Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Interview on Thursday - & there's a bloody tube strike!

Wikiposts

Interview on Thursday - & there's a bloody tube strike!

Old Sep 4th 2007, 10:43 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Interview on Thursday - & there's a bloody tube strike!

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Hi guys

I'm worrying again!!!
I've got my visa interview at the embassy in London on Thursday, and I've just found out the flipping tubes are on strike!! My appointment is at 10.30 and I'm getting the train into Kings Cross at about 8.30. Looking at the map the embassy is only a mile and a quarter from Kings Cross - is anyone familiar with central London, would I easily be able to walk this? I'll probably try and get a black cab, but if the tubes aren't running, then everyone else'll be trying to do that as well... I really don't wanna be late for my appointment!
Hope I'm not in there too long, I hate these formal interview thingies! They better bloody grant my visa - I'm on a L2, and my hubbie got his visa last week in Dublin - surely there's no reason why they would refuse to give his wife and daughter a visa is there???
Any help regarding in relation to actually getting to the embassy would be great!
Many thanks peeps...
Keira

Good Luck with the interview, I would suggest you spend the night in London, then you don't have to rush or worry about missing your appointment.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 6:31 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview on Thursday - & there's a bloody tube strike!

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
Try www.walkit.com. They estimate 31 minutes fast!
I would suggest you catch a bus along Euston Road to say Marylebone and cut down from there.
Unless you're familiar with the area or have excellent sense of direction don't try cutting through.

Good luck - hoping to get my own dates soon. When did you file?
I like that website, thanks for posting that link!

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Thanks for that mayhem! I'm just gonna make sure I've got me comfy shoes on - to hell with trying to make a good impression at the embassy!

Erm when did we file. I'm almost embarrassed to say this but less than 4 weeks ago. My husband is being transferred on an L1A visa, and his company have blanket approval, therefore they employ a law firm who have done all the paperwork from start to finish. I didn't know we were moving to the States until 4 weeks ago... my husband already has got his visa (which he got at US embassy in Dublin because it was quicker than waiting for an appointment in London) and I get mine and my daughters this Thursday. We relocate at the end of this month.

I can see from all the previous posts that normally it is a very long drawn out process, I guess we have been very fortunate....

Good luck with yours

Regards Keira
They won't see your shoes, you get interviewed through a window similar to those at the bank.. so they'll only see you from the waist up ..
Old Sep 4th 2007, 6:37 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

A mile and a quarter is nothing! Plenty of time to get drunk along the way....
Old Sep 4th 2007, 6:37 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck - yes it's through a window and ours took about 30 seconds.
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

They won't see your shoes, you get interviewed through a window similar to those at the bank.. so they'll only see you from the waist up ..[/QUOTE]

Excellent - I won't need to shave my legs then?
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
The walkit estimate I think was a bit optimistic. Clearly your train times will influence when you can get there but I'd leave at least an hour for that walk.
And take your A-Z. If you do go for a bus and it ends up really slow you can always then hop off and start walking.

Four weeks huh?? Marvellous. Don't see why lawyers filling in the forms should make a difference, it's all ink right? I think it is who they are able to hand them over to that is the cinch! (maybe that and the extra envelope of cash???) ;-)
Old Sep 4th 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Latest: Tube strike in London is "called off". As of now 09:00hrs 05 Sep 07 there are still severe delays/cancellations and suspensions on some lines, eg Central, District, Piccadilly, Metropolitan. On other lines servics are running "normally". Apparently the strike has been "suspended", whatever that means. The leader of the strike on London Underground is a dinosaur muppet called Bob Crowe, of the RMT Union, who is a bloke determined to remain in 1970s mode and causing "industrial unrest" is his life's ambition.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...rike&HBX_OU=50
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:02 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck.
Our interview was in July 2005, a few days after the bombings in London.
We went down the night before and walked most of the way from the hotel.
We waited ages outside the embassy and a long time inside. Then all of a sudden it was our turn, took less than 10 mins and we were outside again.

We paid for premium delivery and our passports were back with us by the end of the week.

The worst thing was waiting outside. It was very hot, there is nowhere really to sit, my kids were bored rigid....go to the loo before you begin queuing.
I think because of the bombs the police were very suspicious of anyone with a coffee cup and told several people to get rid of them. They were OK with bottles of water.
Once you are inside the embassy you can buy drinks and snacks.

I don't know if we waited longer because this is the big time of year when people moving to the US on H1B visas in Oct are having their visa appointments.