Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

international driving license

Wikiposts

international driving license

Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: international driving license

Originally Posted by gsnichol
Yikes! An Italian co-worker passed his test last week. He described his afternoon: ten second eye test, three minute written test (which you pass because NOONE fails!) and wait an hour before driving round the block and reverse parking faultlessly, whilst the USC in front of you has 10 attempts. And then still passes.

Everyone says it's easy...

You can even pass the written test in NJ if you can't read or write.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 10:39 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You can even pass the written test in NJ if you can't read or write.
Gee Thanks...........
Old Jul 11th 2006, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Second
Third.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that the international drivers permit was issued for holidaymakers and visitors and was not for use when over here on an immigrant visa. Probably best to get your SSN .. take Az test and be done with it.

Jan
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:06 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Third.
What questions tripped you up? The only ones I saw that I wouldn't have known if I hadn't read the book were concerning the effects of Alcohol, which in the TN test are 25% of the questions.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
I was told that the international drivers permit was issued for holidaymakers and visitors and was not for use when over here on an immigrant visa. Probably best to get your SSN .. take Az test and be done with it.

Jan

You are definitely required to obtain a drivers licence for the state you are resident in, whether you are on a visa, GC or USC. There is a timeline for this which usually is between 30 to 90 days (although this varies). See Ray's post for what happens when you drive around on a UK licence. :scared:
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:11 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
What questions tripped you up? The only ones I saw that I wouldn't have known if I hadn't read the book were concerning the effects of Alcohol, which in the TN test are 25% of the questions.
The learner driver ones tripped me up.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:13 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah there were some of those too. The test seemed to be heavy on the laws surrounding driving ( alcohol, permits) and light on the actual driving technique.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You could've just said you can't read and write...or speak any language that they have a translator for.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:15 am
Slight chance of Showers

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You could've just said you can't read and write...or speak any language that they have a translator for.
As previously mentioned, Welsh or British English will qualify in this category
Old Jul 11th 2006, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Yeah there were some of those too. The test seemed to be heavy on the laws surrounding driving ( alcohol, permits) and light on the actual driving technique.
A good tip is "all of the above" is generally the right answer
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:23 am
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

The DC written test was amusing. 20 questions from a pool of about 50 I think. I had the leaflet with all the questions the day before. The question I liked was:-

The Traffic light ahead of you turns yellow, what do you do?
a) Slow down and Stop
b) Acelerate
c) Ignore it
d) None of the above

Shame it wasn't a real world test

The biggest issue I had was convincing them my visa at the time wasn't a Minister of Religion and that I didn't need a State Dept approval? (They finally found a big book of visas!)
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:33 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
i have got into an unholy row about this license on another forum, as i had been advised to get one by my recruiter as it would mean that i didnt have to rush about taking a driving test straight away, good god people can be touchy, all i said was this was what i had been advised to do, next thing i know am in big trouble because i dared to disagree with a moderator
:scared:
she said i didnt need it
i said i had been told to get it
boom
warning on a pm 'it is against the rules to disagree with a moderator on a forum'
mind you i was a bit sarcastic, but am used to recieving sarcasm on here so i thought it was normal lmao
Get used to it. Seriously, I'm always getting into trouble over here in the US because I dare to exert my own personality. To get on in the USA you need to learn how to smile a big fake smile and agree with everyone, and act like nothing's too much trouble. The old English sarcasm will go down like a lead balloon here. It's been a hard lesson for me to learn and it's taken me 3 years to learn it, but I think I understand how to play the game.
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:36 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Get used to it. Seriously, I'm always getting into trouble over here in the US because I dare to exert my own personality. To get on in the USA you need to learn how to smile a big fake smile and agree with everyone, and act like nothing's too much trouble. The old English sarcasm will go down like a lead balloon here. It's been a hard lesson for me to learn and it's taken me 3 years to learn it, but I think I understand how to play the game.

I find fake smiling and being heavily sarcastic at the same time works very well...
Old Jul 11th 2006, 2:43 am
Cornish Pasty Lover

Voltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura aboutVoltore has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
The old English sarcasm will go down like a lead balloon here. It's been a hard lesson for me to learn and it's taken me 3 years to learn it, but I think I understand how to play the game.
It's taken me 6 years and I still get caught out by my wife!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.