British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   International Autosource - Car Loan (not lease) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/international-autosource-car-loan-not-lease-906364/)

petepete99 Nov 29th 2017 8:57 am

International Autosource - Car Loan (not lease)

Hi all,

Has anybody used International Autosource to get a car loan on a used car? They're well known for their 'Preferred Program' which you have to commit to before leaving your home country, and it's only for new cars.

They do however also offer 'Flex' and 'Advantage' programs. The former, I believe, is just a standard car loan, and the latter is similar to the Preferred program but can be used on dealer approved used cars.

It is these two programs that I'm interested in hearing experiences about. I am exploring loan options at the moment (I haven't even got my L1 yet but I'm trying to pre-plan as best as possible). So far, I believe my options include IAS, Advancial, LendBuzz and Chase, through its relationship with my employer.

All comments gratefully received

Pulaski Nov 30th 2017 1:24 am

Re: International Autosource - Car Loan (not lease)

Used cars in the US are relatively expensive, especially at the "mass market" level (cars under say $30k new). It is a bit different if you're after a Merc or a BMW, and definitely a Jag.

So, if you're after a Fusion (Mondeo), Malibu, Camry, Accord, or similar, I wouldn't buy used because until the car is at least three years old you won't get much of a discount over new. IMO.

petepete99 Nov 30th 2017 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12391547)
Used cars in the US are relatively expensive, especially at the "mass market" level (cars under say $30k new). It is a bit different if you're after a Merc or a BMW, and definitely a Jag.

So, if you're after a Fusion (Mondeo), Malibu, Camry, Accord, or similar, I wouldn't buy used because until the car is at least three years old you won't get much of a discount over new. IMO.

Thanks. I'll probably be going German, always have done.

tom169 Nov 30th 2017 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12391547)

I'd generally agree with this. For some perspective a coworker of mine recently sold her 1998 180k camry in fairly bad condition for $3k. It blew my mind.

quiltman Nov 30th 2017 9:13 am

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12391645)
I'd generally agree with this. For some perspective a coworker of mine recently sold her 1998 180k camry in fairly bad condition for $3k. It blew my mind.

Same here. Used car values are unbelievable! Just sold our nissan sentra - 1999- for $2500 and our 2003 Kia Carens (Rondo) with 210,000KM is worth over $5000! New toyota Vios is $19,000, similar for a KIA Rio and discounts virtually unheard of.

MidAtlantic Nov 30th 2017 11:34 am

Originally Posted by petepete99 (Post 12391643)
Thanks. I'll probably be going German, always have done.

You mean a Mercedes made in Alabama or BMW in South Carolina?

Pulaski Nov 30th 2017 11:45 am

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic (Post 12391720)
You mean a Mercedes made in Alabama or BMW in South Carolina?

Maybe he means a Volkswagen made in Chattanooga? :unsure:

petepete99 Nov 30th 2017 1:07 pm

I know I know! I never said manufactured in Germany :)

I didn't really get the answer I was looking for here, though. I assume nobody has used IAS for a standard car loan?

Pulaski Nov 30th 2017 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by petepete99 (Post 12391765)
.... I didn't really get the answer I was looking for here, though. I assume nobody has used IAS for a standard car loan?

Not that I have ever heard of, and there aren't many car-related posts in the US forum that get past me. I am a huge fan of IA though, having bought my first car in the US through them.

petepete99 Nov 30th 2017 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12391782)
Not that I have ever heard of, and there aren't many car-related posts in the US forum that get past me. I am a huge fan of IA though, having bought my first car in the US through them.

Check this out: Flex Program | INTLAuto.com

petepete99 Dec 21st 2017 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kalmam (Post 12403556)
I recommend <snip> for a used or new car loan. We received a very attractive rate and got the loan funded in 24 hours.

I've been thinking about these guys actually. How easy were they to deal with? And what criteria did they base their lending decisions on?

petepete99 Dec 21st 2017 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kalmam (Post 12403563)
Very quick and easy process. We applied online and got approval and terms in less than 15 minutes. Once we picked the car they funded it next day. Not sure regarding specific lending criteria, but they focus on expats/international clients so should work out in most cases.

Sounds promising. Was the rate in-line with the estimate/calculator?

christmasoompa Dec 21st 2017 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by petepete99 (Post 12403566)
Sounds promising. Was the rate in-line with the estimate/calculator?

Sorry, but Kalmam isn't a customer of theirs so take his 'recommendation' with a pinch of salt! Just here to promote the company I'm afraid.

petepete99 Dec 21st 2017 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12403572)
Sorry, but Kalmam isn't a customer of theirs so take his 'recommendation' with a pinch of salt! Just here to promote the company I'm afraid.

Ouch! That's a bit dishonest

christmasoompa Dec 21st 2017 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by petepete99 (Post 12403573)
Ouch! That's a bit dishonest

You'd be amazed how often people do it and think that we won't spot them! :lol: