Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

international driving license

Wikiposts

international driving license

Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:46 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: international driving license

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I find fake smiling and being heavily sarcastic at the same time works very well...
LOL! Crap....why didn't I try that first?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:48 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, the person at the DMV office who marked my written test seemed really surprised that I got all the questions right. I don't think anyone had ever done that before. Must have really made her day
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
I find fake smiling and being heavily sarcastic at the same time works very well...
sounds like good advice to me, the woman has only been in usa 6 months, i think it was the fact that i dared to argue with her despite the fact she was a moderator which pissed her off the most to be honest.
ah well i should learn to keep my trap shut
Old Jul 11th 2006, 3:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
sounds like good advice to me, the woman has only been in usa 6 months, i think it was the fact that i dared to argue with her despite the fact she was a moderator which pissed her off the most to be honest.

Better watch yourself with the mods here then. Nasty, unfriendly lot they are...always sending out insulting PM's...oh dear is this the nastiness thread?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:03 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Get used to it. Seriously, I'm always getting into trouble over here in the US because I dare to exert my own personality. To get on in the USA you need to learn how to smile a big fake smile and agree with everyone, and act like nothing's too much trouble. The old English sarcasm will go down like a lead balloon here. It's been a hard lesson for me to learn and it's taken me 3 years to learn it, but I think I understand how to play the game.
The one that stands out in my mind was when a yank friend asked where my son was, I replied, 'Oh, I left him out in the truck!' Which is obviously a joke (well to us Brits), but they said, 'oh you can't leave him out there, it's 110 degrees!'
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:04 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but that's no fun!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:25 am
Just Joined

eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough

The driving part is also absurd. I had to reverse out of a parking spot, making 5 right turns (" a block") and parking parallel to the kerb.

Thats how easy it is to get a license and is also why american drivers are some of the worst. Would love for someone to do a study/show where they put american drivers through a UK sytle test (let them drive on the right) and see how many pass.
When I did mine in MA there was snow so when we came to the 3-point turn the road was too narrow for me to do it properly (i.e. not turn wheels while stationary, etc), so I took 5 points not 3.

The trooper then said "I told you to do a 3 point turn - you just took 5".

I turned to him, smiled, didn't use the handbrake when changing direction, turned the wheels while stationary, crossed my hands when turning and did it in 3.

"Fine, you've passed", he said.

I laughed my arse off all the way home - my Dad was a driving instructor in the UK and would have failed me immediately.

What was even more fun was that my USC wife technically had to move my car from where I'd parked to enter the RMV to where they started the tests (they'd taken my provisional license so technically I wasn't allowed to drive at that point). The only problem was that she doesn't know how to drive a manual and this didn't seem like the time for a first lesson so I had to drive it over when the instructor wasn't looking .

Martin
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:26 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eepgmik
When I did mine in MA there was snow so when we came to the 3-point turn the road was too narrow for me to do it properly (i.e. not turn wheels while stationary, etc), so I took 5 points not 3.

I turned to him, smiled, didn't use the handbrake when changing direction, turned the wheels while stationary, crossed my hands when turning and did it in 3.

I laughed my arse off all the way home - my Dad was a driving instructor in the UK and would have failed me immediately.

What was even more fun was that my USC wife technically had to move my car from where I'd parked to enter the RMV to where they started the tests (they'd taken my provisional license so technically I wasn't allowed to drive at that point). The only problem was that she doesn't know how to drive a manual and this didn't seem like the time for a first lesson so I had to drive it over when the instructor wasn't looking .

Martin
Are you David Baddiels brother?
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:36 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Are you David Baddiels brother?
hahaha, wow, he does look like him!
Old Jul 11th 2006, 4:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eepgmik

Martin
When my daughter was learning to drive she said the instructor encouraged her to drive with one hand and cross her arms when turning the steering wheel.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 5:02 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

does anyone knoe if i need an international drivers license?
i am moving to az in sept
there seems to be a bit of conflicting advice
anyone?
We have International driving permits but we must get round to taking the test. Here in PA you have to have a medical before you take the test and when we first moved here we didn't have a doctor etc. The driver centre here were happy for us to drive for a year on the permit but only 90 days on our UK licence. Also if we had moved from France we could have just transferred the licence and not taken the test at all!!!! We just hired a car while we were on holiday in Florida (yes I admit it, we went to Disney) and Alamo only wanted the International permit because it had a photo on it.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Better watch yourself with the mods here then. Nasty, unfriendly lot they are...always sending out insulting PM's...oh dear is this the nastiness thread?
i know, i come here to be abused i like it lol
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i know, i come here to be abused i like it lol

You'll fit in just fine then.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Partystar
hahaha, wow, he does look like him!
Luv the pic....your son is such a cutie pie.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 7:44 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Luv the pic....your son is such a cutie pie.
Cheers mate, yeah he's very photogenic, he doesn't get that from me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.