Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Internet Service Provider

Internet Service Provider

Old Nov 29th 2011, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

KrisL1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Internet Service Provider

What's the most cost effective internet provider that you use or you know of?

I am currently shopping around for something a little cheaper than $49 a month and looking for the best but cheapest possible.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet Service Provider

Originally Posted by KrisL1
Generally speaking, you're usually limited to what's available where you live. You haven't said... and we're not mind readers.

I am currently shopping around for something a little cheaper than $49 a month and looking for the best but cheapest possible.
Best and cheap? Those are mutually exclusive options. I use Armstrong and pay $40/month for their Zoom 500 service. I've no idea whether or not you have access to Armstrong.

Ian
Old Nov 29th 2011, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

Originally Posted by KrisL1

As previously stated without knowing where you are its hard to comment.

FiOS is the service to get if its available, its a Verizon product and is as fast as it comes in the USA.

Depending on needs, users, budget and location as to what many would recommend. Give us more info and I am sure we will be able to steer you in the right direction.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

KrisL1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you are very much correct sorry for not disclosing the info. I reside in Rhode Island, I currently have cox communications as my provider. I know FIOS is not currently in my area and I believe also Armstong is not in the area either. I have looked into AT&T which is my cell phone network but they are not in my area yet either they seemed to offer a really good rate of $14.95 for a 12 month deal with not contract and not activation fee using 3 Mbps.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Comcast? If you dont' have FIOS, probably your best bet for speed, especially if you get a bundle deal.

Earthlink for cheap, shit, dial up.

Cox and Charter aren't that great, but will get you going I guess.

http://www.internetserviceproviders.org/ and see who provides service in your area. There probably isn't much choice anyway.
Old Nov 29th 2011, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

laety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud oflaety has much to be proud of

try Time Warner, we pay 14.95 for a 10 mg connection and so far its pretty good!
Old Nov 29th 2011, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Time Warner...and pretty good....

They were marginally better than what Adelphia were plopping out back in the day when they were still around though
Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:33 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Comcast? If you dont' have FIOS, probably your best bet for speed, especially if you get a bundle deal.

Earthlink for cheap, shit, dial up.

Cox and Charter aren't that great, but will get you going I guess.

http://www.internetserviceproviders.org/ and see who provides service in your area. There probably isn't much choice anyway.
We have comcast here and its a bit like wading through Marmite()
I get much faster using my t-mobile phone as a hotspot. If it wasn't such a hassle setting it up and losing connection every time I have an incoming call, I'd ditch comcast in a hearbeat....
Old Nov 30th 2011, 4:50 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The system is somewhat monopolistic in that there are basically only two options for wires coming in your house, telephone or cable TV.

By law, telephone (but not cable tv) companies have to make available their copper lines for other ISP providers to offer their services, but they do so rather grudgingly. That means the physical line into your house and the connection at the street corner is going to belong to the phone company and you might get service off the back of those wires. But since the phone company also offers you service, they are really not in the mood to allow others to use their system if they don't have to. Here is an example of a phone call to customer support for a non-teleco ISP

"Hi, my Internet is down."
"It's not our problem, you need to call the phone company. they have a problem"
"Hi phone company, my Internet is down"
"It's not our problem, you need to call your ISP. They have a problem."
"Hi again ISP, my Internet is down"
"Call the phone company, again"

etc, etc.

So really you can basically just shop between the big two providers in your town (phone or cable, or if you are lucky, FIOS fiber) and see what is offered. Adding a secondary ISP over someone else's lines really isn't going to save you that much money and might lead to some customer support nightmares.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the process of moving and I've ditched Comcast, I've been paying roughly $180 a month for the tv/phone/internet, but their service has been crap in my opinion. We're in Connecticut and don't have FIOS, so I too, am looking for a better deal. AT&T is about the only one available from what I can see, but I don't know much about speeds. We watch a lot of BBC etc through our VPN and Comcasts speed was good, so it's a kind of catch 22. So, I have the option of DISH for TV and internet, DIRECTTV for tv, AT&T for internet and phone or go back to Comcast......... spent the day researching it yesterday and its mind boggling, especially when you read the small print if they're holding you to a 2 year contract

Hope you get something sorted out, I started driveling on there as per usual
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We have comcast here and its a bit like wading through Marmite()
I get much faster using my t-mobile phone as a hotspot. If it wasn't such a hassle setting it up and losing connection every time I have an incoming call, I'd ditch comcast in a hearbeat....
Yeah, we're with comcast at the moment and they're shit. We're switching to FIOS, supposed to be today, but apparently not, they're re-scheduled for next Monday instead

We didn't have FIOS at our old place, they put the line in only as far as the house next door and we didn't want to pay extra to install, plus we were able to poach some extra's off Comcast for free such as a bunch of movie vouchers as the chap upstairs at the time used to work for them.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Brat1
We're in the process of moving and I've ditched Comcast, I've been paying roughly $180 a month for the tv/phone/internet, but their service has been crap in my opinion. We're in Connecticut and don't have FIOS, so I too, am looking for a better deal. AT&T is about the only one available from what I can see, but I don't know much about speeds. We watch a lot of BBC etc through our VPN and Comcasts speed was good, so it's a kind of catch 22. So, I have the option of DISH for TV and internet, DIRECTTV for tv, AT&T for internet and phone or go back to Comcast......... spent the day researching it yesterday and its mind boggling, especially when you read the small print if they're holding you to a 2 year contract

Hope you get something sorted out, I started driveling on there as per usual
If you go satellite, ask them about the snow coverage...because depending on where they have to put the dish, it might get knocked out with a little bit of snow.

The in-laws are with DirectTV I think, the only option for TV where they are in Maine, and the old dish would die whenever it snowed, so you can imagine, they didn't have much tv during the winter Anyway, they were given a new dish, installed else where on the roof and they hooked something to it that's basically a little heater I think that stops the snow build up, so works much better in the winter.

Comcast/Verizon do have options for not going on contract if you ask, but you usually don't get the best advertised rates they put on the tele, nor the extra freebies, with FIOS, we're getting a $300 gift card after 90 days if we go on a 2 year contract, but there's no disconnect fee if we move to an area that they don't offer service, other wise there is a $200 cancellation fee.
Old Nov 30th 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond reputeBrat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you go satellite, ask them about the snow coverage...because depending on where they have to put the dish, it might get knocked out with a little bit of snow.

The in-laws are with DirectTV I think, the only option for TV where they are in Maine, and the old dish would die whenever it snowed, so you can imagine, they didn't have much tv during the winter Anyway, they were given a new dish, installed else where on the roof and they hooked something to it that's basically a little heater I think that stops the snow build up, so works much better in the winter.

Comcast/Verizon do have options for not going on contract if you ask, but you usually don't get the best advertised rates they put on the tele, nor the extra freebies, with FIOS, we're getting a $300 gift card after 90 days if we go on a 2 year contract, but there's no disconnect fee if we move to an area that they don't offer service, other wise there is a $200 cancellation fee.
Thanks for the Bob, I remember years ago, that sometimes you would lose Sky when it snowed back home as the snow collected in the dish, but it didn't last long, saying that, we didn't have nearly as much snow as here, so I'll ask them once I decide who I'm going with. Thanks
Old Nov 30th 2011, 11:56 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laety
try Time Warner, we pay 14.95 for a 10 mg connection and so far its pretty good!
Wow - I'm paying $45 for a 15Mb connection with TWC and they're trying to put it up to $58!