Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

International drivers permit

International drivers permit

Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nicecosmicgirl is just really nice
Default International drivers permit

Since moving to the USA i have traded in my UK license for a Georgia one. When I go back to the UK and rent a car i have been told I need an internationla drivers permit.

Has anyone else got one of these?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International drivers permit

You will not need the International one. Just the Georgia license is sufficient to rent a car in the UK, if you have a Georgia home address.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:01 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmicgirl
Since moving to the USA i have traded in my UK license for a Georgia one. When I go back to the UK and rent a car i have been told I need an internationla drivers permit.

Has anyone else got one of these?
Total nonsence ..even a Georgia licence is written in English...

International permits are for visiting counties where a different language is spoken ..
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

nadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to allnadnad is a name known to all

"traded uk licence for georgia licence" - do i read that as you did not give your driving test in usa?

Last edited by nadnad; Aug 16th 2008 at 8:07 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 8:17 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Technically, you should have one. The IDP isn't just a translation of your license, but is a requirement per an international treaty that relies upon it to validate that your license is legitimate.

In practice, you shouldn't need one in the UK. I've hired cars in the UK and have never been asked to present one. If one particular rental agency insists on one, you can always find another agency.

A lot of the offers online for "international licenses" are scams. The legitimate ones are sold at AAA. They cost $10, and are valid for one year. You will also need two passport photos. You don't need to be a member of AAA to get an IDP.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:35 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: International drivers permit

Originally Posted by nadnad
"traded uk licence for georgia licence" - do i read that as you did not give your driving test in usa?
I want to trade my Australian driving license to get Virginia one.Do I need to give test again?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 3:37 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
I want to trade my Australian driving license to get Virginia one.Do I need to give test again?
Yes! Give, give, give!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not just get a duplicate of your UK License.

You did not trade it, you just do not have it in your possesion.

Sometimes a US License is easier to use to rent a car in the UK, which is weird.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:14 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smurtaza
Do I need to give test again?
yes
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Boiler

Sometimes a US License is easier to use to rent a car in the UK, which is weird.
Whether its actually legal to use your UK license when you are not a resident could be a problem. Would probably be OK, but I would not want to make an insurance claim.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely that is simply because the car rental place (quite reasonably) strongly prefers a driving license with your current home address on it. So if you live in the USA, that is your US license...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robin1234
Surely that is simply because the car rental place (quite reasonably) strongly prefers a driving license with your current home address on it. So if you live in the USA, that is your US license...
Nope. they want the Counterpart if you show a UK License.

And moving to the US does not invalidate your UK License.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:26 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Nope. they want the Counterpart if you show a UK License.

And moving to the US does not invalidate your UK License.
Agreed, obviously your UK licence is still valid. My point was, surely it is much preferable to rent a car using the license that shows your current address. I know when I rent a car at Heathrow, I always use my New York license. The rental agent always asks whether the address shown is my current address. I'm assuming that if I replied that it was not, then the agent would ask for some additional ID...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:01 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

My point was, surely it is much preferable to rent a car using the license that shows your current address.
Not always. Sometimes "domestic rates" going through the UK website are cheaper than the rate you'd get going through the US website. Also, you can't use holidayautos.co.uk (which is often cheapest) with a US credit card.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:05 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, obviously your UK licence is still valid. My point was, surely it is much preferable to rent a car using the license that shows your current address. I know when I rent a car at Heathrow, I always use my New York license. The rental agent always asks whether the address shown is my current address. I'm assuming that if I replied that it was not, then the agent would ask for some additional ID...
Another advantage is that any moving violations in the UK won't accrue points to your record. If you get popped by a speed camera, you'll have to pay the fine, but your driving record won't be the worse for it.

The US and UK do not exchange driving information with each other. Some Canadian provinces do exchange information with US states, however, so don't assume that going north provides an automatic get out of jail free card.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.