British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Investing Money (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/investing-money-370024/)

britnyank Apr 26th 2006 7:39 pm

Investing Money

Hi,
More questions from an almost-newcomer!
Hoping to sell house here in UK this month, and move out to Arizona in August.
The sale will realize a little capital - after we pay off the mortgages, finance the move, plane tickets etc.
Any advises please on whether to invest this stateside (and if so, where, how?) or in UK?
NB No pension provision at this stage - we are effectively living in it! ;)

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Manc Apr 26th 2006 7:44 pm

Re: Investing Money

personally, I think if you intend to remain in the USA, then investing in the USA make more sense.

Celsius Apr 26th 2006 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi,
The sale will realize a little capital - after we pay off the mortgages, finance the move, plane tickets etc.
Any advises please on whether to invest this stateside (and if so, where, how?) or in UK?

Thank you.

That capital could come in handy for a downpayment on a house in AZ if you're thinking of buying as soon as you get stateside.

If not, it'd make practical sense to invest over here.

BigDavyG Apr 26th 2006 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by britnyank
Hi,

Thank you.

Be very careful - the dollar has already taken a slight dive in the past few weeks due to the fed's interest rate announcement.
The current oil price situation could further dent the currency leaving you losing out before you already began.
On the otherhand if you intend to stay in the US for the rest of your life that won't make the slightest bit of difference, though you could get more bucks for your pounds if the rates fall even further.

Ray Apr 26th 2006 9:32 pm

Premium Bonds....
and do keep a UK bank account ...and an address..

TruBrit Apr 26th 2006 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Premium Bonds....
and do keep a UK bank account ...and an address..

for sure...good old ernie :cool:

Ray Apr 26th 2006 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
for sure...good old ernie :cool:

Does me nicely 10 months of the year ....

TruBrit Apr 26th 2006 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Does me nicely 10 months of the year ....

lol hey that frodsham was back on here under another user name....but we spotted him and now he's a gonner :rolleyes:

blaze Apr 26th 2006 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius
That capital could come in handy for a downpayment on a house in AZ if you're thinking of buying as soon as you get stateside.

If not, it'd make practical sense to invest over here.

Yep, downpayments are a must if you intend to buy. Prices on homes in AZ have climbed dramatically in the last few years so if you are intending on buying I would do it sooner rather than later. And as Ray said, Keep Bank accounts and addresses in the UK for as long as possible.

blaze Apr 26th 2006 9:47 pm

lol hey that frodsham was back on here under another user name....but we spotted him and now he's a gonner :rolleyes:

How was he figured out?

TruBrit Apr 26th 2006 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by blaze
How was he figured out?

he had started a new thread calling himself yorkie something or other and after about 6 replies i asked if he was on here the other day calling himself frodsham and about that time manc looked up his isp and yep it was him so the thread got deleted and i awarded myself 5 brownie points :o

blaze Apr 26th 2006 9:54 pm

he had started a new thread calling himself yorkie something or other and after about 6 replies i asked if he was on here the other day calling himself frodsham and about that time manc looked up his isp and yep it was him so the thread got deleted and i awarded myself 5 brownie points :o

Good for you, "Hail queen Trubrit" LOL :D

TruBrit Apr 26th 2006 9:55 pm

Good for you, "Hail queen Trubrit" LOL :D

ohhh i say :o :o ta very much :o

blaze Apr 26th 2006 9:57 pm

ohhh i say :o :o ta very much :o

You're very welcome, we have to stick together and keep out the 'Rif-Raf'! LOL :)

TruBrit Apr 26th 2006 9:58 pm

You're very welcome, we have to stick together and keep out the 'Rif-Raf'! LOL :)

exactly :p