Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Into what year / grade do British kids transfer in US schools?

Into what year / grade do British kids transfer in US schools?

Old Jul 28th 2018, 10:52 am
Just Joined

thuff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Into what year / grade do British kids transfer in US schools?

hi, given that British kids start a year earlier, when moving to the US what year / grade do they transfer into? I’m worried about my daughters either being a) bored by curriculum they’ve already mastered, and conversely b) them being a year ahead of their age group. Thanks for advice
Old Jul 28th 2018, 3:14 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Into what year / grade do British kids transfer in US schools?

For public schools, they transfer into the year corresponding to their date of birth. Not all schools are the same and I don't think that my daughter's school is behind the UK. In New York, most kids start school during the year they turn 4.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 3:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
For public schools, they transfer into the year corresponding to their date of birth. Not all schools are the same and I don't think that my daughter's school is behind the UK. In New York, most kids start school during the year they turn 4.
This is the norm in Brooklyn? Normally they start school in the year they turn 5 and that birthday must either be prior to the start of the school year in September of within a few weeks after the school year starts. For example, my grandson's birthday is September 16th. He missed kindergarten registration by 1 day as the cut off date for enrollment was he had to be 5 by September 15th. No exceptions.
In Westchester County, New York kids don't start kindergarten until they are 5 at the start of the school year. The same in Mississippi. There are some schools that offer a pre-kindergarten class, i.e. Head Start, and this program is not offered by all school districts, unfortunately. Most kids who do attend 'school' at ages 3 and 4 do so at private childcare agencies/institutions. My NY granddaughter attended from ages 3 and 4 at the local Jewish Community Center Child Care program. Head Start was not available to her through her local school district. It was that way for my schooling, my children's schooling and now my grandchildren's schooling.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 28th 2018 at 3:31 pm.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, both. I should clarify that I was born and raised in the US, but have been in the U.K. for the last 14 years, so I know both systems well. My kids are 8 and 10, and in years 3 and 5 respectively. Unless I have it wrong, they would be in grades 2 and 4 in the US. I don’t think year 5 / grade 4 are equivalent curriculum - if they were, the British gap year wouldn’t make sense (eg they would be a high school junior when finishing school). So I seems to me that they would be a year ahead, no? Thanks
Old Jul 28th 2018, 3:53 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My granddaughter will be 10 tomorrow and she will be in the 5th grade in September when school starts. Does this help?

Age 5 - kindergarten
Age 6 - First Grade
Age 7 - Second Grade
Age 8 - Third Grade
Age 9 - Fourth Grade
Age 10 - Fifth Grade
Old Jul 28th 2018, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

Much appreciated - thanks.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 7:28 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
This is the norm in Brooklyn? Normally they start school in the year they turn 5 and that birthday must either be prior to the start of the school year in September of within a few weeks after the school year starts. For example, my grandson's birthday is September 16th. He missed kindergarten registration by 1 day as the cut off date for enrollment was he had to be 5 by September 15th. No exceptions.
In Westchester County, New York kids don't start kindergarten until they are 5 at the start of the school year. The same in Mississippi. There are some schools that offer a pre-kindergarten class, i.e. Head Start, and this program is not offered by all school districts, unfortunately. Most kids who do attend 'school' at ages 3 and 4 do so at private childcare agencies/institutions. My NY granddaughter attended from ages 3 and 4 at the local Jewish Community Center Child Care program. Head Start was not available to her through her local school district. It was that way for my schooling, my children's schooling and now my grandchildren's schooling.
New York City has free universal pre-K where each kid is guaranteed a spot, so yes, the majority of kids start school the year they turn 4.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 7:36 pm
Living the NYC dream

Originally Posted by thuff
Thanks, both. I should clarify that I was born and raised in the US, but have been in the U.K. for the last 14 years, so I know both systems well. My kids are 8 and 10, and in years 3 and 5 respectively. Unless I have it wrong, they would be in grades 2 and 4 in the US. I don’t think year 5 / grade 4 are equivalent curriculum - if they were, the British gap year wouldn’t make sense (eg they would be a high school junior when finishing school). So I seems to me that they would be a year ahead, no? Thanks
USA and UK kids both finish school at 18 and go to university. The gap year is purely optional - or at least it was when I went to university in the UK a million years ago. My understanding is that UK kids tend to start school earlier than USA kids, although that is not the case for us in New York City where they now start at 4.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

