Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Intl Autosource

Intl Autosource

Old Oct 24th 2012, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice
Default Re: Intl Autosource

Thanks for this - this might be an interesting solution to my car worries.

However - does this help build up a US credit history at all ?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by COSPhil
Thanks for this - this might be an interesting solution to my car worries.

However - does this help build up a US credit history at all ?
Yes, as monthly payments are reported.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

COSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really niceCOSPhil is just really nice

This sounds very good - I shall send them an enquiry forthwith!

I assume there is no similar organisation that deals in used motors? I've always objected to buying from new!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by COSPhil
I assume there is no similar organisation that deals in used motors? I've always objected to buying from new!
New cars seem to hold their values better here - not quite so much of a value drop as soon as you drive off the forecourt!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

princessconsuela is an unknown quantity at this point

I got my car on a lease through IA in 2010. I feel I remember the down payment was flexible.

All in all it was a mixed experience for me. They did try and up the price at the last minute which I fought them on and they backed down. That being said a lot of people had the price drop so I think it's the luck of the draw. The car was quick to arrive when I got here (they ordered mine in to order so you may want to act soon to get out of a rental car sooner). The best part has been that I couldn't have got credit approval if I walked into a dealership in the US (and couldn't afford a car outright) and the car loan has quickly improved my credit limit.

My biggest issue was that I payed MSRP for the car. Now being over here I see that there's negotiation on MSRP going into a dealership. So I may have overpayed by about $1000-2000. I still think it was probably the best way to go for me though.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

A few weeks after I'd paid a deposit they sent out a mass mailing offering a significant price cut and to reply if interested. I did so and they actually phoned me back saying it was for new customers only - but they would honour it anyway, which they did.

Shame they didn't honour the bit about being self employed not being a problem, but hey ho! At least the deposit was returned within days. I look on it now and realise it was a bad idea anyway, we would have struggled to pay some months, so it was a blessing in disguise I guess.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

coxinio is an unknown quantity at this point

Went through these guys to get a 2013 Ford Escape SE, seemed to get a cheaper monthly than I get could get on similar specced models direct from the dealerships, Chevy Equinox, VW Tiguan etc.

The sales process took some time however once through to the person who organised and handled the delivery for you they were extremely helpful.

There had been a recall on the Escape model which meant delivery would be delayed so they arranged a month's rental for me and fully reimbursed the costs.

I'm not sure I'll lease again after the term is completed but would happily recommend.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 11:00 am
Just Joined

biggusmickus is an unknown quantity at this point

I asked them for a quote on a few vehicles on Wed 21, 4 days back and it was ok, though I still have yet to receive the quotes that he assured me that I've receive that day.

First off, they only offer leases on VW, Audi and Ford; the other makes listed on their site are only available for purchase.

The other issue is that the chap said as all their cars are built to order, if I ordered this week, it would be March before I could take delivery. I've had this wait and longer in the UK but when I was visiting dealerships in Boston 2 weeks ago, they stated that most likely they could locate a built vehicle with my spec within 24 hours but that if it had to be built, it would be max 6 weeks for delivery. Can anyone advise which sounds more likely? When I raised the issue with him he maintained that it was academic as I wouldn't be able to take delivery of the car until I had got my Mass driving licence. When I mused that I'd probably be better off buying used on arrival, he again stated that I would not be able to do this until I received my Mass driving licence. I intend to check after the Thanksgiving break, but I'm pretty sure that colleagues that have moved over from the UK and got their SSN have bought used cars off lots, insured them and driven away on their UK licence. I do appreciate that one should get a local licence within 30 days or so but can't see how it would impact the purchase of a car. I'd be very grateful for any thoughts on the above.

The insurance he quoted did sound to be about 30% lower from what I was seeing elsewhere.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 12:20 pm
VJW
Forum Regular

VJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really niceVJW is just really nice

See my older post number 11. Also when we did finally get the car we still had our UK licences and it wasnt a problem. We live in NY state so we had a year to get our licences.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by VJW
See my older post number 11. Also when we did finally get the car we still had our UK licences and it wasnt a problem. We live in NY state so we had a year to get our licences.
Thanks for that vjw and flipping hell, that's a proper lead time. I'd quickly read through the thread but your delay was clearly too big to register.

We only got confirmation a few weeks back and we're over in mid-January so I guess that we've left it a bit late. Thanks as well for confirming my thoughts on the licences as then we really would be in trouble having to get a long-term rental.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 4:04 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggusmickus

The other issue is that the chap said as all their cars are built to order, if I ordered this week, it would be March before I could take delivery.
IA was originally started as a way for US military personnel come home to buy cars cheaply. Still in that case they give huge discounts, and also to US citizens who have worked overseas now as well. These discounts are subsidized by the manufactures. That is why IA do not use dealer stock, which has been purchased from the factory by the dealer at a higher price than IA pay. All the vehicles are built to order, and delivered to a local dealer for collection.

Mine was at the dealer a few days early.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
IA was originally started as a way for US military personnel come home to buy cars cheaply. Still in that case they give huge discounts, and also to US citizens who have worked overseas now as well. These discounts are subsidized by the manufactures. That is why IA do not use dealer stock, which has been purchased from the factory by the dealer at a higher price than IA pay. All the vehicles are built to order, and delivered to a local dealer for collection.

Mine was at the dealer a few days early.
I've yet to see the quote but I appreciate what you're saying. I've always waited at least 16 weeks for delivery here in the UK so it's not the end of the world but I simply wondered why Dodge and Ford dealers in Boston were quoting 6 weeks for a built vehicle. The other query was why I wouldn't be able to pick up a used car in the meantime without a licence. It would appear that the chap was either mistaken or trying to get me into a rental, as he advised that without the licence, that was the only car that I could drive.

Thanks again for the advice
Old Nov 25th 2012, 7:19 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I've yet to see the quote but I appreciate what you're saying. I've always waited at least 16 weeks for delivery here in the UK so it's not the end of the world but I simply wondered why Dodge and Ford dealers in Boston were quoting 6 weeks for a built vehicle. The other query was why I wouldn't be able to pick up a used car in the meantime without a licence. It would appear that the chap was either mistaken or trying to get me into a rental, as he advised that without the licence, that was the only car that I could drive.

Thanks again for the advice
The Jeep I purchased in round figures had a sticker price of $40k, the dealers price from the factory was $36k, and I paid IA $32k. I guess with that big a discount the manufacturers fit the build in to suit themselves, as opposed to getting it done ASAP to avoid losing a customer.

Not surprised IA might have been wrong over the licence details. Where I live you cannot buy any car from a dealer without an Oreogn licence and a SS number. It was IA who fortunately advised me of the problem, so we put the order for the vehicle in my wife's name as she had both.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

The other issue is that the chap said as all their cars are built to order
Originally Posted by lansbury
All the vehicles are built to order
That's not right. I had a choice of pre-built cars but went for a custom build as the only ones available were either too expensive for me, or only very basic models. That was pretty much exactly a year ago.
Old Nov 26th 2012, 6:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VJW
Are you sure it's 12 months? There's very few states where that actually is the case, when one is taking residence in the state, as in getting a job or place of abode when not being a student.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.