Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

International TV

International TV

Old Sep 6th 2004, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default International TV

I do not know if people here just like me are completely bored of what is shown on tv here but I was wondering if anyone here knows how/if I can get TV reception from Asia and Europe? Do any satellite companies provide this service in this country? I miss formular 1 and Top Gear amongst other things.

THX in advance.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

bodmin13 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: International TV

Originally Posted by veryfunny
I do not know if people here just like me are completely bored of what is shown on tv here but I was wondering if anyone here knows how/if I can get TV reception from Asia and Europe? Do any satellite companies provide this service in this country? I miss formular 1 and Top Gear amongst other things.

THX in advance.
You can get Formular 1 on the Speed Chanel but I don't know about Top Gear, it is available on BBC World (not BBC American) but I don't know who provides that chanel in the states.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

bodmin13 will become famous soon enough

THX in advance.
OK, part of that last reply was wrong, further research has told me that America is the only place that does not provide BBC World, you can get it in Canada and Mexico and pretty much everywhere else but the US. They do have a Top Gear alternative on Speed Chanel called 5th Gear with Tiff and the guy with the pompus voice, it is shown in England on chanel 5, the format is the same but without Jeremy.
Old Sep 6th 2004, 11:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodmin13
They do have a Top Gear alternative on Speed Chanel called 5th Gear with Tiff and the guy with the pompus voice, it is shown in England on chanel 5, the format is the same but without Jeremy.
It was supposed to be top gear after the beeb ditched the show, but C5 couldn't get the name, then after a bit the beeb brought it back...at least there's competition...
Old Sep 7th 2004, 2:50 am
Just Joined

Freestyler is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh how I miss Harry Enfield, The two Ronnies, Match of the Day, I'm Alan Partridge and Everything else! I don't have cable or satellite which makes it worse... oh look.. more commercials! Praise the Lord we have the Simpsons and King of the Hill
Old Sep 8th 2004, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

TV is just crap, crap, crap - I wish I hadn't wasted my money on bloody satellite. Although at least we have How Clean is Your House starting next week on Lifestyle!...

Actually, it should be.. How Sad is My Life that I am looking forward to this!

I miss MTV Hits, Smash Hits and Magic music channels. I miss Robbie Williams. I even miss Ken Barlow & Co. Oh and I am entirely sick of damn country music and Peptobismol commercials. LOL.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:16 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

I received a couple of very nice private messages from people who post here as I mentioned that I missed Coronation Street. They directed me to a website called:

http://www.uknova.com

You have to register and you need a fast connection....but it's incredible; I'm able to now watch Corrie the day after it was transmitted in the UK! I have no idea how the technology works (good job my husband works in IT) but it's something to do with bit-torrents which is where people around the world make files of short segments of the programmes and they're put together to make one complete programme. The quality is really very good (my husband even made some DVDs for me of a few Corrie episodes so I didn't have to sit at the computer screen)...and it doesn't cost anything but you can make a contribution if you want. It took me a while to understand the website but got there in the end.

They also have lots of other popular programmes which are transmitted on UK television eg. Eastenders and comedy programmes.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 5:26 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

THX in advance.
F1 on the Speed channel is just like ITV. Too many bloody commercials.

Right now, TV is crap. The only shows we really watch are Six Feet Under every Sunday (but this season is ending after next week) and a few programs on BBC America.

Showtime has some good shows like Penn and Teller's Bullsh*t and Dead Like me. They were so good I bought the DVDs.

We mainly use Blockbusters mail DVD service to rent movies to keep us entertained.
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:53 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I received a couple of very nice private messages from people who post here as I mentioned that I missed Coronation Street. They directed me to a website called:
Johnny Briggs has a house around the corner...its available to rent ..
its full of photos of the man himself
Old Sep 8th 2004, 7:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: International TV

Originally Posted by Ray
Johnny Briggs has a house around the corner...its available to rent ..
its full of photos of the man himself
Eh?

Why are you 'retiring' from this forum on September 10th? Pray, do tell!
Old Sep 9th 2004, 6:34 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Eh?
Why are you 'retiring' from this forum on September 10th? Pray, do tell!
5000 posting is enough from anybody..should be a compulsory retirement number.. also I am starting to take root in this chair..and the wife say's...
umm... I better not go there.......
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Well, you'll be missed.

Adios, Ray.
Old Sep 9th 2004, 4:53 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
5000 posting is enough from anybody..should be a compulsory retirement number.. also I am starting to take root in this chair..and the wife say's...
umm... I better not go there.......
Won't be long before you get withdrawl. What are they talking about? Are they talking about me? What's new on the board?

Boy, it's gonna be rough
Old Sep 9th 2004, 5:21 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by rincewind
Won't be long before you get withdrawl. What are they talking about? Are they talking about me? What's new on the board?
Boy, it's gonna be rough
The wife has enough "little jobs" to last years if I stretch it out..
and the nice thing is with a high turnover forum is, your forgetten within a week..and if you come back in 6 months...its all new people..
Old Sep 9th 2004, 5:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
The wife has enough "little jobs" to last years if I stretch it out..
and the nice thing is with a high turnover forum is, your forgetten within a week..and if you come back in 6 months...its all new people..
I wouldn't be so sure bout that...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.