Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

international driving license extension

international driving license extension

Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

jpm79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default international driving license extension

hi all, this is first post on here, and unfortunately it is a plea for help and advice. I am now living in the US and have a green card etc, but not a driving license, I didn’t realise but my international driving license is running out very soon and I have just failed my driving test (very embarrassed ) anyway I can't get another test date before my international License expires. I spoke to the DMV and they said it may be possible to get an extension from the British embassy, has anyone ever done this, how easy was it and how quickly was it done?

please help I am not sure I can go without driving ...
Old Feb 4th 2011, 6:57 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: international driving license extension

does the british embassy have anything to do with international driving licenses ?
I sincerely doubt it.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:01 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Check that your state will accept the International Drivers License extension, if your state limits the time that you can use a non state issued license to, say 6 months, then getting an extension on the International license (which probably wasn't needed in the first place) will not make you legal after you have been in state for over six months..
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Why do you need an international driving permit. Do you not have a UK license? The permit is only a translation of the originating countries license so it can be read by the host country. As both the UK and US print their licenses in English no translation is required.

If the international permit has expired you have more than likely already exceeded the time you can drive on your UK license here.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

In California, they don't recognise the International Drivers Licence !

"The State of California does not recognize an International Driving Permit (IDP) as a valid driver license. California does recognize a valid driver license that is issued by a foreign jurisdiction (country, state, territory) of which the license holder is a resident"

..... and according to the DMV website, if you are a resident of California, you have to get a Californian Drivers licence within 10 days of your arrival (as if that is even physically possible )

So hope you do not live in California for your sake.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

OP, which state are you in?
Many states require you to get a license within a certain amount of time. It is very state specific. I'm suprised you've been able to be insured just driving on an international license
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

I'm in PA, and I was able to get insurance on my wifes policy, both cars are in her name and I am a named driver. They are aware I have an international license and were willing to insure me.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

in PA you can drive for 1 year on an international license, I got my license before I moved to the states, so the license is going to expire before my one year mark.

After looking at the AA website, you can apparently apply for the IDP via post and they will post to an overseas address, so problem maybe solved.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpm79
I'm in PA, and I was able to get insurance on my wifes policy, both cars are in her name and I am a named driver. They are aware I have an international license and were willing to insure me.
But does it mean that they would pay out in case of a claim? (if on an extended IDL) as you state that "in PA you can drive for 1 year on an international license" (I assume your year is about to be up)

edit : read your post again.....so you just want to use a none state license to fill in the time up to the full year in PA? That sounds fine.

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 4th 2011 at 8:20 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
But does it mean that they would pay out in case of a claim? (if on an extended license)
I was worried, my friend is in NJ and he said to check, check and check again, so I asked the agent direct and they said yes everything was ok.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:18 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

...and by "International License" they mean your UK license, not the "International Drivers Permit", which is pretty much useless in the US.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'm somewhat confused. Why in the world do you even need the International License? You have your UK license correct, and it's not expired? That should be all you need.

My husband did decide to get the IDP before he left the UK, and it was never even asked for here in KY. The state of KY required him to have a learner permit for 30days before he could sit the KY road test, so him having a foreign license didn't matter in the least.

I realize every state is different, but after 6years of being on this forum, I have yet to hear anyone state an IDP was a requirement to get a driver's license in any US state. You don't even need the IDP to drive, as long as you have a valid foreign license.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

I just another test time before my IDP expires so all my problems might be over
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:28 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

The question is not whether an IDP is required by law, it is whether it is required by the person you are dealing with. THAT is the benefit of it in my experience.

I first landed in PA, and as noted above the State rules clearly say it is recognized for up to 12 months. When I tried to get insurance in PA I was specifically asked to produce the IDP to get insurance. Now, whether I actually needed to or not is one thing, but for the sake of a fiver (or whatever it costs) it was far simpler to produce it, get insured, and move on, than to argue, find another agent who thought different, etc.

So, my view, whatever the legal bumf, is that it is worth grabbing one of these before moving over here. New arrivals face enough hassles and having the document potentially removes one of them.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by celticgrid
The question is not whether an IDP is required by law, it is whether it is required by the person you are dealing with. THAT is the benefit of it in my experience.

I first landed in PA, and as noted above the State rules clearly say it is recognized for up to 12 months. When I tried to get insurance in PA I was specifically asked to produce the IDP to get insurance. Now, whether I actually needed to or not is one thing, but for the sake of a fiver (or whatever it costs) it was far simpler to produce it, get insured, and move on, than to argue, find another agent who thought different, etc.

So, my view, whatever the legal bumf, is that it is worth grabbing one of these before moving over here. New arrivals face enough hassles and having the document potentially removes one of them.
I agree for sake of 5 pounds it is well worth it. and to date, the only person who ever asked to see it was a car dealer, and he was happy to let me take a test drive in one of his cars, on my own, just on the IDP and uk license.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.