British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Investing in stocks / funds - L1 visa holder (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/investing-stocks-funds-l1-visa-holder-752751/)

EricK Mar 25th 2012 10:48 pm

Investing in stocks / funds - L1 visa holder

Are there any rules against investing / making investment income from stocks / bonds funds in the US for L1 visa holders?

md95065 Mar 25th 2012 11:04 pm

Re: Investing in stocks / funds - L1 visa holder

Originally Posted by EricK (Post 9972093)
Are there any rules against investing / making investment income from stocks / bonds funds in the US for L1 visa holders?

No.

Just make sure that you correctly report any income that results from this activity on your US State and Federal tax returns when the time comes.

EricK Mar 25th 2012 11:16 pm

Great, thank you.

Michael Mar 25th 2012 11:23 pm

If you invest through a US broker, you will get a consolidated 1099 statement at the beginning of the year which will list all interest, ordinary dividends, qualified dividends, foreign taxes paid, and all shares bought and sold.

nun Mar 26th 2012 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 9972124)
If you invest through a US broker, you will get a consolidated 1099 statement at the beginning of the year which will list all interest, ordinary dividends, qualified dividends, foreign taxes paid, and all shares bought and sold.

I'd stick with a low cost option like Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab

VallAndMo Apr 28th 2012 2:00 pm

Hi,

Originally Posted by nun (Post 9973213)

I'd stick with a low cost option like Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab

Sorry but I'm confused: aren't Vanguard/Fidelity/Schwab US brokers providing yearly 1099 statements?

Thanks in advance for the clarification,
--
Vall & Mo.

nun Apr 28th 2012 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by VallAndMo (Post 10030153)
Hi,

Sorry but I'm confused: aren't Vanguard/Fidelity/Schwab US brokers providing yearly 1099 statements?

Thanks in advance for the clarification,
--
Vall & Mo.

Yes they are, but I prefer them over some other providers because of their low fees and the availability of a wide range of inexpensive passive index funds.

VallAndMo Apr 29th 2012 6:53 am

Hi Nun,

Originally Posted by nun (Post 10030170)
Yes they are, but I prefer them over some other providers because of their low fees and the availability of a wide range of inexpensive passive index funds.

That's what we thought you meant... thanks for the clarification!

Regards,
--
Vall & Mo.