Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Internship Agencies

Internship Agencies

Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:04 am
Just Joined

zombie.sweetheart is a jewel in the roughzombie.sweetheart is a jewel in the roughzombie.sweetheart is a jewel in the roughzombie.sweetheart is a jewel in the rough
Default Internship Agencies

Hello there, I am a 26 year old graduate currently living in the UK. I have two degrees (Bachelors and Masters) from good universities and have been working 3 years in full time employment.

I have been looking into coming to work in America for 12 - 18 months on a J-1 visa (I think this is correct). Apparently there is an internship program for students and "young professionals" such as myself.

I have spoken to a couple of agencies that offer help with finding a job in America and advice on the visa application. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these agencies?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Internship Agencies

Hello there in Nottingham, I'm a Leicester lad, and it seems you find yourself in the same place I was back in 2000. I was 26 when I decided to do an internship in the US - I arranged my J-1 visa through BUNAC http://www.bunac.org and came over on their Overseas Practical Training program. It was ideal for me as I had graduated 5 years previous so was not eligible for their Work America program. However looking at their website it looks like things have changed since I applied. If I were you I'd check out the Council Exchanges intern program http://www.ciee.org/trainee as it's valid for young professionals. I found the organisation where I did my internship in the Council Exchanges directory which is no longer publicly accessible online but if you contact the CIEE Rep they should give you a login, and it was through BUNAC that I arranged my visa.

One piece of advice - if you fly back to the UK during the course of your internship, as I did to attend my brothers wedding, get whoever issues your J1 visa to sign the back of it before you leave the UK - in my case I made a quick trip to the BUNAC office in London and they were happy to oblige me. The US immigration officer checked my J1 visa at the airport and I would have been refused entry to the US without the signature. You should have a US co-signatory in case you prefer to get the signature before you leave the US.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dewey; Feb 7th 2008 at 1:56 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:39 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zombie.sweetheart
I have spoken to a couple of agencies that offer help with finding a job in America and advice on the visa application. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these agencies?

They are expert as taking your money ...period ..
Old Feb 7th 2008, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

zombie.sweetheart is a jewel in the roughzombie.sweetheart is a jewel in the roughzombie.sweetheart is a jewel in the roughzombie.sweetheart is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Dewey, that is a great help. I do understand that it will cost me to go through this process with an agency, but I feel it's worth it as I feel there is more chance of being successful. I guess you just have to make sure you pick an agency with a good reputation.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

'sright me duck, go with an agency like the CIEE (which is a non-profit), and you'll get help finding a company, a visa sponsor for you and any dependents, host company screening and program evaluation so you're not sold into white slavery, in country assistance in an emergency, and medical insurance. Sure you can arrange these things by yourself, you pays your money you takes your choice...but it was reassuring and less time consuming for me that these things were taken care of.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends when you graduated, can only use the J1 for x amount of years, so if you've been working three years, you might be to late...but search the requirements for one, and check up on the 2 year HRR.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

The rules may have changed from when I applied, but I was the same age as the person who started the topic, I had graduated 5 years previously, and I was eligible for a J1. You should look at the 2 year post-internship foreign residency requirement but it only applies to certain occupations and I was free to apply for a new visa later.

Last edited by Dewey; Feb 7th 2008 at 5:25 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dewey
'sright me duck, go with an agency like the CIEE (which is a non-profit), and you'll get help finding a company, a visa sponsor for you and any dependents, host company screening and program evaluation so you're not sold into white slavery, in country assistance in an emergency, and medical insurance. Sure you can arrange these things by yourself, you pays your money you takes your choice...but it was reassuring and less time consuming for me that these things were taken care of.
Yes I agree, for the sake of time and security I am happy to pay someone else! This sounds perfect. MUCH appreciated.

Just with reference to the new conditions, it looks like there are two types of J1:

J1 Intern - if you are a student or graduated in the last year.
J1 Trainee - if you graduated more than a year ago but have a year of work experience OR if you have no degree and 5 years work experience in a relevant field.

You are then allowed to stay 12 - 18 months depending on what job you are doing.

Now I just have to save up and decide where I wanna go...I'm thinking Texas!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree, for the sake of time and security I am happy to pay someone else! This sounds perfect. MUCH appreciated.

Just with reference to the new conditions, it looks like there are two types of J1:

J1 Intern - if you are a student or graduated in the last year.
J1 Trainee - if you graduated more than a year ago but have a year of work experience OR if you have no degree and 5 years work experience in a relevant field.

You are then allowed to stay 12 - 18 months depending on what job you are doing.

Now I just have to save up and decide where I wanna go...I'm thinking Texas!
Texas. Hmmm. Wouldn't be my choice, but of course it isn't me. It will certainly be different.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:09 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Texas. Hmmm. Wouldn't be my choice, but of course it isn't me. It will certainly be different.
I'm sure Zombie Sweetheart will have a ball with all the bible thumpers!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I'm sure Zombie Sweetheart will have a ball with all the bible thumpers!
Well, they have lots of nice horses, and hats, and six-shooters too

I like the west, but I'd prefer Arizona or New Mexico myself. Much prettier imo, and more interesting honestly.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

I did think about Arizona too, I am a sucker for the whole West/cowboy thing. Wanted to live there my whole life. Not really sure how to figure out the best place to go as obviously career is the most important thing.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I did think about Arizona too, I am a sucker for the whole West/cowboy thing. Wanted to live there my whole life. Not really sure how to figure out the best place to go as obviously career is the most important thing.
Well yes, career comes first.

I have actually done the cowboy (well cowgirl) thing in Arizona, lived out there, rounded up cattle, and the whole deal. It is marvelous.

And New Mexico is beautiful too, lots of Native American culture in spots.

I'd recommend them over Texas personally.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

You guys seem pretty down on Texas. I guess it's a good idea to go visiting before you decide where to live...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 4:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

You guys seem pretty down on Texas. I guess it's a good idea to go visiting before you decide where to live...
Maybe get us talking about Alabama and what we say about Texas will seem nice in comparison...

P.S. Is it hygienic to lick zombies like that? (Sorry - had to ask...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.