Reload this Page >

International Drivers License Expired in FL

International Drivers License Expired in FL

Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

Natasha27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Drivers License Expired in FL

Florida Drivers License - Non US Citizens

this is all i had found on the DMV website previous to writing on here.
I cant take my test as they are all booked up until May. Which is fine, but its after my international license runs out. BUT, my actual UK license is good until 2023.

Going to try giving the DMV a call, ive emailed but so far nothing.

Makes sense about the insurance. Sneaky!
Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Natasha27
Florida Drivers License - Non US Citizens

this is all i had found on the DMV website previous to writing on here.
I cant take my test as they are all booked up until May. Which is fine, but its after my international license runs out. BUT, my actual UK license is good until 2023.
On that very website click on Drivers manual and it says:

Who is Required to Have a Florida Drivers License?
Florida requires anyone driving a motor vehicle on public streets and highways to have a valid Florida drivers license. If you move to Florida you are required to get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident. This is important because if you are a Florida resident and are pulled over but you do not have a Florida license you could be subject to fines.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
On that very website click on Drivers manual and it says:

Who is Required to Have a Florida Drivers License?
Florida requires anyone driving a motor vehicle on public streets and highways to have a valid Florida drivers license. If you move to Florida you are required to get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident. This is important because if you are a Florida resident and are pulled over but you do not have a Florida license you could be subject to fines.
You Have 30 Days

Florida law requires that you get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident of Florida. You are a resident if you do one of the following:

• Enroll your children in a Florida public school
  • Accept employment
  • Register to Vote
  • File for a homestead exemption
  • Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months
But if only that last condition applies to make her a resident she has 6 months plus 30 days before she needs a Florida license. That assumes Florida does not comply with the Driving Licenses Convention, which until they are asked who knows.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You Have 30 Days
But if only that last condition applies to make her a resident she has 6 months plus 30 days before she needs a Florida license. That assumes Florida does not comply with the Driving Licenses Convention, which until they are asked who knows.
Agreed, and (if your assumption is correct) whether she has a valid British license or International whatever then becomes irrelevant.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You Have 30 Days

Florida law requires that you get a Florida drivers license within 30 days of becoming a resident of Florida. You are a resident if you do one of the following:

• Enroll your children in a Florida public school
  • Accept employment
  • Register to Vote
  • File for a homestead exemption
  • Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months
Good advice under the circumstances, but generally speaking, the best advice is to get a local license as soon you are allowed and are practically (test slots permitting) able to! I am not aware of any circumstance where it is beneficial to delay obtaining a local license until the last possible minute.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 13th 2016 at 7:52 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:51 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
...I am not aware of any circumstance where it is beneficial to delay obtaining a local license until the last possible minute.
Well it can be in MA, depending on your birthday because the license is valid for 5 years till the date of birth in MA, so if your birthday is in a months time, you essentially lose 11 months taking it straight away.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 7:51 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Good advice under the circumstances, but generally speaking, the best advice is to get a local license as you are allowed and are practically (test slots permitting) able to! I am not aware of any circumstance where it is beneficial to delay obtaining a local license until the last possible minute.
I couldn't agree more, especially as the various State driving tests are so much easier than the UK one.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't be too concerned - you're just another of the multitude of people driving around Orlando without a valid license or insurance.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 3:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
I wouldn't be too concerned - you're just another of the multitude of people driving around Orlando without a valid license or insurance.
But probably does not speak the lingo.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 4:21 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily so. Even under State law she might not need a Florida license until May.
You are considered a resident of Florida if you:
Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months.

And if you are a resident, you are required to have a Florida licence.

Who needs to get a Florida driver license | FL-DHSMV Answers
Old Apr 14th 2016, 5:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the insurance policy wouldnt have insured me though if they didnt take a british license ? Im so totally lost on this, so basically im not liable to drive at all until i have a FL drivers license?
Of course they would. It's money for old rope...you've paid your premium but they won't be paying out if you have an accident if you do not have a valid licence.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant
You are considered a resident of Florida if you:
Reside in Florida for more than six consecutive months.

And if you are a resident, you are required to have a Florida licence.

Who needs to get a Florida driver license | FL-DHSMV Answers
Yes I read that and even posted it above. As she said she started living in Florida in October, six months is April. Then she has 30 days to get her license which takes it to May.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah thank you for the swift reply. I was unsure if we were allowed to or not, and with me being here a year now, wasnt sure if there is time period that i have to do it within (international license or not). Much appreciated!

Due to different circumstances i couldnt do it as soon as i arrived, then i started employment, and that requires me to travel alot, then with travelling home - time just seemed to pass by, very fast!

Thankyou again!
See above, she has been driving without a valid license for a looong time.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
I missed the "I've been here a year now", somewhere else she implied she had been here since October. In which case her UK license is invalid in Florida by which even system you use State or international convention.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 5:34 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Post #1 says she's (present tense) here on a fiancée visa. She also says she has a "temporary green card". Something does not add up.

ETA I think the OP is just confused about everything.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 14th 2016 at 5:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.