Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Interview scheduling

Interview scheduling

Old Jun 5th 2001, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Mikie2468 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

My fiancee recently received our notice of approval from VSC. I contacted my local US Embassy (London) immediately, and they sent me packet #3.

I'm hoping to get the interview out of the way before the end of the month, when I plan to head out to the US. Basically I'll be going then, be it on a K1 or a normal visa waiver; but if I can get the K1 I won't have to go to the expense of flying back for the interview.

I'm wondering if anyone has any hints or tips on how to speed up scheduling of the interview. My packet #3 forms etc. are ready for today's post, and I have birth certificates, police records etc. all collected and ready. Is it worth hassling them by phone? Has anyone had any success with other methods?

What are my chances of getting the interview done before July?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated,

Mike.
Old Jun 5th 2001, 3:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The chances are slim if not non-existent. VSC is running far behind in sending the Notice of Action for the receipt of the I-129F. It averages about two to three weeks for this to come through lately.

As for the interview in London, they might have send you packet #3 but just getting your police clearance could take you six weeks from the New Scotland Yard.

I think you had best plan on returning to London for the interview some time in August and/or September and/or perhaps just marrying when you come here in June.

Rita
Old Jun 5th 2001, 3:12 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies .. you already have your police clearance.

As for harrassing them, they won't do anything without official word from the US Service Center that you have been approved. (You might be able to give them "her" original Notice of Approval when it comes and she mails it to you but that will be longer than the end of June.)

Harrassing them also might very well put someone's back out of joint and place you at the end of the line instead of the front where you wish to push yourself. You are not the only person in the world in love in the UK with a finacee in the US. The operative word here is "patience".

Rita
Old Jun 5th 2001, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

Mikie2468 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rita, thanks for the response.

I think you misunderstand me slightly.

We have a Notice of Approval from Vermont, dated May 22. I also have police clearance, long form birth certificate etc. - if London could schedule me an interview tomorrow, I would be prepared for it. (well, almost.) Packet #3 went back to the embassy today.

All we are waiting for is Vermont to cable the approval to London (if this hasn't already happened) and for them to give me an interview date.

Do you have any more guidance on this situation? How do you mean, marry when I come over in June? Won't I just have to leave when the 90-day limit on the visa waiver elapses?

Thanks for your help,

Mike.
Old Jun 5th 2001, 8:34 pm
Concierge

Yup I didn't read your post fully and missed that you had been approved already.

As for the marrying while here in the US part, if you can make a clean entry into the US with committing any verbal fraud at the POE, you can marry while here and stay and adjust status. You do not have to leave at the end of the 90 day visa waiver limit.

All you would be doing is by-passing the K-1 step and instead of just filing the I-485 after your marriage and for the right to work and travel outside of the US, you would have also filed the I-130. But since you are this close to K-1 approval it makes no sense whatsoever to abandon that approach.

Rita
Old Apr 14th 2003, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

IrishPrince is an unknown quantity at this point

What if a wedding was planned and paid for though?

It's ok then to go ahead with that and one wouldnt have to leave after 90 days?

And could one work, or would that take a bit longer?
Old Apr 14th 2003, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold
Default DO NOT FLY ON VISA WAVIER SCHEME

Do not fly to the USA before you get the visa, you will be put on the first plane back to the UK. I asked about this last week, and my fiancée has spoken with an INS official and he confirmed that not only would you be liable to be deported back on the plane you arrived on, it would in all probability blow your K1 visa application out of the water. The Visa Waiver Programme is NOT allowed to people who have applied for a fiancé(e)'s visa.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 5:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DO NOT FLY ON VISA WAVIER SCHEME

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Do not fly to the USA before you get the visa, you will be put on the first plane back to the UK. I asked about this last week, and my fiancée has spoken with an INS official and he confirmed that not only would you be liable to be deported back on the plane you arrived on, it would in all probability blow your K1 visa application out of the water. The Visa Waiver Programme is NOT allowed to people who have applied for a fiancé(e)'s visa.
doc,
I'm not contradicting what you & your intended were told, but what you've posted is not true. If you check over at the marriage-based forum, you will see that there are plenty of people who succesfully visit the US on the VW *during* their fiance visa process. It is not illegal, unallowed or impossible.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 7:09 am
Just Joined

lestill22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just want to agree about being able to fly on VISA waiver while having a pending K-1 case. My fiance flew over to visit and plan the wedding. The only thing that you need is evidence that you intend to return back to the UK. My fiance had a letter from his employer, bank statements, and proof that he was enrolled in a college course. He did not have any problems but he was prepared if they asked him any questions.

Lisa