Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washington'

Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washington'

Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washing

Originally Posted by ilikeitlikethat
If you are talking about Q15, that is specific to "articles" i.e. tangible objects brought into the US by visitors such as you and which you will leave in the US, but you are bringing cash or a credit card (which are not "articles"), so you are doing the exact opposite of what Q15 is referring to. ..... If you were bringing $6,000 of guitars into the US to give to family members in the US, then Q15 would apply to you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 27th 2017 at 11:40 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:22 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intention of spending large amounts on vacation & being advised to 'phone Washing

When you get back to the UK you have to pay VAT and import duty if you import I don't know what the rate is for guitars, my guess 10 to 20% so guess 30 to 40% in total .
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:24 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go, why didnt thr op just google

Importing A Guitar From America | Buying A Guitar In The USA |
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... I'd order them from Amazon if I were the OP. ....
I think he is talking about vintage, custom guitars, not stock, new Gibson Les Pauls.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think he is talking about vintage, custom guitars, not stock, new Gibson Les Pauls.
So I gathered.

From his original post, I wouldn't bank on getting admitted though.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:37 pm

Yeah, delusions of grandeur? he needs to wind his neck in and realise nobody in the us cares what he spends, only uk customs who want to get paid.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You, all, do realise that the OP is intending to 'smoke' his way around Oregon and neighboring states:

My trip has me in Oregon for 9 days, on a train for 2 days and in Wisconsin for 5 days, sobering up from the pot in Oregon (I know not to take pot across state lines)..

I think this is the most entertaining post we have had in a long while
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

ilikeitlikethat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
Here you go, why didnt thr op just google

Importing A Guitar From America | Buying A Guitar In The USA |
Thank you. I love this

Mr. Moaner (lol) paid £131.36 more but for it
- got to go to America and import one.
I bet Mr. Moaner, if Mr. Moaner was smart, would have thought to budget both vacation in America + guitar.

Now...
I'm likely to come back with electric guitars (if not 1 electric and 1 acoustic)... I have a rough idea of the guitars I want but I'm hoping to also come across something I haven't seen before too, so, what with hippie culture and 'Keep Portland Weird' maybe get an Oregon based custom shop guitar if they sell them and I like them / or some nice guitar.

My holiday, honest to God, is because I feel at home in Soho and live in Thornton Heath and study in Croydon and as an agency worker in construction in my native London, I've worked on fantastic sites here... I got scared I'd never get to enjoy America like I see on TV. Portland or Milwaukee are the biggest cities I plan to see... I'm really going to enjoy time off in America doing whatever American pedestrians get to do on their time off because I haven't got a license so had to find out all the public transport to see if I could do it and it can be done so I hope I get to do it.
Google Maps has helped me work but how to travel in America and YouTube has let me know how to pay and what it'll a look like
and how to buy these passes
(in all the cities I'd need them in in the US (different prices, I know them all for this trip though).
Like for Springfield/Eugene I'd use Lane County's LTD busses and local taxi services.

I've wanted to see more of America and go just to enjoy time off watching American TV and eating American food from my hotel... This was years ago and was just a passing fancy...

I saw this and fell in love with the city with the terrain and infrastructure and things we don't see in London earlier this year.
(old video, has changed a bit since, I don't mind)..
I want to take it easy here and enjoy my time off.

Then the guitarist in me who's a fan of US guitars, thought, I'd buy a guitar in America, because I can, I'd bring it home.

Then I learned of Waukesha near Milwaukee on a whim about Les Paul (gentleman who designed the guitar I like) and I found that I liked it and could go from Eugene connect in Portland to Milwaukee...
And then of course I was like... I want to buy my guitar there now/I want a nice Les Paul from Waukesha, but then... I was scared of missing out on any cool finds I like in Oregon for waiting to reach the Waukesha area to go guitar shopping at the end before flying home to England... So I decided (well I'm buying them anyway, might as well buy them both in America & get a holiday/vacation* for it too)...

