not live :)