Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Old Jan 27th 2013, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Libby75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Investment and new life move from UK to US.

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
That would be the court order. The US, and I would imagine every other country, won't grant a visa for a child if both parents aren't immigrating with them without either a legal document from the other parent confirming that it's OK or a court document saying basically the same thing. Unfortunate for you it sounds like the court is the only way to go which will mean a lawyer and a cost. It shouldn't be a massive amount but it will be significant. There are no other options as far as I know.
My research so far has been in terms of the questions originally posted, but this a severe hindrance I hadn't considered.

Deeply unjust, under the circumstances.

If someone knows differently, please let me know.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

In terms of the possibility of needing court permission to move abroad, does anyone know at what age of child this no longer is a hindrance?

12 rings a bell for some reason but unsure if this correct.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 7:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Libby75
In terms of the possibility of needing court permission to move abroad, does anyone know at what age of child this no longer is a hindrance?

12 rings a bell for some reason but unsure if this correct.
its US rules .. 18
Old Jan 27th 2013, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
its US rules .. 18
Very, very unfair, if correct.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:08 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Very, very unfair, if correct.
unfair to you perhaps ..
but not to the people who try to remove children again the other parents wishes...
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
It's moot anyway.

-- E2 with $70k down!
-- E2 for house flipping!
-- E2 with child!
Libby I think you need to be realistic about this.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

I will look into the issue of moving a child abroad etc.

Child abduction is dreadful and should be stopped by all means. However, in the case is that a parent removes themselves from the child's life deliberately, they should have no further power in their voluntary absence. It should be up to the hard working parent, who cares for the child on a daily basis, to attempt to provide the best life possible.

Nevertheless, I would like to return to the the questions originally posted re investment and welcoming areas in the US, as if there is no possibility of a move in any case, researching the issue of relocating my daughter becomes insignificant.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Libby I think you need to be realistic about this.
Yes, of-course. Nothing will happen until all is researched in detail.

However, I prefer constructive reasons why my situation may be not feasible for a move, so that I can consider and rethink. One liners with exclamation marks tell me the poster thinks it's impossible, but is not helpful to my learning why.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

However, I prefer constructive reasons why my situation may be not feasible for a move, so that I can consider and rethink. One liners with exclamation marks tell me the poster thinks it's impossible, but is not helpful to my learning why.
What was being said, very succinctly, is that the amount of money you suggest will be available to you will prove inadequate to both purchase a business (which must have premises for the visa) and set up your personal life in the US; the type of business that you suggest you are interested in will not be appropriate to secure a visa; the E-2 visa is not a good one when there is a child involved -- it must be renewed every few years and never leads to permanent residence in the US, so much so that a child will age out at 21 and have to leave the country. Add to that the lack of "social safety net" in the US, and it indicates that perhaps a new start in a different part of the UK or Europe might be better for someone looking for a good life for their child.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
What was being said, very succinctly, is that the amount of money you suggest will be available to you will prove inadequate to both purchase a business (which must have premises for the visa) and set up your personal life in the US; the type of business that you suggest you are interested in will not be appropriate to secure a visa; the E-2 visa is not a good one when there is a child involved -- it must be renewed every few years and never leads to permanent residence in the US, so much so that a child will age out at 21 and have to leave the country. Add to that the lack of "social safety net" in the US, and it indicates that perhaps a new start in a different part of the UK or Europe might be better for someone looking for a good life for their child.
Thank you.

The $70-$90k was merely for the business, the set up a life part has been calcualted for separately. Also, I can increase the investment amount by another $20-$30k.

Also good to know I will need premises. Are you able to expand on why property development will not be a feasible investment?

Can you suggest other types of investment that may be suitable for the amount proposed?

Re the time period for the E2 visa, the initial time will allow us to see if we wish to remain/renew. Then we can follow on from there and find alternative routes. I know there are various posts on exactly this on this board.

Should we wish to return or find it difficult to make a living, UK doors are always open to us.

If we don't try new things, we will never develop. I'm willing to give it a try IF following detailed research and several visits, we decide to go ahead.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, of-course. Nothing will happen until all is researched in detail.

She means that you haven't got a hope of moving to the US...sorry to be blunt. Seriously the US is no place for a single mum with a young child...without a well paid profession or a lot of capital behind them.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read this? http://britishexpats.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Wo rk_in_the_USAThat will tell you that $70k isn't anywhere near enough.

But on the off chance that you can find another visa route (E2 being a bad choice with a child even with enough funds as it doesn't lead directly to a green card - why uproot her for something temporary?), then yes, you would require paperwork to show you can remove your daughter from UK jurisdiction. Canada is the same, either a letter from the father or a court order would be required, and I assume other countries would be similar.

I know it seems unfair to you, but think of it from the foreign governments point of view - just because you say the father walked away two years ago doesn't mean it's true! So to make sure you're not kidnapping your daughter, they would require proof.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:56 pm
Ray

Thank you.

The $70-$90k was merely for the business, the set up a life part has been calcualted for separately. Also, I can increase the investment amount by another $20-$30k.

Also good to know I will need premises. Are you able to expand on why property development will not be a feasible investment?

Can you suggest other types of investment that may be suitable for the amount proposed?

Re the time period for the E2 visa, the initial time will allow us to see if we wish to remain/renew. Then we can follow on from there and find alternative routes. I know there are various posts on exactly this on this board.

Should we wish to return or find it difficult to make a living, UK doors are always open to us.

If we don't try new things, we will never develop. I'm willing to give it a try IF following detailed research and several visits, we decide to go ahead.
The E-2 visa normally requires an investment of $150k-$200k as a minimum
you will also need to get your accomodation, medical insurance. and you have to employ at least 3 people /..its not a simple process
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ray
The E-2 visa normally requires an investment of $150k-$200k as a minimum
you will also need to get your accomodation, medical insurance. and you have to employ at least 3 people /..its not a simple process
Thank you. Yes, I'd read the $150k figures, but there were also various posts stating much less was required.

Accomodation etc. will have a separate budget, already accounted for.

Ah, didn't realise I'd need to emply anyone...hmmm!

Are you able to suggest other investments for my circumstances?
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Nevertheless, I would like to return to the the questions originally posted re investment and welcoming areas in the US, as if there is no possibility of a move in any case, researching the issue of relocating my daughter becomes insignificant.
Although some make a business venture out of it, a huge number of people flip houses as a hobby. You will not land a visa on that basis.

The E2 visa is initially valid for 2 or 3 years I believe. After that you have to renew. The business needs to not sustain your life but provide significant value to the local economy. If it doesn't, and it's getting harder to prove that, you have no visa and you must leave the country pretty much immediately. That's a massive issue when a child is involved, how would you start up back in the UK if you basically had nothing? You would likely still own the US business unless it went bankrupt but you wouldn't be able to live in the US to run it.

As to welcoming areas? That's too narrow a question since you are talking about street level things. An area can appear to be very welcoming but for the most part that is very superficial. It's also what you make of it. If you have issues with the entire UK making friends and the like, the same issues will likely surface anywhere in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.