Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Libby75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Originally Posted by MMcD
How about considering a safer "investment" - one in yourself?

Now the following doesn't appear to be something for which you'd be eligible to apply given the length of time that's probably lapsed since you got your degree
http://mam.som.yale.edu/admissions

.....but considering a return to academia just might open your thoughts to other paths worth exploring.
Resuming your studies would be something you'd not only be free to pursue in the UK but it also might even be a way to get a US Visa (tho with your child - I don't know ).
You'd also make US contacts in your real area of expertise etc. etc......you can quickly imagine the positive ramifications....
In addition, and not to be overlooked - it would provide a new community for you - which, if you were able to do it in the States, would be a bit of a protective cocoon.
What do you think?
Yes, I have considered a return to studies but there's so much on my mind that I'd find it difficult to retain anything study wise.

Also, it's difficult as a lone parent with a young child and no support network. A third point is that I've always dreamt of owning and running my own business which would also allow me to ensure I am able to be there for my daughter for school, activities, support etc.

I've never been a 9-5 kind of girl. And I love properties, architecture, interior design etc.

But definitely an idea that's been considered - I was thinking of going into law. Clearly, I'd be a one of a kind generous, thoughtful and honest barrister who only had my clients' best outcome in mind!

Last edited by Libby75; Jan 28th 2013 at 10:49 pm. Reason: adding something.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:48 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Here is an E-2 visa forum ...more reading

http://www.thefloridaforums.com/forum/
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
Here is an E-2 visa forum ...more reading

http://www.thefloridaforums.com/forum/
Thank you, Ray.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Phoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond reputePhoodilicious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75
Thank you for this info, insight like this is very important.

Are your friends who deal in property able to make good profits in this climate?

Orange County eh? Sun! My body is seriously craving this at this stage in the winter!
It is really hard to tell if they are making a "good" profit as we are not close enough friends to really ask direct questions. The couples we know here in OC who flip the properties seem to be concentrating on properties in Arizona and the Carolinas, and only smaller properties/apartments/condos in OC (maybe due to the higher cost to purchase in this area). They are all retired professional couples in their 50's and 60's and one even in his 70's. It does make me wonder why they work so hard, at a time when ideally I'd want to be slowing down, if they were doing that well? This isn't a very helpful reply to you I know but I just don't know these folks well enough to be able to gauge their success. They all have a nice lifestyle, nice homes etc but this was probably done on their previous careers....
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this info, insight like this is very important.

Are your friends who deal in property able to make good profits in this climate?

Orange County eh? Sun! My body is seriously craving this at this stage in the winter!
Not to keep shooting down your ideas, but one of the keys to making money in property is having a fairly intimate knowledge of the area something which you will not have.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It is clear that Libby is being very selective in what information she is taking in.

I don't see any 'plan' here at all.

I will say no more.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Phoodilicious
It is really hard to tell if they are making a "good" profit as we are not close enough friends to really ask direct questions. The couples we know here in OC who flip the properties seem to be concentrating on properties in Arizona and the Carolinas, and only smaller properties/apartments/condos in OC (maybe due to the higher cost to purchase in this area). They are all retired professional couples in their 50's and 60's and one even in his 70's. It does make me wonder why they work so hard, at a time when ideally I'd want to be slowing down, if they were doing that well? This isn't a very helpful reply to you I know but I just don't know these folks well enough to be able to gauge their success. They all have a nice lifestyle, nice homes etc but this was probably done on their previous careers....
It's interesting that so many seem to be into property as a hobby. I know some people here who are property developers/investors, but not a large number.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

She told us in post # 76 that, in effect, she's having a hard time concentrating.
She also told us she craves a warm, nurturing, welcoming community. Does she have any idea she'd be swimming with sharks in the most cut-throat, competitive sea of crazies if she started dabbling in flipping properties in Orange County.
It may be warm.....but it's so COLD
Bonkers!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Not to keep shooting down your ideas, but one of the keys to making money in property is having a fairly intimate knowledge of the area something which you will not have.
Yes, completely agree.

I think the starting point is getting as much info as possible to see if we even want to move to US.

IF we do, then area selection to be narrowed down, business or work choice made, finances calculated, look into visa possibilities etc based on all this.

If I do decide to go into property, here or anywhere else, again, there will be detailed research of area, pricing, sales vs rentals, demographics, trends etc. done.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Also, it's difficult as a lone parent with a young child and no support network. A third point is that I've always dreamt of owning and running my own business which would also allow me to ensure I am able to be there for my daughter for school, activities, support etc.

I've never been a 9-5 kind of girl. And I love properties, architecture, interior design etc.
If that's the case, you'd seriously be better off setting up the business to do that in the UK than in the US.

You'll be in a foreign country with even less network of support, dealing with trivial things that aren't familiar, from the mundane to the far reaching bureaucracy.

That's not to say don't do it, but if you can't see yourself doing it in the UK, the US would be far, far tougher to survive as a small business doing that kind of thing.

I think a lot of people who do well in that kind of venture already have a large network in place. They know their location well, they know who'll be good for contractors, the local by-laws, insurance requirements and have a network of people for buying and selling the properties. Which you wouldn't have.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of going into law. Clearly, I'd be a one of a kind generous, thoughtful and honest barrister who only had my clients' best outcome in mind!
Not without first becoming a solicitor.
Old Jan 28th 2013, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
If that's the case, you'd seriously be better off setting up the business to do that in the UK than in the US.

You'll be in a foreign country with even less network of support, dealing with trivial things that aren't familiar, from the mundane to the far reaching bureaucracy.

That's not to say don't do it, but if you can't see yourself doing it in the UK, the US would be far, far tougher to survive as a small business doing that kind of thing.

I think a lot of people who do well in that kind of venture already have a large network in place. They know their location well, they know who'll be good for contractors, the local by-laws, insurance requirements and have a network of people for buying and selling the properties. Which you wouldn't have.
As always, Bob, you point me to the practiclities. Just the kind of discussion I need, keeps my investigations going and ensures I consider the details.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting that so many seem to be into property as a hobby. I know some people here who are property developers/investors, but not a large number.
Not as many as there used to be about four or five years back and that should tell you something.