Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washington'

Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washington'

Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:48 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washing

Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat
I study and will live off the student loan and grant and am an agency worker so I'm flexible, only having to go to work when booked and they send me all over London to interesting sites I've had the pleasure to work on or getting sent to work outside of London in the South East since I'm from London I command more money if I work outside of London and they also pay for travel too and this is when they struggle to hire locally they ship me and people like me to do construction out there too, it's sweet though, same job, better pay.
Not having a job to come back to will be a red flag for the officer at your visa interview. Do you own a home?

Rene
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

ilikeitlikethat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washing

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Not having a job to come back to will be a red flag for the officer at your visa interview. Do you own a home?

Rene
I have a job to come back to whenever and plan to have enough funds.

I've already listed all my employment and school details on my DS-160...
and since I'm a full time student, that's what I declared first with my school details
but, on a personal level; I know who I work for (what agency) and where I study.
Besides, in all honesty, I'd have to probably tell my school I'm going, show them my ticket or something since it's for so long (over the amount of time I can have off without telling them).
So, I have school to return to.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 28th 2017 at 1:09 am.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 1:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
It will make more sense to send a letter to the US embassy in Washington DC instead.

Their address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500.
I see what you did there!

Ian
Old Aug 28th 2017, 3:10 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

OP, you do realise you have about 30 seconds to tell the CO at the interview what your plans are for coming to the US, not 30 hours?
Old Aug 28th 2017, 3:15 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
OP, you do realise you have about 30 seconds to tell the CO at the interview what your plans are for coming to the US, not 30 hours?
Cautioned for cannabis possession in 2016, now wants to travel to Oregon. I wonder why?

I wonder less about the outcome of the visa application.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 4:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like somebody has started well in advance of the trip.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, Portlandia is now a tourist destination for UK pot smokers who wants to eat from food carts. Next they will be doing naked cycling tour packages from the UK. Now I know why they opened up a direct flight.

CO also allows for limitless pot, or did you mean Customs Officer and not the State?
Old Aug 28th 2017, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
OMG, Portlandia is now a tourist destination for UK pot smokers who wants to eat from food carts. Next they will be doing naked cycling tour packages from the UK. Now I know why they opened up a direct flight.

CO also allows for limitless pot, or did you mean Customs Officer and not the State?
Touristy things I wish to do on my day in Portland include
Voodoo Doughnuts (open 24/7) cash only, expect queues.
See the White Stag sign in the day.
Then I'd go off guitar shopping.
If I buy a guitar there, I'm not sure if it'll be fun taking it to dinner at Sizzle Pie. So I'd find some other food I can eat for dinner that day.
I also want to go gift shopping
See the White Stag sign at night, get my bus back to Eugene.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Cautioned for cannabis possession in 2016, now wants to travel to Oregon. I wonder why?

I wonder less about the outcome of the visa application.
I think it was a warning (upon further review of the copy I retained of it).
But either way, my ACRO should tell me & everybody what it is.

I've already declared it as a caution perhaps wrongly on my DS-160.
I'd just wait until I get my ACRO to see what it was for sure before re submitting a DS-160 if it was only a warning that I called a caution.

If I have called a warning a caution, I'm going to phone the embassy and ask if I can re do my DS-160 or would it invalidate everything?
I don't think there should be a problem to re do my DS-160 with all the correct information if I've gotten it wrong.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 28th 2017 at 6:37 am.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

If I have called a warning a caution, I'm going to phone the embassy and ask if I can re do my DS-160 or would it invalidate everything?
I don't think there should be a problem to re do my DS-160 with all the correct information if I've gotten it wrong.
If you have any paperwork from an incident involving police then you can be assured that it was for, at least, a caution. There is no paperwork issued for a 'stiff telling off'!

Calling the embassy is a waste of your time, they have two jobs and don't hesitate to tell you anything to get you off their back if you don't fall into either of those categories. I believe Ian has already pointed this out but to reiterate, firstly they are there to serve US citizens and secondly as the last link in the visa issuing process.

This is likely to be a long drawn out process for you so take a deep breath, slow down and submit the correct paperwork whenever it is requested.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 10:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The person you asked was probably thinking you were planning on taking cash, which you would have to declare, but you aren't, so no need to declare anything, of course, once you get to the UK you WILL have to declare your purchases, and pay the duty as you will be well over the duty free allowance, given that fact, would it not be as simple to buy on-line , prices will be the same, duty will still be payable, so it probably won't make things any cheaper, and, of course, the airline baggage handlers may well throw your goods around a bit so they just might arrive damaged.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

But either way, my ACRO should tell me & everybody what it is.

I've already declared it as a caution perhaps wrongly on my DS-160.
I'd just wait until I get my ACRO to see what it was for sure before re submitting a DS-160 if it was only a warning that I called a caution.

You need to get it into your doped up drug filled skull that no US embassy will provide you legal advice. They dont give two shits about you! Why? You aren't a US citizen.

If you want to ask legal questions then use your construction worker paycheck and your student loan and get an immigration attorney. After all, you are "earning" enough to get two guitars you keep harping on about.

I will give you some non-binding advice and that is quit the drugs. I think your manifestation isn't munchies, but rather verbal runny diarrhea.

The reality is that you won't be going to the USA any time soon. You need to face that realization. No more Oregano for you.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 11:41 am
UK->US

Katdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud ofKatdog has much to be proud of

OP, please make sure you return and let us know whether your visa (and entry) is granted.

The rest of us have bets to settle...
Old Aug 28th 2017, 11:44 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I believe Ian has already pointed this out but to reiterate, firstly they are there to serve US citizens and secondly as the last link in the visa issuing process.
The US Embassy helps USCs. The US Consulate (or US Consular Service, in the case of London) helps non-USCs. The Embassy has nothing whatsoever to do with issuing visas. Visas are issued by the US Department of State via the US Consulate.

Ian
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:13 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

And another thing, before you hand over your money do try a gretsch penguin or duo jet... [mines a penguin but has to be lh in black...]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.