Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

iPhone 4 in US

iPhone 4 in US

Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:04 pm
Lots of questions to ask!

newlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nice
Default Re: iPhone 4 in US

This is interesting. It's a shame that definitive info on this subject is not available. We all have to make educated guesses and assumptions!

My husband and I have UK unlocked iphones (3GS), which take regular size sim cards.

We had planned to use the phones only on free wifi and as ipods etc. Until we get US phones as we'd like to get iphone 5's when they come out.

Anyway, it's just occurred to me that we could go to Best Buy in NYC when we arrive and buy a cheap phone or a sim card for that interim period. It would be so help to have data when we are out and about (for Maps etc!).

I can't see any SIM cards on Best Buy website though, so it looks like we have to buy the cheapest phone and just put the sim into our iphones.

I had to check the individual carriers websites for their no contract tariffs. Couldn't find the info on Best Buy. It looks like Cricket is best, followed by Tmobile (obviously depending on what you want) I saw Cricket is best as they appear not to charge an activation fee - which I wouldn't want to pay given that it's only a short term measure.

So I guess I would by this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Cricket+...&skuId=3455752

Anyone see flaws in my plan? or have a better idea?
Old Jun 16th 2012, 10:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked out their area of cover? I thought they were fairly local thing, so if you're heading over to LA pretty quickly, they might not be much use. Then again, they might be out in LA too and then you'd be possibly all set, though ATT Go phone, as mentioned, is usually your best bet.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 5:51 pm
Lots of questions to ask!

newlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nicenewlifeinparadise is just really nice

Thanks Bob, I'll be sure to confirm coverage before I commit to buy either.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by civilservant
Google is your friend

Essentially it uses a software hack to remove the SIM lock. Your daughter should be aware that it may=y invalidate any warranty, but then again getting an Apple tech in the US to look at a UK iPhone would be a pretty pointless exercise anyway.
Really? My wife had to take hers into the apple store and they were very helpful and solved the issue quite quickly.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:43 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the store I guess.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:51 am
Just Joined

runbirduk will become famous soon enoughrunbirduk will become famous soon enough

Did this last month in New York after moving here.
AT&T plan but to get decent data etc it comes out around $100 a month not including the weird $15 worth of "other" taxes and charges.
T Mobile is significantly cheaper but doesn't offer 3G on the iPhone... yet.
So depends how much data out and about you plan to use.
The downside was I had to deposit $500 (even just for the plan not a phone) as I have no credit history here.
The plus was as it's a monthly plan you can cancel anytime should you need.
The guy in the store set it all up and I walked out with the phone ready to use.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

markwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud ofmarkwm has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by runbirduk
Did this last month in New York after moving here.
AT&T plan but to get decent data etc it comes out around $100 a month not including the weird $15 worth of "other" taxes and charges.
T Mobile is significantly cheaper but doesn't offer 3G on the iPhone... yet.
So depends how much data out and about you plan to use.
The downside was I had to deposit $500 (even just for the plan not a phone) as I have no credit history here.
The plus was as it's a monthly plan you can cancel anytime should you need.
The guy in the store set it all up and I walked out with the phone ready to use.
Very odd. Just walked into the AT&T store, asked for an iPhone sim on pay as you go, deposited $25 and walked out. All good. Didn't bother with the data as rarely not able to get wifi. On the 10c minute plan so just top when need to. Don't know why you had to give them $500 or what plan comes to a $100 month. When I need more phone time I'll perhaps change the plan but pay as you go is the easiest way to get going.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:07 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It does sound like you bought into a contract there. I agree with the above, all research suggest $50 is the most I will ever have to pay, however I wont tell them when I get a SIM thats its for an iPhone since theyre known to just refuse to let you have the card.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
It does sound like you bought into a contract there. I agree with the above, all research suggest $50 is the most I will ever have to pay, however I wont tell them when I get a SIM thats its for an iPhone since theyre known to just refuse to let you have the card.
ATT store here offered me the SIM for free when I took my off-contract 3gs there. Wierd.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 6:20 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by Nutek
ATT store here offered me the SIM for free when I took my off-contract 3gs there. Wierd.
Seems like its a store-to-store thing, you pays your money you takes your chance.