Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Investing Money

Investing Money

Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investing Money

Originally Posted by blaze
Yep, downpayments are a must if you intend to buy. Prices on homes in AZ have climbed dramatically in the last few years so if you are intending on buying I would do it sooner rather than later.
I would do it later rather than sooner. Or, at least, I wouldn't be rushing to buy. Inventory in the Phoenix area is up to a record 43,500 resale homes for sale, with the figure growing daily. This is four times the inventory of last summer and when coupled with declining sales could well presage stagnation or falling house prices there. And anyway, getting to know a place well before deciding exactly where you want to buy is a good move, imo.

As to the original question, I think it depends on tim eframes for living in the US and the amount of dollar currency risk you want to hedge. I've lived here for over 20 years but I still keep significant money in non-dollar investments because (a) I'm not convinced I'll always live in the US,and (b) I think there's a significant risk of a weakening dollar over the next decade.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Apr 26th 2006 at 10:22 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi,
More questions from an almost-newcomer!
Hoping to sell house here in UK this month, and move out to Arizona in August.
The sale will realize a little capital - after we pay off the mortgages, finance the move, plane tickets etc.
Any advises please on whether to invest this stateside (and if so, where, how?) or in UK?
NB No pension provision at this stage - we are effectively living in it!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Goals are missing!

Are you living over here for the long term or the short term? Do you get wanderlust or are you sticking to just the UK and US (your grammar mistake in your first post makes me believe English is not your native language)? Do you want to buy a house over here or rent? Are you coming on a visa with some permanence or not? Are you going to be earning a salary will produce a lot of unnecessary income or not? Have you already got a rainy day fund or not? Are you young, middle or old? Too many imponderables...
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
he had started a new thread calling himself yorkie something or other and after about 6 replies i asked if he was on here the other day calling himself frodsham and about that time manc looked up his isp and yep it was him so the thread got deleted and i awarded myself 5 brownie points
No you spoiled the fun, it was just getting going. I even gave Ray a shout. String 'em along next time.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Premium Bonds....
and do keep a UK bank account ...and an address..

I agree. Spread the money about. You never know when you might want to return to the UK, besides comes in handy when visiting.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:22 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
No you spoiled the fun, it was just getting going. I even gave Ray a shout. String 'em along next time.
it wasn't me that deleted the account it was manc
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

it wasn't me that deleted the account it was manc

I know, just joking.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

lol hey that frodsham was back on here under another user name....but we spotted him and now he's a gonner
Goddam ..I spent the afternoon in the pool ... it was such a nice day ...
and missed that ...
Old Apr 27th 2006, 2:59 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

he had started a new thread calling himself yorkie

SAY WHAT!!!

That name was blocked when I joined, which is why I got the mouthful I landed with......
Old Apr 27th 2006, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

We love premium bonds, though of course we no longer have any, because that would contravene US tax laws. Theoretically if it was possible, that would be the first place I would dump any excess cash, just on the off-chance that the big one came up for me.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
(your grammar mistake in your first post makes me believe English is not your native language)?
Grammar mistake??? :$
Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

britnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to beholdbritnyank is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Goals are missing!

Are you living over here for the long term or the short term? Do you get wanderlust or are you sticking to just the UK and US (your grammar mistake in your first post makes me believe English is not your native language)? Do you want to buy a house over here or rent? Are you coming on a visa with some permanence or not? Are you going to be earning a salary will produce a lot of unnecessary income or not? Have you already got a rainy day fund or not? Are you young, middle or old? Too many imponderables...
Hi.
We'll be coming over on a long-term basis, probably for good. (My husband is USC, the girls and I have immigrant visas.)
We're not THAT young but not quite ready to class myself as 'middle' yet!
Housing is not a problem at the moment - we may want to buy in the future.
I really just wanted some information as to what others may have done regarding investment, and their experiences of it.
Thanks again.

(I DO hold some premium bonds - I note from another post that I may not be able to keep these? Is that correct? What about my (very small) ISA?)
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Vicky88
We love premium bonds, though of course we no longer have any, because that would contravene US tax laws. Theoretically if it was possible, that would be the first place I would dump any excess cash, just on the off-chance that the big one came up for me.

Really, I never knew that. Plse tell
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:52 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

morning jersey, hey that's a new one...didn't know that
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:00 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Gaming and lottery laws prohibit US citizens from receiving correspondence through the US postal service regarding Premium Bonds. As a result it is not practical to hold Premium Bonds while in the US as there would be no way of receiving and cashing in any prizes. If you live outside the UK, you should check whether local regulations allow you to hold Premium Bonds.

http://www.nsandi.com/help/livingabroad.jsp

Unless of course you have a friend or relative who's address you use and keep a checking account in the UK...
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

morning jersey, hey that's a new one...didn't know that
Morning TruBrit. I've had premium bonds since i was a baby and never once won anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.