It is a tough decision. My daughter was 9, a May birthday, and started in the August in 4th grade. She had a qick test before being placed in that grade but scored very low in math as she had not learnt feet and inches, fractions or knew what a dime or nickel was. In hindsite I would have tutored her before and placed in 5th grade. However, my friend insisted her daughter go into 4th grade although she was a young 8. Because struggled horribly academically and socially, particularly when her friends were hitting 16 and allowed more freedom. Luckily you know the system but it is a tough decision.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 8:22 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
New York City has free universal pre-K where each kid is guaranteed a spot, so yes, the majority of kids start school the year they turn 4.
Yes, they can go to pre-k in NYC free of charge and a seat is guaranteed for every child for whom an application has been submitted. However, it is not mandatory. Nor will it be mandatory when NYC starts the pre-k classes for 3 year olds. Both programs are at the discretion of the parent.

US free schooling goes from:

Kindergarten - age 5
First Grade - age 6
Second Grade - age 7
Third Grade - age 8
Fourth Grade - age 9
Fifth Grade - age 10
Sixth Grade - age 11
Seventh Grade - age 12
Eighth Grade - age 13
Ninth Grade - age 14
Tenth Grade - age 15
Eleventh Grade - age 16
Twelfth Grade - age 17 --- end of schooling.

Since in NYC school ends in June, unless the child has a birthday January through June, they will be 17, not 18, when they graduate their senior year of high school. I was 18 because I have a birthday in June.

To be noted is that you are talking only about New York City schools and I am talking about schools in the rest of New York State. Pre-K is not available to all students in all school districts within the State of New York. To be fair, in Westchester County, at least which is where I am from and where one of my grandchildren lives, those children who come from families which can afford to pay tuition, they all attend some type of private pre-k classes at ages 3 and 4. Those institutions offering these classes are usually booked years in advance or at minimum one year ahead of their child attending. The majority of those children can print and read at the end of those programs both due to parents who take the time to teach them and from the pre-k classes they are attending. Schools in NY and NJ also participate in the STEM program which helps those children who are academically advanced excel in the sciences far and above their same age counterparts.

What is the criteria for the remainder of the country. I don't know and would not venture to give any information on how school districts are run in other areas of the US.

The OP has not said that she is moving to New York City so your and my input might make not a bit of difference to her and her children's schooling.

Wisygreen gave you some good pointers on what your children should be up-to-date on before going into US schools, i.e. money and fractions, measuring units since they differ from the UK (and the rest of the world).

Last edited by Rete; Jul 28th 2018 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

In different parts of the world, curriculum gets sequenced differently, especially at the primary levels - this means a topic can be done a year earlier/later (or even two . . .) depending on where you are. It doesn't mean the kids are "ahead" or "behind" when comparing jurisdictions, just that their education departments sequence things differently.

Individual schools sometimes also have the power to take a curriculum and then sequence it themselves, in whatever order they like, within prescribed parameters. This may mean, for instance, that in the second week of November, two fourth grade classes, in two schools across the street from each other, are doing completely different things.

My advice would be to keep your child with their age cohort, even if it means they have to repeat a few weeks of fractions or whatever (if that is even the case). If she really is a genius and head and shoulders above the rest, and deserves to skip a grade, that can be sorted after enrollment and after she has demonstrated that ability.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 12:33 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

This is a frequently asked question and the best answer is "the school year they are ready for academically, socially and physically".

Many parents come over thinking their kids are "one year ahead" of their American peers, but when they arrive they find at best they may be a few subjects ahead or on par with their classmates or in some situations, a bit behind. There really is no right or wrong answer to this question as it depends greatly on the school district you are in and the school district you are entering. For example, some school districts in the USA start a K-4 program that "teaches" the same stuff as reception in the UK. In other districts in the USA the kindergarten is easily as academic as Year 1 in the UK. And in others it is not. It really varies greatly.

As an illustrative example, my son in an American-curriculum international school (grade 4) has a best friend in the British-curriculum school (Year 5). Throughout their elementary/primary school experience, they have frequently been doing the same work, even the same books in the same year. Online assignments have actually been shared between kids of the two schools (who compete against one another). Of course my son learns about dimes - nickels and quarters and his friend learns about pence and pounds, and sometimes he will do an assignment in the Spring that my son did the previous Fall (or vice versa) but by and large it is far more similar than it is different.

