British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   International Auto Source (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/international-auto-source-846834/)

ShanksUSA Nov 11th 2014 9:18 am

International Auto Source

Hi All,

Just used IAS to source a car ready for my full relocation date in Jan. I must say it has been really straightforward, for those that are debating what to do about a car it seems like a no brainer. (providing you can find something within your budget of course)

I am sure there have been numerous threads on IAS, but just wanted to share some positives for anyone in a similar position to myself. (L1 Visa, NO credit in the US and no company car provided by company)

Thanks

Sally Redux Nov 11th 2014 9:47 am

Re: International Auto Source

Yes we found them good.

I kept my car for 9 years and now my son has it.

Pulaski Nov 11th 2014 12:48 pm

Shanks, I'm glad to hear you found them to still be good. I bought a Mustang through IA in 2001 and found the service to be excellent. I have recommended them many many times since then, in fact so many times that someone at IA asked to speak to me! :lol:

I still have the Mustang. :)

ShanksUSA Nov 11th 2014 12:52 pm

Pulaski, yes very impressed - the biggest thing is that they are not jumping down your throat trying to get the deal done, they appreciate that these things take time - having worked in the motor trade for 6 years, this is far from the norm!

Big thumbs up from me.

Chapmandan Nov 12th 2014 3:09 pm

Good to hear. I'm looking at them right now actually but weighing up whether to lease or finance a used car (or just sort it out when i get there).
What did you go for with them?

smarty156 Nov 13th 2014 5:31 pm

I've ordered a car with them too.
Don't forget to ask them about car insurance too. Hugely expensive compared to UK but half what Geico quoted me.

Hotscot Nov 13th 2014 5:35 pm

Here's what I got.
Ford Focus Kona Limited Edition with free bike rack and free Kona mountain bike.
loved it for nippy Euro handling.

(Passed it on to one of my nephews.)

http://www.focusfanatics.com/albums/...na_Edition.jpg

PaulineMurray Nov 13th 2014 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by smarty156 (Post 11470869)
I've ordered a car with them too.
Don't forget to ask them about car insurance too. Hugely expensive compared to UK but half what Geico quoted me.

Hi, I am also looking at options with auto source. Do you mind me asking what car you decided on as i am finding it difficult without seeing the cars incase I don't like it.

Hotscot Nov 13th 2014 5:58 pm

Why not use this?

International AutoSource | Showroom

PaulineMurray Nov 13th 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11470900)

Thanks. Has anyone any experience of trying to get out of lease if required with international auto source?

Hotscot Nov 13th 2014 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by PaulineMurray (Post 11470979)
Thanks. Has anyone any experience of trying to get out of lease if required with international auto source?

What a strange question:confused:

Why agree on a lease while considering getting out of it somehow?
Who would actually require it?

PaulineMurray Nov 13th 2014 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11470980)
What a strange question:confused:

Why agree on a lease while considering getting out of it somehow?

Just thinking that if your circumstances change and you need to return home during the three year lease what would be the implications?

Hotscot Nov 13th 2014 7:32 pm

If you returned home there's not much they could actually do anyway...

But to break the lease legally you'd probably need to pay up.
If you didn't, in theory they could sue and collect a judgement, a civil judgement not a criminal one.
I don't think, (I don't know), if that could influence further trips to the US in the future.

Pulaski Nov 13th 2014 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 11471012)
If you returned home there's not much they could actually do anyway...

But to break the lease legally you'd probably need to pay up.
If you didn't, in theory they could sue and collect a judgement, a civil judgement not a criminal one.
I don't think, (I don't know), if that could influence further trips to the US in the future.

But the lessor can only sue for actual losses not the gross value of all unpaid future lease payments, and assuming you turn over the vehicle with its keys the lessor gets back a more valuable (newer and less used) vehicle, so while they might be out some fees for scratches, scuffs, and cleaning, the actual loss for a prematurely terminated lease wouldn't be much for a run-of-the-mill car (US domestic, Volkswagen, or non-premium Japanese), might be more for a prestige brand vehicle.

scott1sh Nov 13th 2014 11:44 pm

I have a leased car through IAS. I only took a two yr lease, which i don't really plan on trying to get out of early, but I do recall in the deal there is an early get out in the last 6 mths, if you are leaving the US. Just looked it up & my docs say....."Repatriation Protection Plan:If for any reason, you need to terminate your stay prior to the completion of your vehicle contract, simply provide repatriation documentation from your employer and IAS will cover up to the final 6 months or $2500 of your remaining lease payments." Hope that helps :)