Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

International banker's draft

International banker's draft

Old Jun 1st 2006, 10:42 am
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of
Default International banker's draft

3 weeks today I will be in CA. Eek!

Anyway, now that's out of the way, I just wondered if anyone has experience of using an international banker's draft to bring funds to the US?

Some time between now and leaving, I am likely to end up with some money from an inheritance (probably about 30k pounds). I am otherwise pretty much broke (try being a PhD student for 3 years...), so I am going to need that money from arrival in order to be able to do practical things like rent somewhere to live.

I *did* have a Bank of America account, but the *****s closed it as inactive without contacting me. I can't reopen it from outside the US, so I can't do a bank transfer from here. However, once in the US, I still can't do a bank transfer, because Barclays insist on having me turn up with ID at a branch in order to do so. There is theoretically a way to do it via the customer service centre, but that involves writing to them and sounded like a huge pile of hassle. It would almost certainly also be far too slow. My branch advised that I take an international banker's draft, drawn in US dollars, since the amount (probably about $50k) is beyond the limit for an international money order ($15k). Have any of you done this? Any problems?

(PS: I passed my PhD viva last week! Woohoo!)
Old Jun 1st 2006, 1:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International banker's draft

Originally Posted by st326
3 weeks today I will be in CA. Eek!

Anyway, now that's out of the way, I just wondered if anyone has experience of using an international banker's draft to bring funds to the US?

Some time between now and leaving, I am likely to end up with some money from an inheritance (probably about 30k pounds). I am otherwise pretty much broke (try being a PhD student for 3 years...), so I am going to need that money from arrival in order to be able to do practical things like rent somewhere to live.

I *did* have a Bank of America account, but the *****s closed it as inactive without contacting me. I can't reopen it from outside the US, so I can't do a bank transfer from here. However, once in the US, I still can't do a bank transfer, because Barclays insist on having me turn up with ID at a branch in order to do so. There is theoretically a way to do it via the customer service centre, but that involves writing to them and sounded like a huge pile of hassle. It would almost certainly also be far too slow. My branch advised that I take an international banker's draft, drawn in US dollars, since the amount (probably about $50k) is beyond the limit for an international money order ($15k). Have any of you done this? Any problems?

I would suggest using XE. Do a search - lots of people here have used them.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:29 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Should be no problem ...
you arrive in the US ...open a bank account
phone the international depart of you UK bank
tell them to wire funds to your US bank account giving them
account number and route code( sort code)
should arrive in a few days ..
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:33 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Barclays branches in the UK can write a US check in dollars drawn on their office in NYC -- just ask at your branch. Will take a few extra days to clear when you pay in at BoA so make sure you bring some cash to pay in, too, to tide you over the first week or two. Maybe $5k or so in cash and the rest as a cheque?

Also, don't forget to declare all the money (cash and cheques) on the customs form -- they won't tax you or anything on it but you MUST declare it.

Barclays and BoA work well together -- they're part of the Global Alliance. Hence, you can use your Connect card in a BoA ATM and there are less charges than usual.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Barclays branches in the UK can write a US check in dollars drawn on their office in NYC -- just ask at your branch. Will take a few extra days to clear when you pay in at BoA so make sure you bring some cash to pay in, too, to tide you over the first week or two. Maybe $5k or so in cash and the rest as a cheque?

That highlighted part is VERY important, as I've had bad experiences with BoA regarding this in the past (they wanted to send the check back to the home country for clearance) and upon contacting their NYC branch, had the money in the account within 3 days.

Congrats on your PhD!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 4:52 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
That highlighted part is VERY important,
Agree! Could take yonks and cost a fortune in fees if it were drawn against a UK office.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Agree! Could take yonks and cost a fortune in fees if it were drawn against a UK office.
It was for my ma when she was here years ago. She was going to spend 6 months and the bank had run out of travellers checks that Sat morning she was in, so she brought over an international draft. Told us they'd have to send it to Europe where it was drawn on and would take six months! My mother promptly asked if they were sending it by slow boat!!!!!

I took it back, sent it up to the branch office in NYC, and had the money in my account within 3 days.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 9:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No help other than suggest XE again...but congrats on the VIVA, always a fun pain in the nuts no matter what eh
Old Jun 1st 2006, 10:26 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by st326

Wondering how cutina is doing? CUTINA?
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:29 am
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ray
Should be no problem ...
you arrive in the US ...open a bank account
phone the international depart of you UK bank
tell them to wire funds to your US bank account giving them
account number and route code( sort code)
should arrive in a few days ..
Gotta agree with Ray, but in addition, just use your credit card for the first few weeks for major expenses, transfer into the checking account you just opened in the states (at decent exchange rate) and then pay off what you owe on the card.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 1:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Wondering how cutina is doing? CUTINA?
Sure she was around the other day.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

When we brought money over from the UK we just waited until we got here to open an account with WF, then immediately called First Direct and got them to do a wire transfer. I think First Direct are the best bank to have when you are international, as they don't try the bollocks of insisting you front up to a branch for any reason.
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 3:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vicky88
When we brought money over from the UK we just waited until we got here to open an account with WF, then immediately called First Direct and got them to do a wire transfer. I think First Direct are the best bank to have when you are international, as they don't try the bollocks of insisting you front up to a branch for any reason.
Have to agree with you their Vicky ... I have been in touch with them a lot lately ..and nothing is ever too much trouble for them ..
When I call them from the US ..they always tell me to hang up and they will call be back ..and they do ...
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 3:26 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sure she was around the other day.
Was she at my requiem mass.....
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 3:57 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Was she at my requiem mass.....

Yep. It was her who sang the Dies Irae

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.