The WIKI on schools has some more information that might be helpful.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educa...s_in_school%3F
My Kids are Ahead of their US counterparts

A common question that comes up is 'my child is a 'year ahead' because of the difference in starting times in the UK vs. the US'. The UK starts their kids at 4 where as generally the US is at 5. However, it is worth noting that in many US school districts kids do start at 4 as well, in what is known as "pre-K" or "K-4". It is usually a half day session and followed by full kindergarden when they turn 5. But most US parents do not start their children in school until they turn 5.

While your kid may be "ahead" in terms of number of years in school, generally you'll find educators will place children, especially at the younger ages, in classes with other students their age rather than other students who have been in school as long as your child has been in school. Emotional and physical development is often as important as academic development. At higher years, there may be an opportunity to be placed in a higher grade than the student's age, but it can be a double-edge sword. While you may be keeping up with your 'year' back in the UK, many members on this site have reported it is not advised as their children have had difficulty keeping up with their peers here in the US. There are considerable differences in the methods of teaching in the US vs. the UK such that eventhough a student might be a 'year ahead' when they arrive in the US they often report 'feeling left behind' by the pace and manner of instruction.

There really isn't a right / wrong, one size fits all answer to this question. It's going to depend a lot on your child--how mature are they, what sort of academic environment they prosper in, and how are they developing physically. Being the smallest and youngest child in a class can have an impact. The issue of when to start school, and whether to hold back a student (sometimes called 'red shirting' based on the American sports practice of holding back a developing player a year before they start playing, kind of like sending a footballer out 'on loan' to another team) is a hotly debated one not only in the US but in the UK as well. This recent article summarizes some of the studies on the matter, and it might be worth reading if you are considering a higher grade for your child:

[1]When to Start School -- NY Times.

Even back in the UK the discussion about a later start age is being debated. Many researchers prefer the European model of age six, and schools in Finland, which consistently score amongst the best in the world, start at age 7.

[2] "Delay school entry until six, researchers urge"

[3] "Is five too soon to start school".

This is also an interesting discussion on the subject (despite a bit of ranting in the middle of the thread): http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643985 Strongly recommend reading through the comments of others who have gone through the experience, some pushing their kids up a year and some keeping them at their US year, and the various successes (and a few failures) that have come with that. Some have reported their child fit right in, sometimes even becoming the honor student despite being a year younger. Others have come in and discovered in just a few weeks that it was a terrible decision and moved the kid back to their age appropriate year.

In short, you really need to look into this issue specifically related to your child, the school you are coming from (and may return to) and the school you will be attending in the USA.

Useful link to school year comparisons between UK and US. This gives the ages and years of both US and UK systems for comparison. A Comparison of English (UK) and American (US) Education Systems
Old Jul 30th 2018, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Penguinsix, that is a great reply.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Ecto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond reputeEcto17 has a reputation beyond repute

We started our just turned 6 yr old in first grade last September in NJ having completed reception and year 1 in the U.K. He was horrified to be a first grader and insisted on calling it year 2 and we assumed that he would coast it and declared a genius within the first week!! As you may have guessed this didn't quite happen!
An academic year on, we have been thrilled by his progress as a first grader, his reading in particular has improved immensely and the variation of subjects they discuss and study has really impressed me. The science is definitely well ahead of the U.K. and the only subject l am unsure of where he stands compared to England is maths but the homework was hard enough that it frequently confused me! The enrichment programs his school run are fantastic and certainly better then my limited experience in the U.K.

l do appreciate your concern and like most on here, l shared it too but speaking with the head teacher at the school l worked at in the U.K., before we moved, her view was that each country tended to have an area or subject that they excelled at in comparison to other nations but that most countries were equal to one another in general and you may loss out in one area but gain in another. This helped me a lot and found it to be very true once my child started school here.

I might add that we live in a very highly rated school district and l am sure that does have some impact on my impressions of things but generally the US and the UK systems for any given age are far more comparable in terms of progress and results then us Brits wish to believe!
Old Jul 30th 2018, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My school district has accelerated learning programs that kids test into, so if they are advanced for their age then they will do more advanced stuff. If they stay in the program then they will end up doing college level courses while at high school, so they can graduate earlier at uni.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.