Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Into SFO on an L1

Into SFO on an L1

Old Oct 16th 2016, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

dbr84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Into SFO on an L1

For those familiar with this, upon arrival to SFO.

At CBP, Can you use the left hand side area for US Residents? Or are you technically still a foreigner and need to go down the right hand 'visitor' area (which is always slow af).

Just wondering as last time I flew in and ask, the girl didn't really know so I queued up with all the visitors.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Into SFO on an L1

Originally Posted by dbr84
At CBP, Can you use the left hand side area for US Residents? Or are you technically still a foreigner and need to go down the right hand 'visitor' area (which is always slow af).
Last time I went through SFO the lanes to the left were marked as being for US Citizens and permanent residents.

You are a visitor with an L1 visa, not a citizen or a permanent resident, so you still have to use the visitor lines.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 5:43 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Are you eligible for Global Entry? If so, apply.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

From border patrol view you are a temporary visitor and while on an L1 you always will be. You generally have to use the long line until you get a Green Card.

They got a little shirty with me last time I came back from the UK (having been here for 3+ years, kids in school, yada yada) when I mistakenly said that I 'lived here'.

Can't remember if this was SEA of SFO though.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 8:20 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roberth1970
They got a little shirty with me last time I came back from the UK (having been here for 3+ years, kids in school, yada yada) when I mistakenly said that I 'lived here'.
They're wrong, you're right. You are living in the US with L-1(A|B) status. You don't require citizenship or Permanent Residency to 'live' in the US.

I would have ensured they were appropriately corrected. Remember, tier 1 CBP aren't the brightest.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

roberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond reputeroberth1970 has a reputation beyond repute

"I would have ensured they were appropriately corrected. Remember, tier 1 CBP aren't the brightest."

I'm a practical kind of person. I'm not convinced that the entry line is the place to make a principled stand.

I just told them when they asked me what I meant that I worked here, kids were in school, my wife volunteered at the food bank etc. The agent was cool after that, but I might be inclined to use different words next time.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

nope - i've entered into SFO as L1 a number of times...you go to the "non US" line. TBH it's often pretty speedy. I travel with US citizens a lot and they are often only through 5 or 10 minutes after me - depending on the time of day.

If you're on an EU flight, usually they are processed swiftly. I had the misfortune of coming in with a philipine flight that was delayed, and was stuck waiting for 60 minutes. But thats an outlier, usually i was through in <20mins
Old Oct 19th 2016, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Are you eligible for Global Entry? If so, apply.

This. I've saved an average of about 90 minutes waiting in the "visa" line everytime I come back into IAH.

Definitely worth the $100 and £30, although probably only if you travel into the US more than twice a year, as it's a little hassle to sort.
Old Nov 3rd 2016, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

paleale is an unknown quantity at this point

I've not been back since Nov 2015 - but when I was there you could go through the US Citizen automated line even on an active ESTA (one that you had previously travelled on). Might have changed now though.
Old Nov 5th 2016, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

L1 visa goes through the 'visitor' line. Sadly you can't use the new automated machines that citizens, LPRs and non-first-time ESTAs can use.

It was pleasant using them as an LPR for the first time. 'Welcome home' said the agent

[I thought only citizens and LPRs qualified for Global Entry, but ICBW]
Old Nov 6th 2016, 8:19 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paleale
I've not been back since Nov 2015 - but when I was there you could go through the US Citizen automated line even on an active ESTA (one that you had previously travelled on). Might have changed now though.
That sounds unlikely. There are automated machines at visitor lines at some airports though. Perhaps that was a source of confusion.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubernathan

[I thought only citizens and LPRs qualified for Global Entry, but ICBW]
Global entry opened up for UK citizens last year, a godsend for me as a work visa holder. I don't dread hitting Miami any more.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 7:14 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Global entry opened up for UK citizens last year, a godsend for me as a work visa holder. I don't dread hitting Miami any more.
The GE implementation the U.K. side is silly though. I have a speeding conviction, which would immediately stop me from applying for the Home Office GE code.

Yet here in the US I've been approved for GE just fine, and with an arrest for a CIMT.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 11:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I have Global Entry on an L1, as mentioned earlier it's a godsend. Rolling into the visa line in Houston would average 90 minutes (after 10 hours, at least, of flying). I timed it last time, took me 3 minutes.