Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

International Driving License

International Driving License

Old Feb 19th 2020, 5:14 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Driving License

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Out of interest, are there any rules or exclusion periods on re-establishing residency if a Canadian wanted to move back to Ontario for the express purposes of obtaining healthcare?

When does Ontario consider someone to be a resident?

Yes, as Christmas advised .... it is 3 months. Himself thought he could just waltz across the border and use his healthcare. Had a rude awakening.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 10:50 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Just weighing in here regarding validity of driving license...
I lived in France and my UK license was perfectly valid for use there. They can make you exchange it for a french one if you commit a driving offense in France. You can't change the address on the UK license to a french address but it is still perfectly valid.
In any case, now when I go back to the UK, I use my Texas license. It hasn't happened but if I should get stopped for speeding, I'll be pulling that one out
Old Feb 21st 2020, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Resident Alien
so in a nutshell, it seems my only option for the intl license is to go back to the U.K. and head to a post office and do the normal process linked to my U.K. address? Well, that is short of getting a US license which maybe I’ll do between now and April, when I go to Japan.
Correct. Legally, you an only get an IDP from a recognized organization in the country the license is issued in. I would apply from a New York license and go that route. And, yes, you most definitely won't be able to rent a car in Japan without one, assuming that was your plan.