Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Interest bearing savings account without SSN

Interest bearing savings account without SSN

Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

BerkshireBugsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interest bearing savings account without SSN

I've been following a thread on another forum because it closely mirrors something I am looking to do.

I am not planning on becoming a US citizen at any point. So my main place of residence will remain the UK

I am looking to set up a US$ bank account as a non -resident which I believe this is easy to do. I will be using this to pay local bills by loading the bank account with funds. But I want to keep the amount in the checking account down to a sub 10K US amount. So I want a linked account which I can use to top up the checking account as and when I need.

I thought originally that it was not possible for a NRA to open anything apart from a checking account without an SSN. However I have read on this other thread that that it is possible but (understandably) involves filing returns in both countries. If you don't have a USA SSN how does this work?

Just curious!

Ta
Old Mar 28th 2016, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interest bearing savings account without SSN

Google something like "open a US savings account when non-resident" and you will see some of the challenges you face. It will mainly be an issue of ID.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 12:24 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, it probably isn't worth the effort. My checking (current) account is interest paying, and most months I get 1ยข.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:14 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

The most you're going to get in a reputable account is about 1.2 to 1.4%. Not much more than $10 a month for $10,000.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy
I am looking to set up a US$ bank account as a non -resident which I believe this is easy to do. I will be using this to pay local bills by loading the bank account with funds. But I want to keep the amount in the checking account down to a sub 10K US amount. So I want a linked account which I can use to top up the checking account as and when I need.
Ta
Hi thanks to you all for your replies. The purpose of the second account is to reduce the risk to the contents of the checking account. Ideally what would work would be a linked account with zero interest but not sure that is possible
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks to you all for your replies. The purpose of the second account is to reduce the risk to the contents of the checking account. Ideally what would work would be a linked account with zero interest but not sure that is possible
What "risk" do you have in mind?

There is nothing to stop you having two checking accounts at the same bank indeed I have two personal checking accounts in my name, at the same bank, myself.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 28th 2016 at 1:23 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:20 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You could have 2 zero-interest checking accounts.

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You could have 2 zero-interest checking accounts.

Rene
That thought occurred to me and it is probably the simplest solution. Ta
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:23 pm

That thought occurred to me and it is probably the simplest solution. Ta
I am still not sure what risk you think that is addressing?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am still not sure what risk you think that is addressing?
Dividing the money up in case one account gets hacked?

Rene
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Dividing the money up in case one account gets hacked?

Rene
Yup
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:41 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

For ordinary mortals opening a US bank account if you are not US resident is basically not possible. If you are wealth and can afford specialized services then there are banks that will do the due diligence required to get you a US account.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nun
For ordinary mortals opening a US bank account if you are not US resident is basically not possible. If you are wealth and can afford specialized services then there are banks that will do the due diligence required to get you a US account.
I believe that if you are an ordinary mortal and want to open a checking account it is relatively easy without an SSN. I know someone who has done this within the last 6 weeks with a passport, proof of addresses and some money.

As far as I know nothing has changed within the last 6 weeks to alter this
Old Mar 28th 2016, 1:50 pm

I believe that if you are an ordinary mortal and want to open a checking account it is relatively easy without an SSN. I know someone who has done this within the last 6 weeks with a passport, proof of addresses and some money.

You are correct. As long as you have a "government issued ID number" (in lieu of an SSN), with a passport number being most typical, it isn't difficult, so long as the bank doesn't have a policy against opening accounts for non-residents.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:03 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Did they walk into the bank or try doing it remotely? Which bank are we talking about? If you know someone that opened a US bank account as an NRA just ask them the questions. You've answered your own question.

Last edited by nun; Mar 28th 2016 at 2:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.