Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

International Autosource -- kosher or not?

International Autosource -- kosher or not?

Old May 11th 2006, 1:53 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of
Default International Autosource -- kosher or not?

Hi all,

One of the moving companies who quoted me put me in touch with a company called International Autosource, who claim to be able to supply new Audis, VWs, Chryslers and (some other US brand, I forget which) at essentially the price that US dealers pay. They came back with a fairly decent quote for an Audi A4, but I was wondering whether anyone knew of them. They also claim to be able to help with arranging both financing and auto insurance, in both cases avoiding the new driver in the US problem. It all sounds a bit too good to be true, so I just wondered if anyone out there had encountered this company. If true, it would mean a significant pain reduction, and probably save a bit of money too.

As a second question, does anyone know of a company that can do a similar deal for Subarus? I'm more keen on that option than an Audi, and I won't be much likely to touch any US manufacturers with an arbitrarily long pole.

Another annoyance is (further to previous discussions) I've checked out the CA DMV rules, and it seems that I will need an actual SSN card in order to apply for a driving license. Gaah. I actually *have* an SSN, but the morons failed to send it to me last time I was working in the US. I am concerned by the 'you must get a DL within 10 days' thing. It would be hard to use the 'not eligible for SSN' excuse as used by people waiting for an SSN to be issued in my case, because I already *have* one. And, insanely annoyingly, to get my card replaced, the SS office use the *same* ID as the DMV to verify my identity...
Old May 11th 2006, 2:00 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Autosource -- kosher or not?

Kosher? I know if you ask them to Simoniz the car the exhaust comes back three inches shorter.

I hear a lot of people mention them but not many seem to buy there.
Old May 11th 2006, 2:06 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

It's been covered a few times before.
Here are some threads to get you started

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ght=Autosource

Old May 11th 2006, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I know a couple of people who have used them and been very impressed. YOu have to pay a hefty joining fee to benefit from the insurance - but it could well still be cheaper that doing it on your own! Good luck.
Old May 11th 2006, 2:22 pm
Utter Newbie

st326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud ofst326 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
It's been covered a few times before.
Here are some threads to get you started

Thanks -- yes, by the looks of it they are for-real. I am a bit torn on this. I *could* buy a car outright for cash, but I'd still have the insurance hassle. If I go with them, they would sort out insurance, and I could finance it, which would be very good for credit rating. Also, they said that the insurance can be initially based on my UK licence, which could be incredibly useful if I have delays in getting a US licence due to stupid problems with stupid SS and DMV people being stupid. It would also be nice to not have this be an issue when I arrive.
Old May 11th 2006, 2:25 pm
Utter Newbie

Originally Posted by Big D
I know a couple of people who have used them and been very impressed. YOu have to pay a hefty joining fee to benefit from the insurance - but it could well still be cheaper that doing it on your own! Good luck.
I have full no claims in the UK, and have driven for over 20 years without a single endorsement on my licence, so it could save me a *lot* to have this taken into account.

My only problem is deciding what car to go for now. I suppose there are worse problems...
Old May 11th 2006, 2:41 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by st326
Hi all,

One of the moving companies who quoted me put me in touch with a company called International Autosource, who claim to be able to supply new Audis, VWs, Chryslers and (some other US brand, I forget which) at essentially the price that US dealers pay. They came back with a fairly decent quote for an Audi A4, but I was wondering whether anyone knew of them. They also claim to be able to help with arranging both financing and auto insurance, in both cases avoiding the new driver in the US problem. It all sounds a bit too good to be true, so I just wondered if anyone out there had encountered this company. If true, it would mean a significant pain reduction, and probably save a bit of money too.
We used them when we first moved to the US. Leased the car for 2 years and then bought it at a discounted rate. It was a good deal and we knew we were getting a good car because we had driven it for the 2 years. Had no problems with them at all, and always found them helpful and professional.

We didn't get our Auto insurance though them so can't comment on that.

Sue
Old May 11th 2006, 5:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I have full no claims in the UK, and have driven for over 20 years without a single endorsement on my licence, so it could save me a *lot* to have this taken into account.

My only problem is deciding what car to go for now. I suppose there are worse problems...
It's a sales pitch, your UK history will have no baring on your insurance rate in the US, you'll be a new driver.
Old May 11th 2006, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

We used them, they are kosher and fine. It is helpful to have their insurance to start with but we changed it after 6 months and pay half what we did.
Old May 11th 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's a sales pitch, your UK history will have no baring on your insurance rate in the US, you'll be a new driver.

My understanding is that they charge a membership type fee which makes your first 6 months $1000 ish - but thereafter its about half (this was on a friends Mustang) - they use AIG for the insurance, but it all has to be arranged before you leave the UK I think?
Old May 11th 2006, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big D
My understanding is that they charge a membership type fee which makes your first 6 months $1000 ish - but thereafter its about half (this was on a friends Mustang) - they use AIG for the insurance, but it all has to be arranged before you leave the UK I think?
our insurance quote for the next 6 months didn't go down.
Old May 11th 2006, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Kite Chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We used International Autosource to buy our Jeep Liberty back in 2003. We got a great price on a new vehicle with 0% finance. We made payments for 12 months which set us up with a great credit history and then paid the loan off. IA used our credit score from the UK - if we had attempted to buy as soon as we arrived we wouldn't have good such a good deal as we had no credit history here.

It really does take the hassle out of buying a vehicle - especially with the million and one other things you need to do when you arrive state side. We arranged our own insurance through a local broker which worked out alot cheaper than we had been quoted through IA's recommendation.
Old May 11th 2006, 7:45 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

One of the moving companies who quoted me put me in touch with a company called International Autosource, who claim to be able to supply new Audis, VWs, Chryslers and (some other US brand, I forget which) at essentially the price that US dealers pay.
I can't comment on this particular company, but as far as being able to purchase cars at or near "invoice" (which is commonly confused for being the dealer's cost, but it is actually amount above the dealer's net cost), this is not terribly difficult for all but the most popular models, if you know how to negotiate.

To know the "invoice" prices, refer to edmunds.com and kbb.com, which should provide identical information on this subject. If you are being promised a car at invoice, be sure to check the broker's figures against those on the Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book websites to make sure that you are getting legitimate information.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:35 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

You can forget your NCB from the UK you're same as a 15 year old over here.
Old May 12th 2006, 1:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
We used them when we first moved to the US. ....... Had no problems with them at all, and always found them helpful and professional. ....
Ditto, ..... 'cept we financed a purchase, rather than leased.

...... We didn't get our Auto insurance though them so can't comment on that.
Also ditto

Aside from being a good service, and good value, it is also an excellent way to kick start your US credit history. .... And I am proud to say I bought American - my Ford Mustang, and my Ford truck, have been 100% reliable, in an aggregate of 8 years and 53,000 miles, (and before anyone asks, no bits have dropped off ). Shame on those who move to America and then say that "made in the USA" isn't good enough for them!

Last edited by Pulaski; May 12th 2006 at 1:17 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.