Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

iPhone / iTunes related question.

iPhone / iTunes related question.

Old May 17th 2019, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

LiamUK87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default iPhone / iTunes related question.

So, I moved over to the US in February and brought my phone with me, I now have a US sim. However, the last thing I need to do is switch my iPhone over to the US app store using a US payment method.

My only question is, and hopefully somebody may know as it has been difficult to find anything via Google, is that when I switch over, will my UK-based apps i.e. Sky Sports/BBC/Guardian etc still be available for me to use? As as far as I am aware, they aren't on the US app store.
Old May 17th 2019, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPhone / iTunes related question.

They'll remain installed but I don't think they'll update going forward and when you get a replacement phone you won't be able to download them without switching app stores. It is possible to create a second UK iTunes account to download them though.
Old May 17th 2019, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I have kept both a US and UK credit card and switch Apple Stores fairly often as I have apps in both countries. e.g. my IRAs are with Vanguard and their app is only available in the US Apple store. (I live in the UK)
Old May 17th 2019, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiamUK87 View Post
So, I moved over to the US in February and brought my phone with me, I now have a US sim. However, the last thing I need to do is switch my iPhone over to the US app store using a US payment method.

My only question is, and hopefully somebody may know as it has been difficult to find anything via Google, is that when I switch over, will my UK-based apps i.e. Sky Sports/BBC/Guardian etc still be available for me to use? As as far as I am aware, they aren't on the US app store.
I believe to purchase UK apps you need to use a UK credit card.
Old May 17th 2019, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

The Guardian app is available internationally. For things like the BBC and Sky you may (will for BBC) need a VPN to make it look like you're in the UK to use them.
Old May 17th 2019, 8:50 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

As others have noted you can have multiple App Store logins, if you have gmail just us the + in your address for the separate login. I have apps from UK, NZ and US that I use and need to keep up to date and so have 3 logins on the same gmail. It’s a pain to switch but works.

e.g.
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
Old May 18th 2019, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

What they said^

Another thing to note is that if you have Apple Music, you have to cancel the subscription, wait for the end date of that subscription, and only then can you change your account to the US store. That was a pain in the bum when I moved here as it meant I couldn't get any of the public transport or banking apps for 3 weeks.
Any UK installed apps will remain but won't update and you'll get fed up of that quite quickly. I ended up ditching everything on my iPhone, but the iPad still has BBC iPlayer so that I can still get my Masterchef fix with a VPN It's minor annoyance having to switch stores to do the updates, but if you're minimally using the apps you only really need to update them once they hit a point where they won't work without an update.
Old May 18th 2019, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MorsePacific View Post
Any UK installed apps will remain but won't update and you'll get fed up of that quite quickly. I ended up ditching everything on my iPhone, but the iPad still has BBC iPlayer so that I can still get my Masterchef fix with a VPN
iPlayer works in Safari on iOS so you don't need the app, FYI
Old May 19th 2019, 9:43 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You can have multiple accounts in multiple countries that download apps to your phone, but you can only be logged into the App Store one country at a time, which means auto-updating will be limited. You'll need to logout of the US account and log into the UK account and then update the UK apps, then logout of the UK and log back into the US account and update the US apps, etc. In addition, some of the UK/US apps are geo-locked, meaning you won't be able to stream say NOW TV/Sky Go while in the USA unless you use a VPN or a SmartDNS.

One final note: sometimes Apple asks for you to re-enter your credit card details to verify that it is still really you and sometimes, during this process, Apple does a geo-location check on where you are when inputting these details, so if you get that message best to turn on a VPN and do it while "located" in the UK. Took me a month to fix that after my account got a temporary suspension for suspected fraud due to being overseas when I verified my credit card.
Old May 21st 2019, 7:21 pm
KCMO

michaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond reputemichaelr711 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't even need multiple accounts - you can just change the region on your account whenever you want. Super simple. Subscriptions may make it more complicated I don't know on those.
Old May 24th 2019, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza is an unknown quantity at this point

Few Apps are available for updates in the international app store (i.e Lloyds bank) others not (i.e. Barclays).
The app will be there and you can use it, unless the app works with location active (i.e BBC, Betting Apps,...)

What I do with my Barclays app is basically use it until I see a message the App is too old that does not open, so I go to the settings change the App store country to UK, download the new updated App and switch back to US store.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!