British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   International Driving Permit? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/international-driving-permit-633132/)

Meryl Sep 29th 2009 12:38 pm

International Driving Permit?

Is it worth my while getting one of these? As far as I'm aware I can drive for a year with my UK lisence before I need to change it, however apparently it's better to also have an IDP for insurance purposes, and it makes it easier to hire a car should you ever want to- any truth in this?

Duncan Roberts Sep 29th 2009 12:48 pm

Re: International Driving Permit?

It means nothing, completely worthless. Most states wont give you a year unless you are a tourist. Once you become a resident of the state (start work, rent/buy a house, enroll kids in school, plus many more. Not resident in terms of immigration) you will have to get a state license pretty quickly. Some states it's as soon as 10 days, a lot are 30 and a few are longer.

Meryl Sep 29th 2009 1:09 pm

really as quickly as that? I wasn't sure because the DMV in Dallas says a year, but my uncle who lives there seemed to think it was 10 days. Will I have to retake the driving test then?

thanks for your help BTW:)

LJwedding09 Sep 29th 2009 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Meryl (Post 7974573)
really as quickly as that? I wasn't sure because the DMV in Dallas says a year, but my uncle who lives there seemed to think it was 10 days. Will I have to retake the driving test then?

thanks for your help BTW:)

It is a year if you are visiting. Once you become a resident of Texas you have 30days to get a drivers licence. You will need to take the 'written' exam and do the practical exam. Both of which are very easy when compared to the UK.

One thing to get the licence you will require proof of legal status to be in the US for at least one year eg. greed card or EAD...

Meryl Sep 29th 2009 3:37 pm

lol, I passed my UK test on the 8th attempt....oh the shame:rofl:...imagine it took me that long again!!:blink:

perhaps I should just get a bike...

Michelmas Sep 29th 2009 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by Meryl (Post 7975015)
lol, I passed my UK test on the 8th attempt....oh the shame:rofl:...imagine it took me that long again!!:blink:

If it took you 8 tries in the Uk you should fly through your Texas test on the first try.:thumbsup:

LJwedding09 Sep 29th 2009 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Meryl (Post 7975015)

lol, well I can only say its incredibly simple...you will take the written test and then the next day you turn up to do the practical part...they make you parallel park and drive around a residential neighbour to show you have the ability to control the car really...i would suggest reading up for the written part...its pretty simple but there are some nuiances between here and the UK that could catch you out...

Meryl Sep 29th 2009 4:12 pm

I'll need to practise my parking then, I haven't done it for years (and if the truth be known I avoid getting myself into situations where I would have to!):o

I do have a Texas highway code book tho so I'll dust it off I think.

Bob Sep 29th 2009 6:13 pm

The permit is only worth getting if you've got an old paper license without the photo other wise it's a waste of time.

And the problem with driving on a foreign license even if your able to for any length of time would be car insurance, just tough getting it and if you can, it'll be well expensive.

Meryl Sep 29th 2009 6:18 pm

do you think it would be better to hire a car first until I get my Texas license? or is it hard to do that too?

I start work 2 weeks after getting there, so I'll have to make it a priority to get my license sorted and get some wheels.
I was actually thinking of taking a couple of lessons, just to get used to the roads first and get myself less weirded out by everything being the opposite way round!

Bob Sep 29th 2009 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Meryl (Post 7975396)
do you think it would be better to hire a car first until I get my Texas license? or is it hard to do that too?

renting a car shouldn't be a problem, no idea if you can take the test in a rental, that depends on the state.

the test is easy, just read the penalty points for under age drinking would be the main one...

osgood Sep 29th 2009 7:08 pm

I would get the permit as a photo-id for you,no need to have your passport in your pocket all the time...i would rent a car for a month/week best deal...some c.c will cover supplemental ins they like to upsell.i.e.car hire/$25day,ins.$25 day...of course you have no ins in the state's yet.so maybe you will have to pay extra's along with adv,car hire fee....most rental's are automatic/no clutch...perhap's that will be strange too....you will pass your driver's test no problem...good luck.

Bob Sep 29th 2009 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by osgood (Post 7975481)
I would get the permit as a photo-id for you,no need to have your passport in your pocket all the time...

waste of money as a ID as it won't be accepted at most places like a grocery store to get booze.

lisa67 Sep 29th 2009 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7975494)
waste of money as a ID as it won't be accepted at most places like a grocery store to get booze.

my Mum used her UK bus pass to buy booze last time she was over...I think they were so confused by what it was that they just let ger get away with it!! :rofl:

Meryl Sep 29th 2009 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 7975451)
renting a car shouldn't be a problem, no idea if you can take the test in a rental, that depends on the state.

the test is easy, just read the penalty points for under age drinking would be the main one...

can you take the test in an instructer's car like you can in the uk? I don't mind leasing a car for a month or two until I have all the correct documents, I assume that my insurance will be pretty high in the beginning any way as I'll basically be a new driver.