Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

International Driving Permit?

International Driving Permit?

Old Oct 3rd 2009, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice
Default Re: International Driving Permit?

We are insured with Geico, and they know I only have the UK license and the IDP. They were happy as long as one of us had a NJ license. They have copies of both. I know I really should go and do the computer test.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

No, YOU are not insured.

Your insurance is invalid because you don't have a valid license.

Your other half has a valid license.....you do not.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

NannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really niceNannyAnn is just really nice

Well, after a lot of hassle and many queues, I can now inform you that you are wrong.

I went to do the knowledge test this afternoon, however they refused to let me apply as my passport and visa are in my maiden name, and my SSN and all US documents are in my married name. They informed me that there was no way that they could issue me a NJ license without me first changing my passport and visa into my married name. (even though I had my marriage certificate with me) This I'm not going to do, I have asked immigration officers previously about changing my passport into my married name, and they have all said that I would keep the original visa and have to carry both passports with me. So, I'm stuck between a wall and a hard place.

I just rang Geico to ask their opinion, and they confirmed that I am DEFINATELY covered with my UK license and my IDP.

When my IDP expires in Feb, I may need another plan, but for now, I am good to drive. Will will quite likely have moved to Poland by Christmas anyhow.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

go to another office, you spoke to a muppet....your bits of proof and marriage cert should be enough.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:15 am
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NannyAnn
Well, after a lot of hassle and many queues, I can now inform you that you are wrong.
Methinks otherwise.

You are on an L2 visa? Under which you are entitled, amongst other things, to attend full-time places of education. Not work, true, but you are authorized to attend school.

NJ law states you can use the IDP as you are doing "If you are visiting the United States for a period not exceeding one year and are not authorized to work or attend school in the country."

Originally Posted by NannyAnn
I just rang Geico to ask their opinion, and they confirmed that I am DEFINATELY covered with my UK license and my IDP.
Geico's word will count for nothing if the law catches on...

Be careful
Old Oct 6th 2009, 12:24 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid

Be careful
I'd also ask for that in writing because some jobsworth aint' going to care if your policy is voided because you got in an accident and they find out they don't have to pay out...
Old Oct 6th 2009, 1:20 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Methinks otherwise.

You are on an L2 visa? Under which you are entitled, amongst other things, to attend full-time places of education. Not work, true, but you are authorized to attend school.

NJ law states you can use the IDP as you are doing "If you are visiting the United States for a period not exceeding one year and are not authorized to work or attend school in the country."

Be careful

L-2 spouses are employment authorized and can apply for an EAD.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:30 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
L-2 spouses are employment authorized and can apply for an EAD.
Thanks.

I was giving the poster the benefit of the doubt that a basic L-2 was not in itself authorization to work, and that to be authorized to work the EAD was needed. That seemed to be the poster's position in a somewhat earlier thread. Didn't want to start a separate debate!

Either way, if the L-2 is considered official authorization to work then that's further weight behind the view that she is driving illegally and needs to watch out.
Old Oct 6th 2009, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Geico's word wont count for anything if there is an accident and a claims adjuster gets involved. My guess is that any claim will be denied.