Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Internet radios

Internet radios

Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Internet radios

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? being an avid listener of online radio channels from Nashville Public Radio to BBC Wales, I have always thought it would be great to own a radio that accesses stations via the internet ... but thought no such thing existed, until I clicked on an ad on the BE site and got to this site:

http://shop.npr.org/catalog/Clock_Ra...?mode=families

- I'm now wondering whether this would work in the UK (AC supply isn't a problem as it's 110v-240v), or whether there would be some sort of block, based on my UK IP address (it uses a wireless internet connection) - I'm thinking along the lines of BBC's iPlayer blocking overseas IP addresses ...

- I've only ever seen this kind of thing mentioned in the UK once (Sunday Times gadget section), and it basically said the technology is in its infancy, and it is very expensive for what you get - but this looks promising ... any techies out there with a clue?
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Internet radios

Originally Posted by dunroving
or whether there would be some sort of block, based on my UK IP address (it uses a wireless internet connection) - I'm thinking along the lines of BBC's iPlayer blocking overseas IP addresses ...
You should be able to go to the stations web site and listen to them there. If you can do that on a computer with a UK IP address can't see any reason why a dedicated internet radio on a UK IP address would be blocked.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You should be able to go to the stations web site and listen to them there. If you can do that on a computer with a UK IP address can't see any reason why a dedicated internet radio on a UK IP address would be blocked.
Good point - that's how I listen to NPR while working at my computer.

A bit like watching telly on a 15" laptop is naff compared to watching it on a 40" flatscreen, I was thinking an internet radio (especially a clock radio) offers distinct advantages compared to having my laptop next to my bed.

I always used to wake up to NPR in the States, but there's something about waking up to British "talk" radio (like Radio 4 and Radio Scotland) that is quite jarring (the UK media seems to focus so negatively on news stories and interviewers seem to be trained in the art of winding up, arguing with, and interrupting guests). It's really not a very relaxing way to wake up at all. I'd love to be able to wake up to NPR again.

Last edited by dunroving; Dec 10th 2009 at 5:47 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? being an avid listener of online radio channels from Nashville Public Radio to BBC Wales, I have always thought it would be great to own a radio that accesses stations via the internet ... but thought no such thing existed, until I clicked on an ad on the BE site and got to this site:

http://shop.npr.org/catalog/Clock_Ra...?mode=families

- I'm now wondering whether this would work in the UK (AC supply isn't a problem as it's 110v-240v), or whether there would be some sort of block, based on my UK IP address (it uses a wireless internet connection) - I'm thinking along the lines of BBC's iPlayer blocking overseas IP addresses ...

- I've only ever seen this kind of thing mentioned in the UK once (Sunday Times gadget section), and it basically said the technology is in its infancy, and it is very expensive for what you get - but this looks promising ... any techies out there with a clue?
On the Internet reception, it really gives bugger all to go on. "Access world-wide internet radio stations via Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection" tells you absolutely nothing. It's not like there's a unitary streaming method. So...it may work for your favorite station or it may not.

On the FM reception, it most probably won't work since the stepping between channels is different in the US. And as it's a US company who doesn't appear to sell elsewhere, I doubt they bother to give you the option of switching over, even though the chip will undoubtedly have the facility.

Still, the clock and alarm look jolly useful!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 6:08 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by fatbrit
On the Internet reception, it really gives bugger all to go on. "Access world-wide internet radio stations via Wi-Fi and Ethernet connection" tells you absolutely nothing. It's not like there's a unitary streaming method. So...it may work for your favorite station or it may not.

On the FM reception, it most probably won't work since the stepping between channels is different in the US. And as it's a US company who doesn't appear to sell elsewhere, I doubt they bother to give you the option of switching over, even though the chip will undoubtedly have the facility.

Still, the clock and alarm look jolly useful!
This is where I am completely ignorant of how this technology works. I can get the concept of dialling in or searching for a station on an FM radio, and also the concept of typing in a URL for a radio station's Web site on a wi-fi connected laptop, but I have no clue how these two technologies combine in an internet radio ... which is why I was wondering if anyone on here has used one ... I mean, can you type in a URL, or does the radio search the internet for stations ... I just can't get my head around it, but if it works, I want one for Christmas!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 6:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

This is where I am completely ignorant of how this technology works. I can get the concept of dialling in or searching for a station on an FM radio, and also the concept of typing in a URL for a radio station's Web site on a wi-fi connected laptop, but I have no clue how these two technologies combine in an internet radio ... which is why I was wondering if anyone on here has used one ... I mean, can you type in a URL, or does the radio search the internet for stations ... I just can't get my head around it, but if it works, I want one for Christmas!
Look at the Logitech Squeezebox instead. Much more likely to be properly supported.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:27 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Actually there are quite a few internet radios you can buy in the US. The company I founded a few years ago was one of the first to develop these and there are now several on the market.

