Reload this Page >

International Drivers License Expired in FL

International Drivers License Expired in FL

Old Apr 13th 2016, 4:42 am
Just Joined

Natasha27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face International Drivers License Expired in FL

Hey guys,

Quick question. Im not one for leaving things last minute, but i seem to have totally forgotten on this one.

So i live in Orlando Florida, on the fiance visa. Had my temp green card through. My international drivers license runs out end of this month. Ive taken the written part of my FL drivers license and gone to book my road test, except every available appointment is after the date that my international drivers license expires.
Is this going to be a problem? My british license is still good, just not my international license. (slightly freaking out) help me pleaseeee
Old Apr 13th 2016, 4:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Drivers License Expired in FL

You don't need the international license. You can drive on your UK license until you get your US license.

That said, I'm surprised you waited this long. Most folks who come over on the K-1 visa get theirs ASAP.

Rene
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Ah thank you for the swift reply. I was unsure if we were allowed to or not, and with me being here a year now, wasnt sure if there is time period that i have to do it within (international license or not). Much appreciated!

Due to different circumstances i couldnt do it as soon as i arrived, then i started employment, and that requires me to travel alot, then with travelling home - time just seemed to pass by, very fast!

Thankyou again!
Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:11 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Natasha27
Ah thank you for the swift reply. I was unsure if we were allowed to or not, and with me being here a year now, wasnt sure if there is time period that i have to do it within (international license or not). Much appreciated!
If you have been resident in the US for more than a year even under the international agreement, which the US signed and most States don't honor, you cannot drive on your UK license.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Ive not been a resident for more than a year. I received residency in October last year. But my international drivers license runs out at the end of April. It says FL doesnt require the international license, but some insurance companies may not insure you (which my company did insure me). More concerned that the test centres dont have availability before my international license expires.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

bruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura aboutbruceba has a spectacular aura about

Ive not been a resident for more than a year. I received residency in October last year. But my international drivers license runs out at the end of April. It says FL doesnt require the international license, but some insurance companies may not insure you (which my company did insure me). More concerned that the test centres dont have availability before my international license expires.
Your international permit became invalid when you became a US resident.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 3:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you moved to the US less than 365 days ago in theory under the Geneva Convention on Driving Licenses your UK license is valid. However under Florida State law your UK license maybe valid for a much shorter period. You would need to check if Florida recognizes the Convention, very few States do. The Federal government signed and recognizes the convention.

The international driving permit is just a translation of your UK license. If you UK license is no longer valid for use in Florida the international permit is worthless. In fact the international permit was always worthless as it isn't needed for a UK license in the USA.

Last edited by lansbury; Apr 13th 2016 at 4:02 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with these cases is that all states have their own rules. I suggest that you check very carefully on the FL website and if you can't find the answer call or visit them. You seem to be referring to the requirements for temporary residents (ie tourists etc).

Remember no valid driving license (by FL definitions) likely means no valid insurance.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for getting back to me guys. Its a question i never find the answer to. I have been told by various people, also people who have done the visa process in other states different things. I called the local tax office today that deals with the driving tests and they said my british license is fine, i dont need an international drivers license. I feel like, especially round here a) they dont know, b) they dont care or c) as long as youre not causing huge problems then whatever. Im just going to go ahead with my driving test and better pass Thanks for all your help, interesting to see how much it differs state to state.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You're basically driving without a valid license. That's no fun.

Your insurance is probably also voided because of it.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob

Surely the insurance policy wouldnt have insured me though if they didnt take a british license ? Im so totally lost on this, so basically im not liable to drive at all until i have a FL drivers license?
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

Not necessarily so. Even under State law she might not need a Florida license until May.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Not necessarily so. Even under State law she might not need a Florida license until May.
That's why she should get an official answer from the relevant FL Department (not just the "local" office) or just get on with it and get the FL license now.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
That's why she should get an official answer from the relevant FL Department (not just the "local" office) or just get on with it and get the FL license now.
She only needs look on the Florida DMV web site and see which one of the conditions apply to her which trigger the 30 day requirement to get a Florida license. It's worth calling the main DMV office and asking if they honor the 365 day reciprocation policy of the Driving License Convention.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the insurance policy wouldnt have insured me though if they didnt take a british license ? Im so totally lost on this, so basically im not liable to drive at all until i have a FL drivers license?
Because they make money taking it from you, hoping you don't make a claim and if you do make a claim, can use the fact you were driving without a valid license as reason to not pay out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.