Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washington'

Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washington'

Old Aug 28th 2017, 9:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washing

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Just stay out of Shelbyville ...
That made me laugh out loud.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 9:51 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washing

I know this thread is about visas and immigration but I'm just going to leave this right here for the OP.

I wish these young kids who think they know everything and act like they are the generation that invented drugs and think they are being cool because they smoke weed would meet my husband. And he could tell them how life can go from smoking weed to being a homeless heroin addict on the streets of LA, resorting to theft to feed the habit, being thrown into San Quentin for a few years, discovering you have life-threatening hepatitis from sharing needles, and the very, very long road to being clean again. My husband has been clean for over 15 years now but still has health issues as a result. He takes 8 different pills a day to deal with all the physical effects. Sometimes I wonder how on earth he's still alive after he abused his body so much and for so long. He spends his free time trying to educate today's youth on the dangers of drugs. He says "if I can just stop one kid going down that path, it'll be worth it".

I'm not saying everyone who smokes the odd bit of weed will turn into a criminal or move onto harder stuff. Just as everyone who enjoys a glass of wine won't become an alcoholic. But the lengths the op is going to, his past arrests and charges, the money he is sinking into this habit, getting into debt with a student loan to feed the craving....it's all starting to look like the beginnings of addiction to me. I've heard this story before and it doesn't always end well. I'm not here to preach or judge. I just wish people could see the other end of the story before it's too late.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrken30
Can you summarize in 200 words or less?
Well here is the first bit of the last one as a taster:

FULL REFUND $225 PALVI & AMIT, for retrospective complaints which included their capitalised words 'DIRTY' and 'DISGUSTING\ , when retrospectively describing their experience at my home. None of the dirt and disgusting concerns were raised at the time of their stay.. indeed they were most affable, relaxed, and engaging at, for example their late check in , on the evening of the first night [Friday], at breakfast times [both days], in the evening, etc etc All claims are unfounded and untrue, and are rebutted most robustly... and so.. in no particular order... here are the facts surrounding the case, not in any particular order `;- When Palvi and Amit arrived late, in the evening, at the house, it was evident to me that Amit seemed very distracted. He had stopped, close to and facing a wall, staring at it. When I directly asked him if something was the matter, he said it was NOT what he was expecting.. I enquired further and was told they had booked self contained units in Brussels and Bruges [from Investors who owned entire blocks of units/flat/apartments which they market through Airbnb, and they had assumed and expected the same in this city.
Copied into Word, 13 pages 9244 words.

A lady you do want to upset.

And that was just the latest.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

ilikeitlikethat is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the answer to my problem is easy enough to rectify.
Thanks to Google, I've found
Made a Mistake on Form DS-160—How Do I Fix It After It's Submitted? | Nolo.com
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
The US Embassy helps USCs. The US Consulate (or US Consular Service, in the case of London) helps non-USCs. The Embassy has nothing whatsoever to do with issuing visas. Visas are issued by the US Department of State via the US Consulate.

Ian

I didn't say that they did have anything to do with issuing visas but that the embassy was a link to obtaining a visa for many seekers, ie an interview. It may surprise you to know that a US consulate is also responsible for sorting out USC's non emergency issues not just non-USC's issues, consular affairs applies to all nationalities, the embassy is a place that houses the ambassador to the host country.
Technically I should have said the US Chancery London if we want to be splitting hairs but I'm sure you know all this.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

OK - now that the pilot episode seems to be more or less over, the question is whether or not this particular soap opera has what it takes to run for a full season or whether the best that the OP can hope for is an occasional cameo appearance on these boards from time to time ...

Old Aug 29th 2017, 1:34 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I didn't say that they did have anything to do with issuing visas but that the embassy was a link to obtaining a visa for many seekers, ie an interview.
I don't want to split hairs either but, in talking about the Embassy, you wrote: "... firstly they are there to serve US citizens and secondly as the last link in the visa issuing process." In an (admittedly) clumsy manner, I was simply trying to point out that they are not the last link... because they play no part whatsoever in the visa issuing process. The Embassy doesn't conduct visa interviews - those are conducted by the US Consular Service which is not part of the Embassy.

Ian
Old Aug 29th 2017, 2:02 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
OK - now that the pilot episode seems to be more or less over, the question is whether or not this particular soap opera has what it takes to run for a full season or whether the best that the OP can hope for is an occasional cameo appearance on these boards from time to time ...

It could run and run. like breaking bad the possibilities are endless.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
It could run and run. like breaking bad the possibilities are endless.
... but, unfortunately, the central character just isn't that interesting ...
Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:04 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065

Personally, all I'm interested in are the guitars to be quite honest.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Aug 29th 2017, 4:23 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
This is satire, right? Tell me it's satire.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

This is satire, right? Tell me it's satire.
I so wish I could tell you that but no, it's real!
Old Aug 29th 2017, 6:07 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

For those of us living in Oregon, if he actually made it here, there is the possibility of some entertainment by way of reports of his exploits on the local news stations.
Old Aug 29th 2017, 12:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
For those of us living in Oregon, if he actually made it here, there is the possibility of some entertainment by way of reports of his exploits on the local news stations.
Do you have a garden shed that he could crash in while smoking himself into a stupor with a half pound of BC bud?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.