Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Introducing myself

Introducing myself

Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Introducing myself

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My husband works in Redmond, we live in Puyallup. Hoping some day to be able to afford moving further North.
I find Puyallup to be the hardest of all the WA names to say properly. I want to say it "poo-yallup", but the locals all say it "pyu-allup". I have to think about it every time. I can do Sequim no problem, but Puyallup's really hard.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:29 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cinnabar
When I say Seattle, I really mean Issaquah.
Nice place you live, expensive but really nice. Just going to move near there in a couple of weeks. How long have you lived here?
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Does your hubby work for MS?
No Although it seems as if everyone does who's in or around Redmond. He works for Cingular Wireless.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I find Puyallup to be the hardest of all the WA names to say properly. I want to say it "poo-yallup", but the locals all say it "pyu-allup". I have to think about it every time. I can do Sequim no problem, but Puyallup's really hard.
lol, last year when we were looking for houses to buy (and finding we were having to go further and further south ) we almost bought a house in Enumclaw. I couldn't for the life of me say that name and thought I couldn't possibly live in an area that I couldn't even pronounce the name.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
I thought you lived one town up from Puyallop! realise though you can't give too much info out. I am moving to not far from you re town wise!
Didn't know your hubby worked Redmond though, in one of the many headquarters there are here (most people think there is just microsoft, but it is amazing how many headquarters there are round Redmond!)
This area seems to be doing big business (in terms of new home construction) and it would seem there are a lot of people being priced out and having to come this far. Although it makes for one hell of a commute - thankfully I don't have to make it.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:47 pm

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
This area seems to be doing big business (in terms of new home construction) and it would seem there are a lot of people being priced out and having to come this far. Although it makes for one hell of a commute - thankfully I don't have to make it.
This will be the 1st house we have owned for 6 yrs yippee! Fed up with brits though who made a killing in the UK with their property and bought in here before the boom here (100% jealous I know!) as we of course sold our house in the UK before the boom and have bought here on the crest of a boom! But never mind we will be back in the housing market and I had to go south to get a home I like, which I do so can't wait to move into it
Now that we are moving south it will actually be less of a commute for my hubby (will be about 15mins!) So I will get to see him more often which I can't make my mind up if that's a good or bad thing
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:49 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from Cheshire, went to Leeds Uni and last lived in Colne, Lancs.

I met my (equally British) husband in 2001 on the internet, we started exchanging emails, eventually met in real life and decided we couldn't live apart any longer. He was on an H1B at the time, so when he was able to file for AOS we had a quick wedding and I arrived here on my H4 so we could adjust together

Even though my DH has a PhD, some idiot lawyer or form-filler put him on the slowtrack for his green card and it took seven years altogether. His card came in July 2005, I got retrogressed because I still hadn't had the "prove you're really married and not scamming us" USCIS interview (which we passed in Nov 2005). The current processing date is 1 Oct 2001, our date is 21 Oct 2001 ... I can smell that card and it's horribly frustrating that retrogression seems to have struck again this month

I have an EAD but don't work. Well, not paid employment. I volunteer at a wildlife rescue centre which rehabilitates sick and orphaned bears, raccoons, eagles, owls, possums, etc. I get to see some pretty rare creatures: before I worked there, I'd never even heard of mountain beavers. Behave

We're in our 40s, no previous kids on either side and no plans for any. The delinquent Maine Coon is enough trouble for us. The coon came with me from England, hurrah for no quarantine regulations here.

I drive a manual car. Because I can. After four goes at passing the UK driving test, I wasn't going to wuss out and drive a one-pedal bumper car here.

Likes: Marmite, Vimto, Midsomer Murders, Fry's Turkish Delight, merlot and Pink Floyd.

Dislikes: American bread, de-clawing cats, having to go out in the rain to get the post, people who believe everything they hear on Fox News and having to say "water" a million times (with mimes) before being served with Coke.

Did I miss anything?

Welcome!!! I met my hubby on the internet too, altho he is definitely a yank.
and i gotta say i miss a good Fry's Turkish Delight mmmm
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:50 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

I'm originally from Cheshire, went to Leeds Uni and last lived in Colne, Lancs.

I met my (equally British) husband in 2001 on the internet, we started exchanging emails, eventually met in real life and decided we couldn't live apart any longer. He was on an H1B at the time, so when he was able to file for AOS we had a quick wedding and I arrived here on my H4 so we could adjust together

Even though my DH has a PhD, some idiot lawyer or form-filler put him on the slowtrack for his green card and it took seven years altogether. His card came in July 2005, I got retrogressed because I still hadn't had the "prove you're really married and not scamming us" USCIS interview (which we passed in Nov 2005). The current processing date is 1 Oct 2001, our date is 21 Oct 2001 ... I can smell that card and it's horribly frustrating that retrogression seems to have struck again this month

I have an EAD but don't work. Well, not paid employment. I volunteer at a wildlife rescue centre which rehabilitates sick and orphaned bears, raccoons, eagles, owls, possums, etc. I get to see some pretty rare creatures: before I worked there, I'd never even heard of mountain beavers. Behave

We're in our 40s, no previous kids on either side and no plans for any. The delinquent Maine Coon is enough trouble for us. The coon came with me from England, hurrah for no quarantine regulations here.

I drive a manual car. Because I can. After four goes at passing the UK driving test, I wasn't going to wuss out and drive a one-pedal bumper car here.

Likes: Marmite, Vimto, Midsomer Murders, Fry's Turkish Delight, merlot and Pink Floyd.

Dislikes: American bread, de-clawing cats, having to go out in the rain to get the post, people who believe everything they hear on Fox News and having to say "water" a million times (with mimes) before being served with Coke.

Did I miss anything?

Hi there and nice introductory post, Karma coming your way!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

cinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond reputecinnabar has a reputation beyond repute

Nice place you live, expensive but really nice. Just going to move near there in a couple of weeks. How long have you lived here?
We got married in Dec 2003, I moved here Jan 2004. My husband bought the house before we met, so he's lived here five years but I've only been here for two and a half years. Luckily I don't mind his taste in furniture and curtains etc so I haven't felt any need to put my own stamp on it. Unlike the cat
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:03 pm

We got married in Dec 2003, I moved here Jan 2004. My husband bought the house before we met, so he's lived here five years but I've only been here for two and a half years. Luckily I don't mind his taste in furniture and curtains etc so I haven't felt any need to put my own stamp on it. Unlike the cat
Gosh I'm the newbie here then, moved out here Oct 2005! I hopefully will feel settled when we move house in a couple of weeks.
Being here over 2 yrs you must have settled in by now, gosh with your job you live in the perfect place.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:10 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya and welcome to the Loony bin
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I'm into wildlife management as well !!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:14 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray

lol i'm keeping quiet
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
would you quit talking about my bits!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 9:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

would you quit talking about my bits!
Your pic posting is overdue ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.