British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   International calling with SIP - need techy help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/international-calling-sip-need-techy-help-891966/)

petitefrancaise Feb 21st 2017 8:42 pm

International calling with SIP - need techy help!

I recently posted a thread about working remotely in which I said I needed a UK number. I got one from skype but skype has recently removed the custom voicemail message which means it is no good for me. They've refunded me so now I need another solution.

One of the posters - Olly - mentioned didlogic. I've been on their website and the numbers seem really cheap to me - about 99c a month and the calling rates are also excellent.

If I've understood correctly, I would need an android app and a pc app to use the number. And this is where I'm going round in circles. I basically need a skype-like app to use. Anyone???

tom169 Feb 21st 2017 8:45 pm

Re: International calling with SIP - need techy help!

Many moons ago I used X-Lite. Not sure if it even still a relevant option, but Didlogic has a tutorial... https://didlogic.com/support/setup-g...te-for-windows

Olly_ Feb 21st 2017 9:10 pm

I don't use softphones but I've also used X-Lite in the distant past so I'd try that. Also don't Android phones have a built in SIP client?

DIDLogic don't have a voicemail feature though - is this an absolute requirement for you?

dave2702 Feb 21st 2017 9:47 pm

Vonage allows you to have a UK number, to any dialing code that takes your fancy

petitefrancaise Feb 21st 2017 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Olly_ (Post 12186080)
I don't use softphones but I've also used X-Lite in the distant past so I'd try that. Also don't Android phones have a built in SIP client?

DIDLogic don't have a voicemail feature though - is this an absolute requirement for you?

yes, voicemail is essential - this is why the skype set-up was no good at all since they removed the ability to record your own voicemail message.

I don't know if android phones have a built in sip client - I saw various apps in the appstore though. They all looked a bit naff and nowhere near as good as skype.

livinginnyc Feb 21st 2017 11:15 pm

There is a cellular provider setup specifically for people in your situation petitefrancaise, where you can stick an international number (UK) onto their SIM card and shove it in an old phone - and it will ring and work as if you were in the UK (i.e, local rate calls for all concerned). I actually looked at it quite seriously when I was flicking between NYC/London as it supports multiple numbers (so I was going to shift my UK number for Vodafone onto it and get a US number through them).

Right now my mind has gone blank on the name of the service and Google isn't helping - so I'll dig through some old work emails to find the company if it's of interest? As it's cellular too, you don't have to worry about WiFi.etc if you need to pop out to the shops for a sec.

petitefrancaise Feb 21st 2017 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by livinginnyc (Post 12186158)
There is a cellular provider setup specifically for people in your situation petitefrancaise, where you can stick an international number (UK) onto their SIM card and shove it in an old phone - and it will ring and work as if you were in the UK (i.e, local rate calls for all concerned). I actually looked at it quite seriously when I was flicking between NYC/London as it supports multiple numbers (so I was going to shift my UK number for Vodafone onto it and get a US number through them).

Right now my mind has gone blank on the name of the service and Google isn't helping - so I'll dig through some old work emails to find the company if it's of interest? As it's cellular too, you don't have to worry about WiFi.etc if you need to pop out to the shops for a sec.

oh!! that sounds perfect!!
At the moment I haven't found a real solution. I have still got the skype number and I've just got it forwarded to my unused google voice. This seems to work way better than forwarding it to the cell phone and has the added advantage of a transcription being sent by email. I can still use skype to make the calls from my phone so that's ok.

Now for 2 hours of reading about orthodontics. deep joy. at least it's billable time!!:thumbsup:

scottyvisa Feb 22nd 2017 2:59 am

I would advise exactly what you've done (It's what I do too), have a Skype number forwarded to Google Voice for Voicemail. As you note you can still use Skype to make the outgoing calls. Not sure if there would be a better situation, and at least you're using very reputable brands. You could look into getting a virtual UK number that just auto forwards all calls to a US number, but would be no good for outgoing calls, and in my experience these can be unreliable.