Pure makes a pretty popular one, and Logitech (which bought out the Slimdevices line) has a few. Panasonic has one and Grace..and well heck:

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...x=0&submit.y=0

However, the market is migrating away from these single purpose devices, in part led by the iPhone and devices like the Chumby. You can now find digital picture frames with audio playback and if you have an iPhone or an iPod touch you can stream radio (and even TV) to the device, planting it in a speaker system to have an Internet radio at your side.

You might want to consider an iPod touch with a speaker dock as they cost about as much as some of these Internet radio systems and have so much more functionality. The next generation of system (which I'm working on with my new company) will likely be rolling out early next year after the CES show in Vegas in January.

p.s. generally these systems use databases of radio stations created by a select few companies that provide direct links to the audio stream. You have to sort them out via the dial (annoying, as there are 1000s) or by the website and starting an account, linking it to your radio, and then getting your presets. Most systems allow you to add a URL of your own via a website that comes to your radio when you want it.

p.p.s. the problem comes with radios only capable of a certain playback, say mp3 or windows only, thus negating stations that stream only in Real Audio. The iPhone/iPod, for example, is primarily mp3 (and some windows media streams) but the nice thing there is you can get an application from NPR that has all the stations in one setting, or other radio applications for different things (police scanners, college radio, Capitol FM out of London, etc)

Last edited by penguinsix; Dec 10th 2009 at 7:30 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:44 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by penguinsix
Actually there are quite a few internet radios you can buy in the US. The company I founded a few years ago was one of the first to develop these and there are now several on the market.

Pure makes a pretty popular one, and Logitech (which bought out the Slimdevices line) has a few. Panasonic has one and Grace..and well heck:

http://www.microcenter.com/search/se...x=0&submit.y=0

However, the market is migrating away from these single purpose devices, in part led by the iPhone and devices like the Chumby. You can now find digital picture frames with audio playback and if you have an iPhone or an iPod touch you can stream radio (and even TV) to the device, planting it in a speaker system to have an Internet radio at your side.

You might want to consider an iPod touch with a speaker dock as they cost about as much as some of these Internet radio systems and have so much more functionality. The next generation of system (which I'm working on with my new company) will likely be rolling out early next year after the CES show in Vegas in January.

p.s. generally these systems use databases of radio stations created by a select few companies that provide direct links to the audio stream. You have to sort them out via the dial (annoying, as there are 1000s) or by the website and starting an account, linking it to your radio, and then getting your presets. Most systems allow you to add a URL of your own via a website that comes to your radio when you want it.

p.p.s. the problem comes with radios only capable of a certain playback, say mp3 or windows only, thus negating stations that stream only in Real Audio. The iPhone/iPod, for example, is primarily mp3 (and some windows media streams) but the nice thing there is you can get an application from NPR that has all the stations in one setting, or other radio applications for different things (police scanners, college radio, Capitol FM out of London, etc)
Thanks, that's very informative, but Gawd I now feel so dumb ... I think I'll stick to my old valve radio. I work with computers every day and am pretty smart with statistical packages, MS Office, teaching technologies ("virtual learning environments"), etc., but I have to admit I am completely flummoxed by the vast array of media-related technology these days and can't fathom why there are so many different, incompatible technologies (it's like the old cassette vs. 8-track battle, but on steroids)
Old Dec 10th 2009, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Look at the Logitech Squeezebox instead. Much more likely to be properly supported.
What he said.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 1:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

If you just want it for radio, get an older gen ipod touch off fleabay and stick it in a cheap speaker dock for peanuts as the newer features would be wasted and you'd not need a large sized one.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have knowledge or experience of these? being an avid listener of online radio channels from Nashville Public Radio to BBC Wales, I have always thought it would be great to own a radio that accesses stations via the internet ...
Don't hesitate, buy one. Great fun. I have a Sanyo which works from the Reciva website via my Wi Fi, you don't even need the computer to be switched on.. All the BBC stations, NPR, hospital radio, comedy radio you name it. Over 10,000 stations and lots with just constant music and no DJ babble or adverts.

In the UK try http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss?...s=wi+fi+radio+
Old Dec 12th 2009, 1:16 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Really what you want is a Sonos S5 and an iPhone to control it. There really isn't any better music/radio experience out there, trust me!
Old Dec 12th 2009, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

I use an iPhone/iTouch with the ooTunes app running on it (just google it). It will run on the iPhone or the PC in a dock thats connected to my HiFi. Right now I'm streaming Northsound 1 from Aberdeen and its probably better reception than I ever had when I listened to it on FM back there.

It also accesses several UK stations that are region blocked, including some of the football broadcasts. If you have an iPhone/Touch then its $4.99 for a whole load of radio broadcasts from all over.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 2:04 am
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Iphone, listen to it in the car. WunderRadio is the Iphone app. I think it was 2 bucks.. Gets most UK stations live anywhere. At home, connect to amp and listen to it all around the house. Easy Peasy..
Old Dec 14th 2009, 3:17 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Or just buy one of these

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=166903

Plug it into your comp and transmit to any radio in your house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.