Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Interview this friday (london) any advice ?

Interview this friday (london) any advice ?

Old Sep 29th 2002, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

foolish501 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview this friday (london) any advice ?

Well nearly a year since my wife filed all the paperwork, i have my interview in london this friday.

Anybody got any advice for me ? I've got my interview first, then medical.

Any experiences to help me would be appreciated.
Old Sep 29th 2002, 6:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview this friday (london) any advice ?

Originally posted by foolish501:
Well nearly a year since my wife filed all the paperwork, i have my interview in london this friday.

As Roger would say "take your brellie". Don't be nervous. You are dealing with one of the nicest US Consulates going. Between them and Vancouver, it is a toss up who wins the Ms. Congenitality Award for the year.

Have your documents in order of the check they sent you. One pile of copies for them and the same exact pile of originals for you. In this way you can pull out the original if they ask for it. Dress is casual but clean and remember to lose the gum before you go inside.

:-)

Rete
Old Sep 29th 2002, 8:10 pm
Scarlett

>, i have my
    >> interview in london this friday.

i missed your original post. congrats on the interview. i hope all goes well.
when did you file your papers with the embassy? ie how long did it take from
them acknowledging receipt to you getting the interview?

thanks,
scarlett

Old Sep 29th 2002, 10:02 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

--------------------------
First of all I'm sure you realise that Rete meant "remember your brolly"...

As someone who went through the I-130 process and interviewed about a year ago, all I can say is:
check you have all your documents, then a few hours later, check again.

Once you have all your documentation, put it into some kind of order.

Have you got exact directions about how to get to the US Embassy in London? Details for the tube, buses, overground trains or whatever forms of transport you are using?

How do you intend to pay for the medical? Have the cash ready if that's how you wish to pay, otherwise have your debit or credit card ready.

If you've got anything like a penknife attached to your keyring, remove that. It'll make life easier for you when you go through the security check.

Bring something to read. You'll have waiting time during the medical and at the embassy prior to the interview. Maybe you'd fancy picking up a paper that morning or bringing a book.

That's about all I can suggest. The documents are the most important, of course.

Other than that, all I can say is to wish you luck.

Regards,
Old Sep 29th 2002, 10:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

[SIZE=1]Originally posted by NC Penguin:

--------------------------
First of all I'm sure you realise that Rete meant "remember your brolly"...
Yup I did. But with a Yank accent (NYese) it would be brellie as in Umbrella ;-))))

Rete
Old Sep 30th 2002, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Hi,

The only advice I can offer (apart from the brolly/brellie !!)
is try to relax and stay calm (easier said than done I know)

Honestly, it really isn't that bad, and as Rete said, the Embassy staff do go our of their way to be as friendly and helpful as they can, I honestly believe that they do want to issues visas to people who go for the interview, after all you have got this far.

Personally I found the stress in the build up and paperwork leading up to the interview far more daunting than the day itself.
Just think, next Friday when you leave the Embassy at about
1/1.30 with your visa in your hand, you'll be thinking "Well that wasn't so bad".

The same applies to the medical, again friendly staff and a doddle really.

Another piece of advice, take your mobile (although you'll have to leave it with security) because when you come out of the Embassy you'll be so elated you'll want to phone anyone who will listen.

Best wishes and good luck next week

Roger
Old Sep 30th 2002, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

jsv888 is an unknown quantity at this point

How long did it take you to get your police certificate?
Old Sep 30th 2002, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Police certificate took around 6 weeks to arrive.
Old Sep 30th 2002, 7:33 am
Blue Jjjj3124126

I had mine last Friday and it is indeed the buildup that is the worst. The
Embassy staff are very courteous and friendly and also appreciative of the fact
the documents were in order and easy to go through.
Just be honest and answer only what is asked of you.
The best of luck to you on your day,
rgards,
Jacqueline W

Old Sep 30th 2002, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everybody for there responces on this. I'm dreading friday, like everybody else who's been in the same boat it's a very important day.

Well today i've checked and double checked my forms, and put them into order for them.

Fingers crossed for friday.

P.S They don't ask any probing questions do they ?