So... I'd love the rate of electric guitars.

Then...
The person in me who loves to run like I love guitars (both vice versa equally cool and are really cool to me), finding out about near by Eugene (where I plan to go anyway while staying in Springfield) - finding out Eugene is Track Town USA was a bonus since it's the birth place of Nike (I love Nike) and Pre's Trail (this wood chipped trail to run bout 4.6 mile course) - became points of interest for me too while in town and now needless to say I really hope I can obtain my B2 visa to go.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 28th 2017 at 12:12 am.
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You, all, do realise that the OP is intending to 'smoke' his way around Oregon and neighboring states:

My trip has me in Oregon for 9 days, on a train for 2 days and in Wisconsin for 5 days, sobering up from the pot in Oregon (I know not to take pot across state lines)..

I think this is the most entertaining post we have had in a long while
Old Aug 27th 2017, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

There is. If you have half an hour to burn, make yourself a nice cup of tea, and take a read of this thread.

Well hello!!! My two cents worth reckon that by the time OP has blown a huge wad on attempting to gain a visa to obtain entry to a country that gets a bit lairy when it comes to live traces on an ACRO, he'd end up spending less getting them shipped here and have enough left over to get shitfaced on a weekend break to Amsterdam!
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Well hello!!! My two cents worth reckon that by the time OP has blown a huge wad on attempting to gain a visa to obtain entry to a country that gets a bit lairy when it comes to live traces on an ACRO, he'd end up spending less getting them shipped here and have enough left over to get shitfaced on a weekend break to Amsterdam!
It's like you looked into my soul and know me.

The thought has crossed my mind about weekend in Amsterdam to get shitfaced back in Europe upon return but then I found I could get shitfaced in Oregon at this mom and pop operation with the owners saying I can so it won't be public and all legal in that state.
Also, I've already done weekends getting shitfaced in Amsterdam though, but still good call, it's like you know me.
(I wanted to go to Oregon before I found out Oregon had pot). Now I want to compare Oregon to Amsterdam and I'm loving that Oregon is in the US and I love the US so, I'm hoping to go and advise it to others who might be interested in Oregon pot but won't have heard of Oregon pot (just Amsterdam). IDK, I'd like to say "Oregon gives Amsterdam a run for its money" but, without going and enjoying, I can't say this (yet).

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 28th 2017 at 12:27 am.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

It will make more sense to send a letter to the US embassy in Washington DC instead.

Their address is 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
So you don't have a job in the U.K.?
I study and will live off the student loan and grant and am an agency worker so I'm flexible, only having to go to work when booked and they send me all over London to interesting sites I've had the pleasure to work on or getting sent to work outside of London in the South East since I'm from London I command more money if I work outside of London and they also pay for travel too and this is when they struggle to hire locally they ship me and people like me to do construction out there too, it's sweet though, same job, better pay.

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 28th 2017 at 12:42 am.
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Is Oregon pot the same stuff as my pot of Oregano?
Old Aug 28th 2017, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

Indeed.

I mean I could order a new one, but what's point? I'll cost the same.
Finding a used one and bringing it home is fun too since I live in London and wish to play on it in London (so the extra kick for me would be guitar from small town America 'sorry', rocking out in London with it now with me).
I have years I'm looking for..
I already own a 1996, I was told by 1 store in Portland (for free when I asked if they sold them) that for the specifics I want, I want a heavier Gibson than the one I've got now so it'll be one from the earlier 80s before Gibson changed ownership and produced more chambered/lighter guitars (like the one I've got).
I've also got a slimmer neck on my guitar I love and I do love my guitar, but I want a Gibson with a 50s style neck, like on a 1959 reissue, so, I know what I want, and hope to find them to chose from (as well as seeing other cool finds).

Last edited by ilikeitlikethat; Aug 28th 2017 at 12:56 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.