Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

international driving license

Wikiposts

international driving license

Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: international driving license

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As a general rule.....if its not issued in the US it mean f**k all! The world begins on the east coast and ends on the west.....you'll get used to it.....eventually.
Ah yes, but floating around somewhere off the coast over there somewhere are these other places - Scotland, London and Paris, England. Oh yes and Iraq.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
Ah yes, but floating around somewhere off the coast over there somewhere are these other places - Scotland, London and Paris, England. Oh yes and Iraq.
Makes no difference....like you said the rest is just floating.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 6:59 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Doesn't matter what it says on it.....not issued here....doesn't count.
And sometimes, e.g. with the Green Card, even if it was issued here, it doesn't count. The drivers license is the de facto id card for all americans and life without it is tough.

Bah you edited your post
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
And sometimes, e.g. with the Green Card, even if it was issued here, it doesn't count. The drivers license is the de facto id card for all americans and life without it is tough.

Bah you edited your post

Sorry but I did it 2 mins before you.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:06 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

International permit are for when your licence is in a foreign language ...
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
International permit are for when your licence is in a foreign language ...
Yeah, but if you phone the AA to ask about it they're very vague about that bit!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:12 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
Yeah, but if you phone the AA to ask about it they're very vague about that bit!
cos they are stupid ....its bleedin obviously really ...

When traveling overseas, carry an International Driving Permit ... even if you're not planning to drive. Should you need to communicate with foreign authorities, this recognizable form of identification can help you get on your way more quickly.

Valid in over 150 countries, the permit contains your name, photo and driver information translated into ten languages.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray

When traveling overseas, carry an International Driving Permit ... even if you're not planning to drive. Should you need to communicate with foreign authorities, this recognizable form of identification can help you get on your way more quickly.

Valid in over 150 countries but not the US, the permit contains your name, photo and driver information translated into ten languages.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray
That or it's a good way to get people to buy them!
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:32 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishnurse
does anyone knoe if i need an international drivers license?
i am moving to az in sept
there seems to be a bit of conflicting advice
anyone?

Get the International license/permit/whatsit -- the cheaper rental companies seem to like them for reasons known only to them and they're hardly expensive so it won't be a great loss if you never use it. Check up on whether your UK credit card includes CDW. If it doesn't you'll have to factor this in

Would follow Rockgurl's excellent advice and hire a car for a month while you're getting yourself sorted out. You don't want to be going anywhere near a car dealer in your first couple of weeks.

You need to get the AZ driving license ASAP after you arrive -- start reading up on the procedure now @ http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp. You may find you have to hold for documentation, although when I did it yonks ago the passport stamp was enough. Do NOT give them your UK licenses -- tell 'em Liz owns 'em and they simply can't have them.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 7:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Get the International license/permit/whatsit -- the cheaper rental companies seem to like them for reasons known only to them and they're hardly expensive so it won't be a great loss if you never use it. Check up on whether your UK credit card includes CDW. If it doesn't you'll have to factor this in

Would follow Rockgurl's excellent advice and hire a car for a month while you're getting yourself sorted out. You don't want to be going anywhere near a car dealer in your first couple of weeks.

You need to get the AZ driving license ASAP after you arrive -- start reading up on the procedure now @ http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp. You may find you have to hold for documentation, although when I did it yonks ago the passport stamp was enough. Do NOT give them your UK licenses -- tell 'em Liz owns 'em and they simply can't have them.

My husbands driven in many countries outside Europe and has never had anything but a UK and US licence. When we first came here to live and on vacation we just used our UK licence.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: international driving license

Originally Posted by englishnurse
does anyone knoe if i need an international drivers license?
i am moving to az in sept
there seems to be a bit of conflicting advice
anyone?
I drove on my UK license for 7 years in Georgia, got pulled over three times during that period. The cops never knew what the hell they were looking at when I presented them my UK one and sent me on my way all three times, no ticket.
I would not bother with international one, just get the US one as soon as you can, like Jerseygirl said it is your lifeline here to do anything, banking etc.....
it is what everyone recognizes here. You can also just get a state ID as soon as you get here which will serve as a Pic ID which can be helpful as a temporary thing.( you get that at the DMV) and you can do online practice test for the written part, (I think all multiple choice in most states) if you are concerned.
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:09 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Tbag
I drove on my UK license for 7 years in Georgia, got pulled over three times during that period. The cops never knew what the hell they were looking at when I presented them my UK one and sent me on my way all three times, no ticket.
I\.
I got stopped one in FLA ..on a UK licence ..$250 fine ...
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

englishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond reputeenglishnurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit

at £5.50 for the permit i will get it, better off having it and not needing it than needing it and not having it methinks
thanks everyone
Old Jul 10th 2006, 8:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Ray
I got stopped one in FLA ..on a UK licence ..$250 fine ...

LOL. Everyone told my daughter that as a teenager you get let off with a warning for your first speeding offence...she wouldn't listen to us...until she got pulled over and had to pay almost $200...and we didn't cough up for her.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.