Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Intercompany transfer to Houston

Intercompany transfer to Houston

Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intercompany transfer to Houston

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
He did. He also said he was moving into technical sales, and mentioned, 'base salary', hence my question. Some commission packages are very advantageous. It's always possible he's not actually selling anything of course so commission would be irrelevant.
Sorry, did not pick up the technical sales bit.......
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Your Math Teacher
I

I am moving into technical sales. Company has requested me to move. No one will report to me.
So, you will be getting an L-1 visa?
Old Apr 6th 2021, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

gas is cheap in Texas .

check out the house / land prices for what you would be comfortable with in U.S.
consider if you have any UK prop equity to transfer. this has the ability to make a difference.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

LegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond reputeLegalEagleTX has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, a bit late to this. I know a few people who currently work and have worked in O&G in Houston and your package is definitely on the low side. As the company is asking you to make the move it may be that they are hoping to get someone of your capabilities 'on the cheap'. Certainly worth doing some research to get comparables that you could go back to your employer with. Perhaps a local recruiter might be willing to share their thoughts.
Old May 1st 2021, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Your Math Teacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your responses. I managed to negotiate 90k USD, 10k for housing. I get international school fees paid , $35k relocation allowance. Given its a sales role, i expect to make around $30k bonus. I am hoping to get promoted by the end of the year, which will bump me up by another 10%. I have now signed my contract.

Yes, it is an L1 visa.

Old May 1st 2021, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

I was about to say on the low side, but it is a sales role, and the CoL in Houston is favourable by metro US standards. And TX tax is not terrible (although if you buy a home there, they get you with property tax).
Old May 2nd 2021, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

hutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond reputehutchison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Your Math Teacher
Thank you for your responses. I managed to negotiate 90k USD, 10k for housing. I get international school fees paid , $35k relocation allowance. Given its a sales role, i expect to make around $30k bonus. I am hoping to get promoted by the end of the year, which will bump me up by another 10%. I have now signed my contract.

Yes, it is an L1 visa.
congrats on the new position acceptance 👍
Old Oct 10th 2021, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

jamieB79 is an unknown quantity at this point

question for the OP, did you manage to get your L1A sorted? What were the timescales? I'm in a similar situation but am nervous about the embassy wait times for appointments.
Old Oct 19th 2021, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

ianisme is an unknown quantity at this point

You say an L1 visa but you don't specify if it's an L1A or L1B. The difference is that an L1B will give you a maximum of 5 years residency whereas an L1A gives you up to 7 years. It's also much easier to transition to a green card from an L1A. You also need a commitment (in writing) from your company that they will work to get you a green card. If you are coming on an L1B you also need a commitment from them that they will take the steps necessary to upgrade you to an L1A.
Old Oct 28th 2021, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Your Math Teacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Jamie , the whole process took about 3-4 months, from the point I accepted my offer till I get my visa . This was because travel was banned from the U.K. to the US.

i came on the L1 visa (technical). This required the US to justify that my skills were in need. Furthermore I also had a national interests exception waiver .