British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   International phone cards? or what do you use? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/international-phone-cards-what-do-you-use-795408/)

judesM Apr 28th 2013 3:40 pm

International phone cards? or what do you use?

I have been using the drug store phone cards for around 3c per minute US to UK. Recently however, they seem to expire before I can use all the minutes. Just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. thanks!

kimilseung Apr 28th 2013 3:52 pm

Re: International phone cards? or what do you use?

Skype is $10.11 inc tax a month for unlimited UK/Ireland/USA/Canada (to landlines only in UK/Ireland)

Pulaski Apr 28th 2013 4:31 pm

Onesuite.com

Minutes last (I think) a year from the most recent recharge, I only ever buy the minimum $10 recharge and at less than 2¢/min (on the local free exchange number, or 1¢/min more to call the 1 800 number) that lasts me six months, and I can call from home, work, or my cell phone. :)

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 28th 2013 4:58 pm

Rebtel

I junked my landline last year but need something similar for the business so have just added Ooma.

Works fine over satellite.

AdobePinon Apr 28th 2013 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by judesM (Post 10682200)
I have been using the drug store phone cards for around 3c per minute US to UK. Recently however, they seem to expire before I can use all the minutes. Just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. thanks!

You have to read the fine print. Some have things like a weekly charge whether you use it or not, and some don't. Some have connection fees, others don't. I can get a lot of mileage out of some of the $10 cards. Others are only useful for one or two calls.

Titchski Apr 28th 2013 6:58 pm

I use Google Voice. 2c a minute to the UK (10c to UK mobiles). You can set it up to use your home phone and/or your mobile. No connection fees and the credit doesn't run out.

Google Voice Getting started video guides: http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

Google Voice iPhone app: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goog...318698524?mt=8

Google Voice Android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...glevoice&hl=en

If you've got a Windows phone there isn't a native Google app, however there's some third party ones, I use MetroTalk.

BritishGuy36 Apr 28th 2013 9:59 pm

Google Voice all the way here.

If you have an android phone, integration is seamless and you can tell it to automatically route calls through GV for just international calls.

It's great to call mum at 2c/min from my cellphone, no need to be tied to a landline package.

I have never given out my 'real' cell number, I just give out my Google Voice number, since the call management / blocking features are awesome, can text from my PC in a browser etc ... and it all syncs with the phone.

Everyone who doesn't use it has no idea what they are missing, it's the best total voice system ever. And no, I don't work for Google. But I'd pay a subscription for GV if it wasn't free, which it is (apart from the international credit, of course).

I have a friend who went overseas for a few months, I helped him get a GV number set up before he left, and he texts his US buddies all day long using a browser and his GV number ... for free.

AZ_Alba Apr 29th 2013 4:54 am

Http://www.pingo.com

1.5 cents per minute to a UK landline

wtkp0u Apr 29th 2013 2:21 pm

Another for Google Voice. Also if you have a decent Internet connection you can pick up an Obi100 for around $40 (no ongoing charge) and hook it up to ring your Google Voice number on your old school home phone. That gives you (currently) free US calls and the 2c/min UK.

Guindalf Apr 29th 2013 2:26 pm

I'm in the Rebtel camp. 1c/min, mins don't expire, $10 refills. Been with them for a few years now and never one single complaint about the service.

www.rebtel.com

chuckles67 Apr 29th 2013 2:51 pm

www.localphone.com

1 cent per minute to UK landlines
2.9¢ per minute to most UK mobiles
free calls to 0800 numbers too - very useful

rent a UK local number for 99¢ per month and forward it to your US number

you can allocate your UK numbers to local numbers here, and call with your mobile at local rates

no subscription expiry

vikingsail Apr 29th 2013 9:47 pm

[QUOTE=BritishGuy36;10682565]Google Voice all the way here.

If you have an android phone, integration is seamless and you can tell it to automatically route calls through GV for just international calls.

It's great to call mum at 2c/min from my cellphone, no need to be tied to a landline package.

I have never given out my 'real' cell number, I just give out my Google Voice number, since the call management / blocking features are awesome, can text from my PC in a browser etc ... and it all syncs with the phone.

Everyone who doesn't use it has no idea what they are missing, it's the best total voice system ever. And no, I don't work for Google. But I'd pay a subscription for GV if it wasn't free, which it is (apart from the international credit, of course).

I have a friend who went overseas for a few months, I helped him get a GV number set up before he left, and he texts his US buddies all day long using a browser and his GV number ... for free.[/QUOTE]

I'll confirm that Google Voice is great for staying in touch for free if your out of the US. I just wish they would offer a monthly plan for Int calls that way I could dump Skype!

Mallory Apr 29th 2013 11:35 pm

I use www.tel3.com.

Bob Apr 30th 2013 6:22 pm

I've noticed we haven't been charged for international calls on our phone, with Verizon FIOS.

We weren't either when on Comcast before.

steyn22 Jun 27th 2013 6:41 pm

An international cell phone calling is usually more expensive than calling a land line phone. You want to call your international phone card with the type of phone you are viewing the correct rate to confirm it.