British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   iPhone 4 in US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/iphone-4-us-761363/)

civilservant Jun 11th 2012 12:20 pm

iPhone 4 in US

This has probably been asked before, but I would like anyone who has done it or knows ths answer to reassure me!

If I unlock my UK iPhone (currently on vodafone - allowing me to insert any SIM) and insert a PAYG US SIM into it (LEts just say AT&T, for example), is there any reason why it wouldnt work?

Thanks all!

Nutek Jun 11th 2012 12:21 pm

Re: iPhone 4 in US

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10112464)
This has probably been asked before, but I would like anyone who has done it or knows ths answer to reassure me!

If I unlock my UK iPhone (currently on vodafone - allowing me to insert any SIM) and insert a PAYG US SIM into it (LEts just say AT&T, for example), is there any reason why it wouldnt work?

Thanks all!

I dont know on the 4. It worked on my 3GS though.

rpjs Jun 11th 2012 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10112464)

Thanks all!

Yes, I have done it - it all works except for voicemail, and I dare say I could get that working if I could be arsed to figure it out. If you want data with AT&T, you'll need to go for a monthly-prepaid plan (the $2 per day plan no longer supports data) and pay for a data package, and you'll need to download the iPhone configuration utility from Apple and set up an AT&T APN - there's plenty of instructions on how to do this around the web.

You're currently limited to AT&T as only they and T-Mobile use the European GSM standard, and T-Mobile have yet to upgrade their network to support fast iPhone data. There might be some virtual operators who use AT&T's network who might offer PAYG deals too.

civilservant Jun 11th 2012 2:34 pm

Thanks :) That's good news. I had looked at the $25pm plan and adding a $25 data bundle, to be honest that's less than I pay now so appears to be a good deal.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 11th 2012 2:56 pm

My son put an ATT go Phone sim in his and puts a $25 card on each month. Free texts and a set amount of talk time and he uses the internet on it.
He also downloaded an app that allows him to text UK for free, his brother in UK downloaded the same app.

fatbrit Jun 11th 2012 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10112710)
Thanks :) That's good news. I had looked at the $25pm plan and adding a $25 data bundle, to be honest that's less than I pay now so appears to be a good deal.

The best deals on smart phones are the PAYG ones from the smaller, no-contract carriers. Cricket and Virgin USA both recently started offering iPhones. No idea whether a UK one would work on their networks. Of course, you'll get an even better deal if you ditch the iPhone (which are seriously uncool) and use an Android phone instead.

civilservant Jun 11th 2012 3:40 pm

Used several androids in the past- I owned the Galaxy S II for about 24 hiurs before returning it- but honestly I get board of them really quickly. I like the Apple UI. Since I have 2 Macs and like the iTunes integration I'll stick with Apple thanks :p

fatbrit Jun 11th 2012 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by civilservant (Post 10112840)
Used several androids in the past- I owned the Galaxy S II for about 24 hiurs before returning it- but honestly I get board of them really quickly. I like the Apple UI. Since I have 2 Macs and like the iTunes integration I'll stick with Apple thanks :p

Oh gawd, fanboi!

TimNiceBut Jun 11th 2012 7:43 pm

I've had problems getting a PAYG SIM from AT&T for my 3GS - they insisted on me getting a regular contract with data "because it's an iPhone". Don't know if that policy has changed.

I have an unlocked ex-O2 iPhone that works fine on a T-Mobile SIM here (100Min/unlimited text/unlimited data @ $30/Month). Only downside is that T-Mobile currently doesn't support all the frequencies that an iPhone needs to work in full 3G mode, so I'm currently stuck with Edge, aka fast enough for email.

Later this year, T-Mobile is supposedly adding some frequencies that allow iPhones to work in 3G mode, too, as they got a chunk of spectrum from the failed AT&T/T-Mobile merger.

civilservant Jun 11th 2012 7:46 pm

Ive heard that AT&T Shops dont like you using PAYG on iPhones, the simple answer being not to tell them. Ive seen posts from people on other forums that ave told them its a Lumia 9000, got the SIM, then put it in their iPhone.

kodokan Jun 12th 2012 7:05 am

I brought over an unlocked European iPhone last year, and it's running fine with a T-mobile SIM. I have a $50 a month-by-month tariff for unlimited calls, texts and data, with no lock-in or cancellation notice period. I've also added on the $10 a month option for unlimited international calls and texts; this means I don't need a landline so there's savings to be made there.

I did look at 'normal' PAYG where I would just pay per call, per text, etc, as I'm not a heavy user, but decided against it as the credit expires after a ridiculously short time - 30 days, I think, based on amount purchased - if you don't use it. It's not like when I lived in Switzerland, where I'd put 10 CHFs on the phone (about 8 quid) and then use it for the next couple of years!

Philwhite994 Jun 16th 2012 5:51 pm

Hi - this is really useful to know. I'm already living in the US, but my daughter's moving over next month - with her iPhone. But my question is - how do I unlock it?

civilservant Jun 16th 2012 5:55 pm

Google is your friend ;)

Essentially it uses a software hack to remove the SIM lock. Your daughter should be aware that it may=y invalidate any warranty, but then again getting an Apple tech in the US to look at a UK iPhone would be a pretty pointless exercise anyway.

GeoffM Jun 16th 2012 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Philwhite994 (Post 10122846)
Hi - this is really useful to know. I'm already living in the US, but my daughter's moving over next month - with her iPhone. But my question is - how do I unlock it?

I was with O2 and out of contract (just month-to-month). Unlocking is simple, you fill in a form on the O2 website, you wait, you ask O2 why it hasn't been unlocked, you fill in the form again, wait again, call them several times, and eventually your phone might be unlocked. Well, it should be easy and eventually work, but there were problems with mine for some reason! I was also on the T-Mobile $50+$10 for a couple of months but have since gotten a Galaxy thing.

I believe some carriers won't unlock the phone if it's still in contract. Worth asking/pestering/begging though.

The above is the official way; CivilServant's method is the unofficial way which you should only try if the carrier won't unlock the phone for you and are willing to live with the possible problems with a hacked phone.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 16th 2012 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by TimNiceBut (Post 10113253)
I've had problems getting a PAYG SIM from AT&T for my 3GS - they insisted on me getting a regular contract with data "because it's an iPhone". Don't know if that policy has changed.

I have an unlocked ex-O2 iPhone that works fine on a T-Mobile SIM here (100Min/unlimited text/unlimited data @ $30/Month). Only downside is that T-Mobile currently doesn't support all the frequencies that an iPhone needs to work in full 3G mode, so I'm currently stuck with Edge, aka fast enough for email.

Later this year, T-Mobile is supposedly adding some frequencies that allow iPhones to work in 3G mode, too, as they got a chunk of spectrum from the failed AT&T/T-Mobile merger.

My son went to the store (WalMart I think) bought the cheapest AT&T go phone they had and used that SIM in his iPhone 3gs then his girlfriend did the same. Works fine.