Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

International Arrivals at IAH (with dogs!)

International Arrivals at IAH (with dogs!)

Old Dec 6th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ailidh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Arrivals at IAH (with dogs!)

Particularly addressed to the Weezes - hello! Well the time is drawing nigh for the arrival of the zoo in Houston. Our tickets claim we are arriving at IAH from Frankfurt at Terminal DOM - which I can't find on any map of IAH on the internet. My sister and brother-in-law are coming to pick us up and are trying to find out where the dogs arrive - so they can pick them up in case we get stuck in the usual 3-hour long customs queue in Houston.

As far as I know (and I've never taken Lufthansa to IAH, only British Airways and Air France), all international flights arrive at the same terminal and presumably dogs in the baggage hold do, too. Last time we flew into Houston was last December - so maybe things have changed?

My sister has been calling all over IAH trying to find out and can't get any information. Anybody know? Thanks!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:18 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Arrivals at IAH (with dogs!)

Lufthansa arrives in the same place as the other internationals. Your relatives should pick you up from E. You will clear immigration, pick up the dogs, THEN clear customs with the dogs. The dogs will be waiting on you clearing immigration at oversize luggage.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

for what it's worth I Googled "Houston Airport IAH international arrivals"
It brought up this page, amongst others:
http://www.airwise.com/arrivals/iah.html
......and scrolling thru the long list the ONLY Lufthansa arrival came into:
terminal D...... 1:50 pm LH440 Lufthansa Frankfurt Expected:
2:12 pm gate D

so perhaps you'll want to follow up - just to be sure.
I'd imagine DOM might stand for "Domestic" (?) - and perhaps Lufthansa does not come into the International arrivals terminal
Hope you have a happy trip

Last edited by MMcD; Dec 6th 2012 at 5:36 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Uh-oh, the plot thickens! I was wondering already about customs clearance. The plane's an A380 - so twice as many passengers as a 747 - and it takes 2-3 hours for passengers on a 747 to clear (as I have never been through Houston when they have bothered to open more than 3 windows.. despite the fact they flaunt at least 20 of them).

So, no way my sister and brother-in-law can take possession of a couple of fed-up dogs while we are trying to get through customs?
Old Dec 6th 2012, 5:55 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ailidh
Uh-oh, the plot thickens! I was wondering already about customs clearance. The plane's an A380 - so twice as many passengers as a 747 - and it takes 2-3 hours for passengers on a 747 to clear (as I have never been through Houston when they have bothered to open more than 3 windows.. despite the fact they flaunt at least 20 of them).

So, no way my sister and brother-in-law can take possession of a couple of fed-up dogs while we are trying to get through customs?
I came through Houston last weekend from Germany and there were at least 10 windows open (they were actually open on both the left and the right). The clerk who stands at the entry point and directs people can probably help you or tell you who to talk to.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

A quick Google suggests only terminal D is equipped for the A380.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:11 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

I've done the A380. Will post more detail later. They pick you up from E.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:16 pm
The worse half of Weeze

D is departures, E is arrivals in this case. Same stand for the plane.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 6:39 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

No. You'll have to take them through the agriculture inspection bit after you pick up them and your luggage.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

A question: are the dogs supposed to stay in their crates at this point? And how are we supposed to get the crates around? Our big dog weighs 50 kg and her crate weighs at least another 30 kg - no way anybody can pick her up in her crate. Are there porters in there??
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:33 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

A question: are the dogs supposed to stay in their crates at this point? And how are we supposed to get the crates around? Our big dog weighs 50 kg and her crate weighs at least another 30 kg - no way anybody can pick her up in her crate. Are there porters in there??
Ailidh, there are luggage carts available for free in baggage claim (no coin needed). They are not completely flat so they will tip the crate slightly, but they should be all right for the short trip through customs.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 7:50 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Yes there are porters. We picked to pay for one to help with our many cases and dog. No you can't take them out the crate. They have those massive flat trolley things. As you head towards the agriculture bit you'll be met and lead off to the side search area.

Edit: just remembered we got the drugs/food search dog in trouble. It wouldn't do it's job and came to talk to Sam instead! I have to say, it all went very smoothly for us and our friends who came to Houston with their dog last month.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

I hope that is MANY porters! We'll have 6 big suitcases and a cat along with the dogs. Personally, I couldn't lift 80 kg of dog and crate onto a luggage cart.. I hope there is a (recent) former Olympic weightlifter among the porters!
Old Dec 6th 2012, 11:20 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Ours was actually parked on the trolley.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 12:04 am
The worse half of Weeze

Also, wait times have got a lot better at IAH. On my last trip back (A380) I actually met my American colleagues at baggage reclaim - that's a first! The A380 has so much baggage it needs 2 carousels and takes longer to unload that too!

You may want to get your sister to park up 5 minutes away and you give her a call once you are ready to clear customs, with dogs in hand. That way they can be ready to pick you up outside E rather than park and you have to get in the lifts with all that stuff too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.