Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Intl Autosource

Intl Autosource

Old Nov 26th 2012, 8:12 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice
Default Re: Intl Autosource

Have just re-looked on NY State website and it does say 30 days, you are correct Bob. We must have been completely illegal for quite a while. Somewhere along the lines we understood we had a year and bought the car through IA who accepted our UK licences for the purchase and registration. It could be difficult to get a licence in NY State within the 30 days because you have to do the written test, pre book the five hour course (waiting at least a week for a place, sometimes more) and then book your test online. (I had to wait three weeks for the first available one) Complete the test, pass and then wait for the license to come in the mail. Took us approx 6 weeks. I guess we are now legal. Phew, we were lucky. :-)
Old Nov 26th 2012, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Intl Autosource

Originally Posted by VJW
Have just re-looked on NY State website and it does say 30 days, you are correct Bob. We must have been completely illegal for quite a while. Somewhere along the lines we understood we had a year and bought the car through IA who accepted our UK licences for the purchase and registration. It could be difficult to get a licence in NY State within the 30 days because you have to do the written test, pre book the five hour course (waiting at least a week for a place, sometimes more) and then book your test online. (I had to wait three weeks for the first available one) Complete the test, pass and then wait for the license to come in the mail. Took us approx 6 weeks. I guess we are now legal. Phew, we were lucky. :-)
Michigan law allowed us to purchased with UK license.

We forwarded SS numbers to IA before they would release the cars. We ordered two Fords, the Focus was custom built, the Fiesta - they had bought a stock of them with option packs on and we got one of them cheaper.
We ordered about a month before we left the UK and were told it would be 12 weeks after their received our SS numbers for delivery.
In reality, we collected the cars only 4 weeks after arriving and 2 weeks after submitting our SS numbers to IA.