TexasPenguin Feb 22nd 2017 4:42 pm

I use LocalPhone (www.localphone.com).
Right now I use it the other way around to you, I have a Texas number (where I used to live) for my US-based kids to phone us on cell phones etc and a UK number (where I now live). But I used to use it your way around.
Both incoming numbers ring my landline phone at home in the UK - a standard Wireless phone connected to a cheap and cheerful SIP box (Grandstream HT701). It works flawlessly, you have all the standard stuff including voicemail on both lines.
Each incoming number costs me 99c a month for the line rental and the actual calls are so close to zero as to be negligible.
My technophobe wife has no idea it's not a standard old-fashioned landline.

The Moose Feb 22nd 2017 5:27 pm

I'm finding RingCentral great...however it's a little more costly that you're talking about.

petitefrancaise Feb 22nd 2017 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by TexasPenguin (Post 12186968)
I use LocalPhone (www.localphone.com).
Right now I use it the other way around to you, I have a Texas number (where I used to live) for my US-based kids to phone us on cell phones etc and a UK number (where I now live). But I used to use it your way around.
Both incoming numbers ring my landline phone at home in the UK - a standard Wireless phone connected to a cheap and cheerful SIP box (Grandstream HT701). It works flawlessly, you have all the standard stuff including voicemail on both lines.
Each incoming number costs me 99c a month for the line rental and the actual calls are so close to zero as to be negligible.
My technophobe wife has no idea it's not a standard old-fashioned landline.

Well, I'm no technophobe but I spent a fair bit of time on localphone's site yesterday trying to figure out how to make it all work. I gave up and went back to the skype forum and saw that quite a few people have used the google voice option.

Was it difficult to set up the SIP box? I'm currently paying for a US landline from twc and international calling from my t-mobile phone as well as just having bought the skype number for work stuff.

I like the skype option because it tells me what number called me and when and obviously, I can make/receive calls from my cell phone with skype. I looked at some of the voip/sip apps for cell phones and they looked basic and old.

TexasPenguin Feb 23rd 2017 9:33 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12187057)
Well, I'm no technophobe but I spent a fair bit of time on localphone's site yesterday trying to figure out how to make it all work. I gave up and went back to the skype forum and saw that quite a few people have used the google voice option.

Was it difficult to set up the SIP box? I'm currently paying for a US landline from twc and international calling from my t-mobile phone as well as just having bought the skype number for work stuff.

I like the skype option because it tells me what number called me and when and obviously, I can make/receive calls from my cell phone with skype. I looked at some of the voip/sip apps for cell phones and they looked basic and old.

LocalPhone have guides on how to set up most SIP boxes.
PM me and I'll screenshot my setup pages and send them to you if you want to give it a try...
It was pretty easy. They also have an Android and iOS app that enables you to use cellphones just as easily.
Hang on this is starting to look like I work for them! Honestly I don't, just used them for around 5 years now from the USA and UK, never had a problem, the line has been up pretty much 100% and, as I say, it works just like having a landline in both countries but at peanuts....

hungryhorace Feb 23rd 2017 5:29 pm

Sign up for an account with sipgate.co.uk (you may need a UK IP to sign up from). Then use a SIP app on your iPhone. I recommend Softphone as, on iPhone, it supports CallKit.

Done.

DottM Feb 24th 2017 2:58 am

Another one to look at is voip.ms

I have used them with my sip server (freepbx) and it worked well but I think they offer a hosted solution also.

mrken30 Feb 24th 2017 5:34 am

The post regarding using didlogic used an obihai device. There is an app to be able to call through obihai using the configured sip service. These were on sale last week for $35.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-008-_-Product

They are on a amazon lightning deal at the moment

https://www.amazon.com/OBi200-VoIP-P...eywords=obihai

I have both vonage and obihai. Using vonage is much simpler, and has more features. obihai is cheap. I don't use any of the paid services. You may want to browse https://www.obitalk.com/obinet/ The service providers are mainly US based.
I would try and get a UK vonage account if I were you. It may cost a bit more but if it is for business it will cause you a lot less stress. It generally just works.